A typical Final Fantasy budget

#51mahroflcopterPosted 11/18/2012 4:21:59 PM
The average multiplatform console game is anywhere from 20 to 28 million dollars and that doesn't include marketing, shipment, or anything else. Now, that's from a 2008 estimate, so costs have probably increased since then. Obviously mainline FF titles are anything but average, so you'd have to go to the next level. Any higher production games usually run from 40 to 100 million dollars on production costs alone (this doesn't include Halo, CoD, or GTA... they are in a class of their own and can rack up costs of 200 million or more).

Judging by the fact that most mainline FF games now take 5 years or more to make anymore, have production teams of 200+ people, have full blown orchestral scores, have a full voice acting cast, launch media campaigns costing in the tens of millions, etc... I'd say that a mainline FF budget is anywhere from 50 to 80 million in production costs alone and probably over 100 million with marketing and everything else thrown in.

XIII-2 and LR are not mainline FF titles so they don't have this kind of budget. XIII-2 extensively reused assets, animations, set pieces, etc. and LR is set to be short, to the point, and is supposed to be replayed numerous times to get any kind of satisfaction out of it.
---
"Mahroflcopter... mahroflcopter... mahroflcopter goes squa squa squa!"
Now currenly searching for rofl to fuel mah copter.
#52Panda_KunPosted 11/18/2012 4:36:34 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Panda_Kun posted...
I have a feeling Versus will be the most expensive FF game to date when it finally releases.

Considering that it's been in development for 9409320392093203920932902392 years, they scrapped everything they had for the new costumes, and then scrapped everything again for a new engine, I wouldn't be surprised.

Lol. The universe ain't even that old. But like hyro said, it was scrapped. They're using a modified version of Crystal Tools along with their newest engine, Luminous. And yeah, I wouldn't be suprised either if it cost a ton of money. SE better hope it sales like crazy;
---
He's Back, And He's Here To Stay..
The Only Official Super Panda of GFaqs.
#53Panda_KunPosted 11/18/2012 4:40:37 PM
Whoops, that should have been wasn't*
It's a shame I can't edit yet. Wonder why is that only for higher levels.
---
He's Back, And He's Here To Stay..
The Only Official Super Panda of GFaqs.