Square Enix on what makes a Final Fantasy

#121mrklarrydPosted 12/1/2012 2:50:34 PM
jaganshi2 posted...
While it's normal that most people will never embrace new generation-like things, such as the new FF's that came out. Check out any sort of board based on a long title series, or older entities in the market (Nintendo, PS...). Fans always complain with "they used to be this great now it's... or they just want your money. Take a look at the capcom boards, to the nintendo boards. It's the same complaints. "[Insert Game/company] used to be this good, now it's like they are too big to fail and just release for more money"....

I do wish people would be more open minded or knowledgeable with the Industry and how it works. The arts to the business of it. I have been a long fan of Square and especially the FF games. 4,6, and 9 where indeed my favorite FF's but in all honesty, FF13 and it's series is just SO well done that i think the anti-square/FF rants of "they are not like before" is just childish.

I've already been in the digital arts industry for about 5+ years now, and anybody who knows how cut-throat the industry is will never say anything against the Square-Enix of now. I'm not just talking about the visuals, but the actual game of FF13 is indeed a masterpiece of work. It shows that Square is that dedicated in their craft and not only want to be alive to the fans but also want to be something different for them.. and in an unbiased point of view, this (FF13) is their greatest work they've produced. Possibly the greatest work of an RPG, ever.

The whole "genius" level of all the Arts in it beats every game out there. It's not about the visuals/3d animation (which is indeed blood work to do); the music, the conceptualization and it's pain in the ass stages of making a # of concept designs in the form of from illustration to 3D, the story writing, the #'s of scripts, blah blah. That is very hard work, not just physically but emotionally, and mentally.. and given their time frame (since the markets set deadlines that they can't just disobey), they pull it off and make sure everything is set at high quality.

FF13 to FF13-2 was so well produced, it's gameplay was unique and enjoyable, it's Characters were greatly designed in personality and in image, the soundtrack was additionally outstanding, and most of all, they made sure that the fans got their money's worth with DLC contents that really make FF13-2 a game to keep your hands on for the year.Think first of how long it takes to create a 2d illustration of just one corner of a town, the number of concepts of this town the artist has to make, then providing a 3D corner of the town, to a rendered version or to a rigged version. For just one corner. Times that with the entire city, to the entire world. Plus all the new elements that will be suggested.

My -hope- is that this post is a joke.

But rather than go point by point, on the off-chance that it isn't, I'll just mention that the project director said publicly that the production was a mess of miscommunication (which isn't hard to believe, considering farms look like sewers and research laboratories look like futuristic zoos) and that the project lacked any unified vision from 2005 until about 5 months before release and leave it at that. Suppose you could call him a "dumb kid" too, though, to preserve whatever it is you so desperately need to believe. And that rant about Bioware (whom I've already taken two shots at in this thread, so it's not like I'm a Bioware shipper) is really, really weird, by the way.
#122Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 12/4/2012 1:50:15 AM
jaganshi2 posted...
YukitoRambo posted...
snip</quote

Again, please don't spread this farce about us refusing 'change', because that is absolutely false and you're either just not mentally sound enough to grasp that concept or you're trying to whitewash this issue in S-E's favor. We just don't like halfassed products being delivered to us in shiny wrappings, because no matter how many times you try to shine feces, it still is feces.

Yeah, kids. Kids mentally or literally by age who can't see with in the depths of design. You gave this whole post in order to tell me off but it summed up your ignorance of the industry? "No freeware and others pre-purchasing it" moots the argument of hard work? That statement not only shows you are ignorant but also some kid trying to pose to know it all. I bet you don't even know one one % of how difficult the first stage known as the conceptual stage is, from all the amount of detailing through freehand to digital in #s of studies while keeping track of market deadlines. I do predict a reply of you pretending to know how that is like and what ever simplification you've been imagining about what the guys at square are doing.

You guys couldn't embrace change because this game plays different from the first FF that got you into the series. They ALL had striking differences after 4. This was never less of an RPG to bioware, it was it's own RPG with own style just like bioware was. You'll likely try to reply making yourself look to know more about RPG's but in the end of the day you are the basic immature buyer.

FF13 in terms of production took more creativity and hardship than bioware and the rest you've mentioned has. You can tell that by the music itself. Only those who have experience about the industry can see the talent drawn with in square in making this game. You're distaste about 13, whether you want to admit it or not, is that it doesn't play like the FF that brought you in. You are the same type of ranting fan with the same rants on square doing a "moot job", or this game not being like an RPG as what square did... that comes up in every FF board even during the time FF7 was released.

OH MY! THEY TRIED THEIR BEST!?
THEN WE MUST ACCEPT THEIR POLISHED TURD!
THEY TRIED THEIR BEST.

cry me a river.

i can spend years working hard on a painting and it be a terrible painting with colors that clash, composition that misdirects the eye, and lack of understanding of general design.

just because they tried their best, dosent mean the quality reflects their work.

this project lacked decent management and it shows.

its like they spent a year making concept art with no idea what the story will be, and when the time came to put it all together they didnt want to waste anything or bother making new concepts to fit the story.

the ff13 games had been very convoluted direction on all fronts.
---
-choose death-
#123MagnaderAlphaPosted 12/4/2012 9:54:10 AM
Zetta-Honey-Boy posted...
jaganshi2 posted...
YukitoRambo posted...
snip</quote

Again, please don't spread this farce about us refusing 'change', because that is absolutely false and you're either just not mentally sound enough to grasp that concept or you're trying to whitewash this issue in S-E's favor. We just don't like halfassed products being delivered to us in shiny wrappings, because no matter how many times you try to shine feces, it still is feces.

Yeah, kids. Kids mentally or literally by age who can't see with in the depths of design. You gave this whole post in order to tell me off but it summed up your ignorance of the industry? "No freeware and others pre-purchasing it" moots the argument of hard work? That statement not only shows you are ignorant but also some kid trying to pose to know it all. I bet you don't even know one one % of how difficult the first stage known as the conceptual stage is, from all the amount of detailing through freehand to digital in #s of studies while keeping track of market deadlines. I do predict a reply of you pretending to know how that is like and what ever simplification you've been imagining about what the guys at square are doing.

You guys couldn't embrace change because this game plays different from the first FF that got you into the series. They ALL had striking differences after 4. This was never less of an RPG to bioware, it was it's own RPG with own style just like bioware was. You'll likely try to reply making yourself look to know more about RPG's but in the end of the day you are the basic immature buyer.

FF13 in terms of production took more creativity and hardship than bioware and the rest you've mentioned has. You can tell that by the music itself. Only those who have experience about the industry can see the talent drawn with in square in making this game. You're distaste about 13, whether you want to admit it or not, is that it doesn't play like the FF that brought you in. You are the same type of ranting fan with the same rants on square doing a "moot job", or this game not being like an RPG as what square did... that comes up in every FF board even during the time FF7 was released.

OH MY! THEY TRIED THEIR BEST!?
THEN WE MUST ACCEPT THEIR POLISHED TURD!
THEY TRIED THEIR BEST.

cry me a river.

i can spend years working hard on a painting and it be a terrible painting with colors that clash, composition that misdirects the eye, and lack of understanding of general design.

just because they tried their best, dosent mean the quality reflects their work.

this project lacked decent management and it shows.

its like they spent a year making concept art with no idea what the story will be, and when the time came to put it all together they didnt want to waste anything or bother making new concepts to fit the story.

the ff13 games had been very convoluted direction on all fronts.
It IS funny, because my main gripes with the FFXIII series have nothing to do with the gameplay. The gameplay's passable(though, like everything, it could be better and allow more control). The characters, IMO, were pretty derpy, and I didn't really find myself invested in them much like I was in past FFs. Though, to be fair, I could say the same for FFVIII(I probably felt the exact same for those characters as I did for FFXIII's).