Square Enix on what makes a Final Fantasy

#71leopardsnakePosted 11/26/2012 11:05:12 AM
Hitzkolpf posted...
King_Shortt_IX posted...
Honey-Boy posted...
good story telling didnt make the cut huh SE?

Toriyama made sure of that.

---
People who don't like FFVII are called contrarians.
#72TiaelPosted 11/26/2012 11:08:08 AM
Not all of SE, but too bad Yoshida won't have time to do a single player FF.

In Yoshida's opinion, the reason FFXI was a success is that it took the areas where Final Fantasy was strongest—cutscenes, dramatic scenarios, and story-driven content—and input them into an EverQuest inspired framework.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#73Panda_KunPosted 11/26/2012 11:11:15 AM
The title speaks for itself.
---
He's Back, And He's Here To Stay..
The Only Official Super Panda of GFaqs.
#74chocolatesodaPosted 11/26/2012 12:30:45 PM
Honey Boo Boo, I would take off the rose-tinted glasses if I were you.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI
#75DemonPathRevyaPosted 11/26/2012 12:44:35 PM
kupo1705 posted...
They can't make a billion games anymore.
Games in the SNES/PS1 era were relatively cheap and easy to make.
If a game fails nowadays, you're in big trouble.

They still publish some of the best game this gen, so they're still good to me.

They spend too much budgeting things like graphics and ambient scenery. By the end of the day we will get tired of looking at glowing chocobo feathers lol.
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
[Yoshida designs > Nomura designs]
#76Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 11/26/2012 8:04:06 PM
chocolatesoda posted...
Honey Boo Boo, I would take off the rose-tinted glasses if I were you.

Nostalgia isn't a factor here. Especially since I only recently played half of those games I listed. Good game design is immortal, no matter what age the games are from.
---
-choose death-
#77Lelouch71Posted 11/26/2012 9:36:01 PM
Honey-Boy posted...

Well it's not like the first 5 are games' stories were something I would brag about. Squaresoft didn't really start hitting their stride until FFVI and CT. The PS1 was when they were in their prime. Hell I would most jrpgs were in their prime during the PS1 era. The games sort of when downhill in the PS2 era though. However, they still make some great games so I'm cool with them.

Anyway I agree with what they said. Everything they listed is what I would expect from FF.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#78Honey-BoyPosted 11/26/2012 11:37:41 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
Honey-Boy posted...

Well it's not like the first 5 are games' stories were something I would brag about. Squaresoft didn't really start hitting their stride until FFVI and CT. The PS1 was when they were in their prime. Hell I would most jrpgs were in their prime during the PS1 era. The games sort of when downhill in the PS2 era though. However, they still make some great games so I'm cool with them.

Anyway I agree with what they said. Everything they listed is what I would expect from FF.

the first five games they were still trying to find a voice of their own. back then you couldnt fit alot of text on those small cartridges.

also, it was the 4th final fantasy when they actually told their first really good story. and 5, a terribly underrated game in its own right, also tells a very original and compelling story too.

these games practically invented the rpg tropes we know today and were ground breaking at the time. to compare them with modern games isnt fair. that would be like comparing the silent sci fi film "Metropolis", to the more recent "District 9"...

also, id argue they hit their stride when the snes era came to be... this is when they consistently put out hit after hit (ff6, chrono trigger, secret of mana) . when the ps1 happened, this is when they made some very bold experimental games and redefined the rpg genre. (ff7, ffT, vagrant story, parasite eve, xenogears)

especially xenogears... there are so few games even today that can match the density of THAT game.

id argue their absolute best games arent even final fantasy, save for the obvious classics like ff6, and ff7 and to a degree ff9.
---
~choose death~
#79DragoonGriffithPosted 11/27/2012 12:22:43 AM
I like FFV's story, because it's relatively simple.

FFIV's story, on the other hand, was bad even at the time it was released.
Someone here explained it best with the unreasonable "fake" death scenes and sheer stupidity of Kain's constant betrayals.

I'd rather take a simple "boring" story than FFIV's melodramatic and cheap soap opera.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEvtA4Uuwk
So much nostalgia already...
#80TriodPosted 11/27/2012 12:42:23 AM
"also, it was the 4th final fantasy when they actually told their first really good story."

I sure hope you don't mean FFIV, because that was by far the worst story in the series.

"also, id argue they hit their stride when the snes era came to be... this is when they consistently put out hit after hit (ff6, chrono trigger, secret of mana) . when the ps1 happened, this is when they made some very bold experimental games and redefined the rpg genre. (ff7, ffT, vagrant story, parasite eve, xenogears)"

Don't really see how most of those games are boldly experimental. Yeah FFVII was in 3D (even though it didn't really do anything special with it), and VS and PE had a fairly unique battle system (even though it was very similar to each other), but the rest of them just had a better than average story and a new feature or two, hardly "boldly experimental" in my book.