I wish they would remake XIII

#1dils-dPosted 12/2/2012 7:30:52 AM
Seriously. The setting of the game has so much to offer, and with the right execution the story would have been much better received. The progression of the game, whilst still divided in chapters, could be greatly improved with better map layouts, exploration and actual side-quests, not just missions. Palumpolum and Nautilus for example were really wasted when it comes to environment and NPC interaction.

The gameplay could be revamped as well, allowing players to move during battles and switch leaders on the fly. The summon system could change from being based on TP to a form of Limit Break bar. The Crystarium would have to change as well, but it should be easy to allow the player to directly choose the order in which s/he wants to purchase abilities and stats, instead of the linear way we have now.

The point is XIII had, and still has, so much potential that was wasted. It's really sad to think about how good the game could have been.
---
Because rainbows.
#2King_Shortt_IXPosted 12/2/2012 7:33:57 AM
The game had potential to be better than what it was, so maybe a remake and retooling of it could make it better.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#3mahroflcopterPosted 12/2/2012 7:46:58 AM(edited)
dils-d posted...
Seriously. The setting of the game has so much to offer, and with the right execution the story would have been much better received. The progression of the game, whilst still divided in chapters, could be greatly improved with better map layouts, exploration and actual side-quests, not just missions. Palumpolum and Nautilus for example were really wasted when it comes to environment and NPC interaction.

The gameplay could be revamped as well, allowing players to move during battles and switch leaders on the fly. The summon system could change from being based on TP to a form of Limit Break bar. The Crystarium would have to change as well, but it should be easy to allow the player to directly choose the order in which s/he wants to purchase abilities and stats, instead of the linear way we have now.

The point is XIII had, and still has, so much potential that was wasted. It's really sad to think about how good the game could have been.

But here's the thing: The same people who made in the first place are gonna be the ones to remake it. Same story execution, same direction, same everything.

Truth is, the story in XIII needed two games minimum to be told (three if they wanted to do it justice). That was never gonna happen because that's not how SE operates, and that wouldn't happen if they made a remake.

---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
The DmC Demo didn't hurt my butt, it just gave it a rash. The cure? Play Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4.
#4dils-d(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 7:47:51 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
But here's the thing: The same people who made in the first place are gonna be the ones to remake it. Same story execution, same direction, same everything.

Edit: Also, if you've ever read Toriyama and Kitase's response to criticism... they blamed Westerners for just not understanding their creation. They see nothing wrong with it, just like they see nothing wrong with the story for XIII-2.

If they can't handle it, they should let someone else do it. I heard the development for XIII was very unorganized, perhaps with the basis done they can get better results.

Truth is, the story in XIII needed two games minimum to be told (three if they wanted to do it justice). That was never gonna happen because that's not how SE operates, and that wouldn't happen if they made a remake.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. XIII could be remade without it affecting any of its sequels, (sadly, because that's how they are made) but it could then have changes that eases the transition from XIII to XIII-2 without it feeling so out of the blue.
---
Because rainbows.
#5CheckDaMicPosted 12/2/2012 7:52:46 AM
The game was linear because it was story driven. You would have to change that very aspect first. And by doing that, you then lack the impact from the story. In life you have to choose, one or the other, not both.

If they did both, the story would progress too slowly to keep my attention. I thought 13 did it right. Some parts were short though. I'd increase those.

Exploring all of Cocoon would be a great addition.

Gameplay wise i like the idea of adding movement during battles. Real time blocking system would be great as well. Other little things.

Lots more enemy variation (one of the biggest problems in 13), and the ability to backtrack to previous areas.

More boss battles, like Jihl.

A better post game then missions.. Instead continue the story. (Snow)

I don't know. It's a lot of little things. I like to see a remake just for polished purposes, but it will never happen.

Also... increase the difficulty of the game. Add trials and stuff. More hidden unlockables. Hidden bosses. etc.
#6VanilleHopenPosted 12/2/2012 7:53:20 AM
i dont know why everyone says the crystarium offers no choice.... It allows you to decide what role you want to advance and when...

Linear leveling is ff iv.. where you just level up and dont have any choice in how you're characters progress at all.. please learn the difference before you make stupid posts..

and ffxiii was fine the way it is.. amazing game

thanks,
bye.
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#7mahroflcopterPosted 12/2/2012 8:13:32 AM
dils-d posted...
mahroflcopter posted...

Edit: Also, if you've ever read Toriyama and Kitase's response to criticism... they blamed Westerners for just not understanding their creation. They see nothing wrong with it, just like they see nothing wrong with the story for XIII-2.

If they can't handle it, they should let someone else do it. I heard the development for XIII was very unorganized, perhaps with the basis done they can get better results.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. XIII could be remade without it affecting any of its sequels, (sadly, because that's how they are made) but it could then have changes that eases the transition from XIII to XIII-2 without it feeling so out of the blue.

XIII was so linear because the developers wanted to tell a story, first and foremost. A remake will not change that.

What I'm saying is that the story present in XIII needed an extra game or two to expand it. What I'm saying is that XIII should have been a trilogy from the start (i.e. they shouldn't have just Deus Ex Machina'd the ending after bum rushing the last 40% of the story while dropping crap tons of perfectly good plot elements)... not a stand alone game that had an extremely rushed later 40% with almost nothing with the mythology done on top of crap tons of story elements glossed over, dropped, merely hinted at and then two unplanned sequels that are so far out in left field that they might as well have just made a new story altogether.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
The DmC Demo didn't hurt my butt, it just gave it a rash. The cure? Play Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4.
#8mahroflcopterPosted 12/2/2012 8:21:39 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9badboyPosted 12/2/2012 8:48:07 AM
Or like this
http://www.neoteo.com/images/Cache/F802x900y900.jpg
#10dils-d(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 8:50:48 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
XIII was so linear because the developers wanted to tell a story, first and foremost. A remake will not change that.

There have been a lot of complaints about how the game handled the story. Personally I think the story itself was fine, but the game went through it far too quickly, and parts of it were put in the datalog, which is just lazy.

If so many players think they way it was done was a bad idea, it wouldn't make any sense to keep it if they were to remake the game.

What I'm saying is that the story present in XIII needed an extra game or two to expand it. What I'm saying is that XIII should have been a trilogy from the start (i.e. they shouldn't have just Deus Ex Machina'd the ending after bum rushing the last 40% of the story while dropping crap tons of perfectly good plot elements)... not a stand alone game that had an extremely rushed later 40% with almost nothing with the mythology done on top of crap tons of story elements glossed over, dropped, merely hinted at and then two unplanned sequels that are so far out in left field that they might as well have just made a new story altogether.

Like I said, if they had planned XIII with XIII-2 in mind, the plot could have been written accordingly. But now that it isn't, as a standalone game, it's not as good as it could have been.
---
Because rainbows.