I wish they would remake XIII

#11mahroflcopterPosted 12/2/2012 8:55:02 AM
dils-d posted...
mahroflcopter posted...
XIII was so linear because the developers wanted to tell a story, first and foremost. A remake will not change that.

There have been a lot of complaints about how the game handled the story. Personally I think the story itself was fine, but the game went through it far too quickly, and parts of it were put in the datalog, which is just lazy.

If so many players think they way it was done was a bad idea, it wouldn't make any sense to keep it if they were to remake the game.

What I'm saying is that the story present in XIII needed an extra game or two to expand it. What I'm saying is that XIII should have been a trilogy from the start (i.e. they shouldn't have just Deus Ex Machina'd the ending after bum rushing the last 40% of the story while dropping crap tons of perfectly good plot elements)... not a stand alone game that had an extremely rushed later 40% with almost nothing with the mythology done on top of crap tons of story elements glossed over, dropped, merely hinted at and then two unplanned sequels that are so far out in left field that they might as well have just made a new story altogether.

Like I said, if they had planned XIII with XIII-2 in mind, the plot could have been written accordingly. But now that it isn't, as a standalone game, it's not as good as it could have been.

Then remaking it would be pointless since it would have to be changed on such a fundamental level that it would be unrecognizable. They might as well make a new game in that case.

And that's what I'm saying: XIII should have been made with sequels in mind since the scope of the story was such that there was no way to even adequately do it justice in a single game (even with 8 hours of cutscenes). It wasn't and a remake won't change that, so I'm saying that a remake won't change a damn thing. The best they could do would be to clean up the story a bit... that's about it. For that, it's not worth a remake.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
The DmC Demo didn't hurt my butt, it just gave it a rash. The cure? Play Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4.
#12dils-d(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 8:57:59 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
Then remaking it would be pointless since it would have to be changed on such a fundamental level that it would be unrecognizable. They might as well make a new game in that case.

The point of a remake is to fix what is broken. Polishing the mess that is XIII's storytelling will not make anyone happy.

And that's what I'm saying: XIII should have been made with sequels in mind since the scope of the story was such that there was no way to even adequately do it justice in a single game (even with 8 hours of cutscenes). It wasn't and a remake won't change that, so I'm saying that a remake won't change a damn thing. The best they could do would be to clean up the story a bit... that's about it. For that, it's not worth a remake.

The story of XIII worked. Many fans were unhappy with it because it was poorly handled, not because it was short. XIII-2 was not needed whatsoever had XIII been handled properly.
---
Because rainbows.
#13mahroflcopterPosted 12/2/2012 9:13:01 AM
dils-d posted...
mahroflcopter posted...

The point of a remake is to fix what is broken. Polishing the mess that is XIII's storytelling will not make anyone happy.

The story of XIII worked. Many fans were unhappy with it because it was poorly handled, not because it was short. XIII-2 was not needed whatsoever had XIII been handled properly.

The point I'm trying to make is that the linearity can't be fixed since it wasn't broken to begin with... it was intentional. To change the linearity would completely alter the structure of the game, the flow of the story, and everything else. Chances are that they would break things that weren't broken before.

Well to me it was poorly handled because they glossed over so many plot elements, straight up dropped several other plot elements, and then rushed the last 40% of the story since they ran out of time (meaning we learn next to nothing about Gran Pulse, the Mythology, or anything else). To me, XIII needed an extra game (or maybe even two) to fully flesh out the plot. Now, that's not to say that that was the only problem I had with the story telling (believe me... I had many), but bum rushing the most important plot lines was a massive no-no for me.

As to XIII-2: That was never needed under any circumstances . The story was so far out in left field and introduced so many nonsensical things that it isn't even funny.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
The DmC Demo didn't hurt my butt, it just gave it a rash. The cure? Play Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4.
#14dils-d(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 9:20:10 AM
mahroflcopter posted...
The point I'm trying to make is that the linearity can't be fixed since it wasn't broken to begin with... it was intentional. To change the linearity would completely alter the structure of the game, the flow of the story, and everything else. Chances are that they would break things that weren't broken before.

Intentional or not, it was not well received.

I get your point, I do. But the structure of the game wasn't exactly praised, it wouldn't hurt to improve it.

Well to me it was poorly handled because they glossed over so many plot elements, straight up dropped several other plot elements, and then rushed the last 40% of the story since they ran out of time (meaning we learn next to nothing about Gran Pulse, the Mythology, or anything else). To me, XIII needed an extra game (or maybe even two) to fully flesh out the plot. Now, that's not to say that that was the only problem I had with the story telling (believe me... I had many), but bum rushing the most important plot lines was a massive no-no for me.

The game could have expanded so many things, but XIII-2 didn't really do that. If you want another game to do that, you would have to make XIII-1.5.

I just wished they hadn't skipped all the opportunities that could have been made as the game progressed.
---
Because rainbows.
#15CokaineCowboy77Posted 12/2/2012 9:22:02 AM
No; XIII is terrible, no amount of tweaking will make it good.
---
FFVII=FFVI>FFX>FFIX>FFIV>FFVIII
XIII= S***
#16CokaineCowboy77Posted 12/2/2012 9:25:39 AM
VanilleHopen posted...
i dont know why everyone says the crystarium offers no choice.... It allows you to decide what role you want to advance and when...

Linear leveling is ff iv.. where you just level up and dont have any choice in how you're characters progress at all.. please learn the difference before you make stupid posts..

and ffxiii was fine the way it is.. amazing game

thanks,
bye.

Okay, XIII AND IV both have bad leveling systems. Lol

Also, XIII has MAJOR problems, some including Vannile and Hope.
Why do you have that as you're username? Are you a girl or something? Or just extremely feminem...
---
FFVII=FFVI>FFX>FFIX>FFIV>FFVIII
XIII= S***
#17ZvonarevaPosted 12/2/2012 9:38:03 AM
They should start with V and work their way up.
---
Learn about surviving here: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/blogs/bernkastel/uncategorized/
UPD: 12-01-12 [Current topic: Kupo1705]
#18Plant42Posted 12/2/2012 11:51:10 AM
If they added some more variety to the game like exploration, mini-games and towns it would have been one of my favorite FF games. I don't think it is bad just too rushed.
#19Plant42Posted 12/2/2012 11:53:34 AM
It was also really lacking storyline NPCs.