"Why Lightning Returns isn't called Final Fantasy XIII-3"

#1ShuyinOnTheWayPosted 12/5/2012 12:04:15 AM(edited)
According to a translation by Final Fantasy Network, the team believes the entry is unique enough to warrant a different name, “as calling it XIII-3 might give the impression that it would be a direct evolution of Final Fantasy XIII-2.” Kitase referred to the game as “a new experience.”

Toriyama noted that Lightning Returns will be “world-driven,” as opposed to the “story-driven” Final Fantasy XIII and “player-driven” XIII-2. The idea of a “world-driven” game is “to put the player in a world that is constantly shifting and changing — one that doesn’t necessarily revolve around the player.” The world will reportedly run in real time 24 hours a day, giving the player “a sense of time and urgency to experience content that will not always be waiting for them.”

Players will manage the game via Lightning, who will slow down or speed up the world based on her actions. According to Abe, the day and night cycle of the game has not been completed but will be “roughly one to two hours.” Toriyama noted that experiencing everything in Lightning Returns will likely require multiple playthroughs, as with Abe saying that he wants players to think “oh! I didn’t know that event occurred” while on their second time through.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/04/why-lightning-returns-isnt-called-final-fantasy-xiii-3

Yay news.
---
Official Flying Airship of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board
My Level 1 Walkthrough: www.youtube.com/user/ShuYinOnTheWay <--- PSN
#2YoshioKSTPosted 12/5/2012 12:16:12 AM
Tch, I kind of wanted it to be called XIII-3 and present more refinement of the same battle system. But hey, they haven't let me down yet, so I'm curious as to how unique this game will turn out. Thanks for the link.
---
' Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.' - Sun Tzu
#3VanilleHopenPosted 12/5/2012 12:21:08 AM
not liking the sound of this game.. I dont like being rushed while playing a game ever....
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#4marcBookPosted 12/5/2012 12:21:59 AM
So, they want to distance themselves as far as possible from XIII-2. Smart choice.
---
"The whole building's coming down!"
"This isn't good!!!" YOU THINK!?
#5badboyPosted 12/5/2012 1:00:06 AM
I hope they make XIII-0.
#6kupo1705Posted 12/5/2012 1:00:43 AM
Didn't they already say this?
#7ShuyinOnTheWay(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 1:11:35 AM
kupo1705 posted...

Yes and no; They added some information and went a bit "deeper" - Unfortunately, that's pretty much it.
---
Official Flying Airship of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board
My Level 1 Walkthrough: www.youtube.com/user/ShuYinOnTheWay <--- PSN
#8Wakizashi_513Posted 12/5/2012 1:17:43 AM
IGN is a little late.
#9Lindaru111Posted 12/5/2012 1:43:12 AM
ShuyinOnTheWay posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Yes and no; They added some information and went a bit "deeper" - Unfortunately, that's pretty much it.

So..nothing new has happened?

oh and hi ShuyinOnTheWay :3
---
You don't need a reason to help people. - Zidane FFIX
#10XclaimPosted 12/5/2012 3:19:56 AM
I just figured LR isn't called XIII-3 for the same reason Dirge of Cerberus wasn't called VII-2; it's not a full FF sequel if it's just focused on one playable character.
---
"I wouldn't know right from wrong if one of them was helping the poor and the other was banging my sister." - Max Payne