Is this going to be another case of "this is the last chance I give Square"?

#31j-fielding95Posted 12/24/2012 6:40:03 AM
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
Bromato posted...
Square Enix lost me a couple days after I bought FFXIII brand spankin' new. After the initial hype and amazement at the graphics and junk wore off me, I began to realize that I hated the story, felt nothing for the characters, the battle system sucked, and everything I did in the game felt like a chore. I probably made it through half the game before I just got so bored and uninterested that I quit playing it. I've tried on 3 separate occasions to finish the game and try to see what makes people revere it as godlike but I just ain't having any luck. Every time I try to play through, I get less farther than I was the previous attempt and get bored and shut it off. I regret spending that 60 bucks that day.

Never played XIII-2 and i'm definitely not gonna play XIII-3

With all that being said, SE starting going downhill once they created FFXI

Yet here you are. Quite sad really.

I'd say liking the XIII games is more sad.

I wouldn't, i'd say hating this game all day because someone has no life is sad.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibvmrm7irgmmJM.gif
#32BromatoPosted 12/24/2012 6:41:04 AM
j-fielding95 posted...
Bromato posted...
Square Enix lost me a couple days after I bought FFXIII brand spankin' new. After the initial hype and amazement at the graphics and junk wore off me, I began to realize that I hated the story, felt nothing for the characters, the battle system sucked, and everything I did in the game felt like a chore. I probably made it through half the game before I just got so bored and uninterested that I quit playing it. I've tried on 3 separate occasions to finish the game and try to see what makes people revere it as godlike but I just ain't having any luck. Every time I try to play through, I get less farther than I was the previous attempt and get bored and shut it off. I regret spending that 60 bucks that day.

Pretty sure I was answering a question I seen on the front page under a little section entitled "popular board topics." I mean, these ARE message boards after all? Just hush and go play that pile of crap if you're gonna defend it lol.
#33kupo1705Posted 12/24/2012 6:41:49 AM
j-fielding95 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
Bromato posted...

I wouldn't, i'd say hating this game all day because someone has no life is sad.

All day? This is the first time I've seen him post.
#34Magical_MooglesPosted 12/24/2012 6:42:36 AM
This is my relationship with Square Enix:

- Played FFXIII and didn't enjoy it. Probably my least favourite Final Fantasy title
- Didn't bother to buy FFXIII-2 but checked out many gameplay videos to see if I might like it (sorry to say that it looked crap and put me off completed).
- Probably won't buy Lightning Returns. I'll look into it the same way as FFXIII-2.
- I've only seen gameplay videos of Final Fantasy XIV, but it was shocking how bad it was. I've never seen such an unintuitive and poorly executed game from SE. They could redeem themselves by this new revision but I'm not holding my breath.
- Skeptical of Final Fantasy versus - we haven't seen enough footage to know whether it will be good or not.. I'll judge it whenever I play it...if we ever get the chance to play it.
- For almost the same reasons as FFXIII, I didn't really enjoy FFX - controversial I know. I guess it was passable. FFX-2 was a money-spin, felt awfully rushed and was just all-round embarrassing.
- Didn't play Dirge of Cerberus but I remember it received many mixed/negative reviews. Played Crisis Core and it was a really bad game full of repetitive missions. It was basically a game that had a lightweight main-game followed by (optional) missions which used the same maps over and over again. I don't understand why this game got such high praise. Again, another money-spin.
- Only played/completed the first Kingdom Hearts game. It was OK but not really my thing. Didn't entice me enough to make me play the second.

+Really began to appreciate Final Fantasy XII after I replayed it. Shame that Yasumi Matsuno has left and has stated he won't be involved in the Ivalice series anymore. Speaking of Matsuno: the remake of Tactic Ogre was probably the last SE game I really loved.
+/- A bunch of (mostly) unnecessary remakes which have either been good (or sometimes poorly executed)

The World Ends with You looks fun and original so I'll probably give that game a chance. In seriousness it hasn't been a good run for SE for the past 10 years or so. (At least with the "sqauresoft" side of the company) My point is that I've found that I'm not buying FF games blindly anymore. It used to be that I would buy the next FF game on release date, prior to reading any critic reviews. I'm far more pessimistic these days and won't buy another FF game unless I have some idea that I might enjoy it.
#35hambaconeggPosted 12/24/2012 6:42:58 AM
Jackalfox posted...
Biggest_Boss posted...
Square Enix obviously have lost their way; they can[t make good games anymore, let alone being a shining example in JRPG's.

They screwed up with XIII, tried to repair it with XIII-2 but it's mediocre at best.

Versus XIII is most probably vaporware.

FFXIV was a disaster.

And now, a sequel no one wanted from a game that basically destroyed the fanbase.

Do you still have faith in SE to deliver a good game anymore?

Speak for yourself. I wanted this game, and I loved both XIII and XIII-2.

With this game being an Assassin's Creed wannabee, I am not surprised.
#36j-fielding95Posted 12/24/2012 6:43:30 AM
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
Bromato posted...

All day? This is the first time I've seen him post.

I never said I was referring to him.
---
#37j-fielding95Posted 12/24/2012 6:44:40 AM
Bromato posted...
j-fielding95 posted...
Bromato posted...

Pretty sure I was answering a question I seen on the front page under a little section entitled "popular board topics." I mean, these ARE message boards after all? Just hush and go play that pile of crap if you're gonna defend it lol.

I don't play piles of crap.
---
#38kupo1705Posted 12/24/2012 6:46:40 AM
j-fielding95 posted...

#39j-fielding95Posted 12/24/2012 6:48:54 AM
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...

Yes, that was my previous comment, if you'd notice that's a separate comment to the one saying having no life is sad. They aren't linked. They are to two separate individuals in two separate messages.
---
#40kupo1705Posted 12/24/2012 6:50:22 AM
j-fielding95 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
j-fielding95 posted...

Yes, that was my previous comment, if you'd notice that's a separate comment to the one saying having no life is sad. They aren't linked. They are to two separate individuals in two separate messages.

You said he was sad for being here.