Is this going to be another case of "this is the last chance I give Square"?

#91Devilman_AmonPosted 12/24/2012 11:00:32 AM
JolosGhost posted...
^ Normally, I'd agree with you. I played WoW and after 8 months, I wondered, "why....what the hell was that for?"

But honestly, I wouldn't mind playing FFXIV for a little while to see what the rebuild is all about.

Doesn't matter

Just one look at a battle video and I'm instantly bored to death

MMO's boredom rinse & repeat
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#92Devilman_AmonPosted 12/24/2012 11:03:21 AM
Magical_Moogles posted...

They are making "Lightning Returns" because they didn't tie loose ends with the second so they need to make a third game to tell a complete story. As a business point of view it makes sense. These games no longer take very long to develop. It's relatively cheap to develop and despite the backlash of opinions there is good profit to be made.

They could have tied up the loose ends with making a competent XIII-2 game to begin with.

Hell, they could have also made a DLC ending. Would have pissed a lot of people off but whatever. Par for the course.

They made this game in the desperation to pull in more $ to make up for the loss of revenue that FF XIV has taken since the XIII series can recycle stuff from the original XIII and reuse Crystal Tools engine to cut costs. Plain & simple
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#93Magical_MooglesPosted 12/24/2012 11:48:50 AM(edited)
justdontask posted...
Magical_Moogles posted...
Final Fantasy XIII doesn't suck because it's *different*. In actual fact I wouldn't say it's a bad game -- just a very average (or below average) RPG which is below typical standards of the FF series. For me there are notable gameplay flaws such as the linearity, the repetitiveness of the battles, the uninteresting story and annoying characters. It doesn't offer a complete Final Fantasy experience, and the production team quite clearly cut corners so they could offer pristine graphics. Final Fantasy XIII was a commercial success but probably among the first of the main-series to not be critically successful. Final Fantasy XIII-2 didn't fare much better either. The company know that the original game was lackluster which is why they developed FFXIII-2 to try and fix the problems that were apparent in the original. Again, it has NOTHING to do with being different. Fans of the series are criticising this compilation because they are average at best. Fans who don't like FFXII for being different or for other personal reasons do acknowledge that critically there is a good game there --It's just not their cup o' tea. FFXII divided fans, but it didn't receive quite as big a backlash as FFXIII or FFXIII-2.

They are making "Lightning Returns" because they didn't tie loose ends with the second so they need to make a third game to tell a complete story. As a business point of view it makes sense. These games no longer take very long to develop. It's relatively cheap to develop and despite the backlash of opinions there is good profit to be made.

id like to thank you, for stating your opinion and making it obvious as an opinion (for me blahblahblah....) however, your thought on battles interests me... theyre repetitive? and the other games battles arent? in the others, you can use physical attacks to win every fight, maybe a few healing spells... in this, some say you can use auto battle (and its incredibly stupid AI, which some noticed, others didnt) to win every time, few paradigm shifts.... isnt that the same thing? why is it a problem in this but not the others?

and you must see my point, there are many people on this board who dont treat their opinions as opinions...

Actually I think you're right about the battles. It's not any worse off than other FF games. I think all the FF games could be a bit more strategic and challenging. The strategy of a battle relies entirely on the timing of when to paradigm shift, and it's not enough. The problem isn't entirely based on the fact that auto-battle is a solution to every battle either (with a few exceptions). I think the reason why it felt more repetitive is because you are running down these narrow corridors with nothing to do but fight monsters. There are no secrets or places to explore, there's no towns or branching stories/sidequests. The fact that the game revolves entirely on "fight and run", is what I feel the only reason why the battles felt more repetitive.
#94Sir_Tom_JonesPosted 12/24/2012 11:39:05 AM
Ill give her a Sonny With a Chance.
---
- 'You load 16 tons of GameFaqs users and whaddaya get?' -
#95ilexukiPosted 12/24/2012 11:59:51 AM
i really wish people would stop hating on ffxi just because it was a mmo. especially when large majority of ffxi haters never even played the game, they just gonna hate cause it's different. when i first found out about it being a mmo, my first reaction was to hate too, but i decided to give it a try, and i'm glad i did.

despite the issues with the game nowadays, anyone who actually plays the game, and even those who quit knows that when it comes to lore and story FFXI works hard to live up to the Final fantasy legacy, and is more deserving of the final fantasy title than any of the games that came after it.....haters wouldn't know that tho, because they are too busy blinded by irrational hatred.

as for the topic, honestly i really disliked ff13, the story was all over the place and poorly written and handled. the characters were only a slight improvement over the bland ones in 12, but due to the pacing of the game being a lot faster than other FFs they are only partially fleshed out, and it makes it hard to care about them and their struggle. the battle system was ok it's just the party AI is really stupid(won't heal, or healing people already near full hp) and the whole battle is lost if the character you control dies( what's the point in giving you a tank role, if the AI is going to walk your characters over and stand them next to the tank so they can eat AoE?). it just wasn't what i came to expect from final fantasy. final fantasy was a bad final fantasy, but the gameplay made up for the bland story and characters, and made it a good game on it's own. 13 is just a mediocre game on it's own.

i still havn't beaten 13-2 but i don't like it because it messes up 13's already subpar story and replaces it with "wtf?". the gameplay is better, but the writing takes the 13 series to a new low. it's like toilken writing another lotr book, and in it aliens go back in time and steal the one ring so frodo and gang have to go to the future to get it back, and it rewrites the events of return of the king to frodo and aragon's time travelling adventures.

all that said, i'm a sucker for final fantasy, lightning returns is probably going to be more garbage, but i have to try it to find out for myself, even if it only serves to push me further away from the series.
---
The weak die out and the strong survive....which are you?
#96ExtremeLightPosted 12/24/2012 12:10:39 PM
Biggest_Boss posted...
Square Enix obviously have lost their way; they can[t make good games anymore, let alone being a shining example in JRPG's.

They screwed up with XIII, tried to repair it with XIII-2 but it's mediocre at best.

Versus XIII is most probably vaporware.

FFXIV was a disaster.

And now, a sequel no one wanted from a game that basically destroyed the fanbase.

Do you still have faith in SE to deliver a good game anymore?

-13, 13-2, Hitman, Sleeping dogs are good games...

-Versus is coming. Stop doubting.

-14 was a disaster. Doesn't mean that they lost their way. Be glad they actually try to fix the problem rather than letting it die out.

-At least 2M people would want this sequel (just guessing). Also this game didn't destroy the fanbase. Ever since X-2 this fanbase had imploded.

-Versus, Type-0, and 15 will be redemption. Just watch.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, BO2 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. 2013. Lightning Return will be super awesome.
#97Devilman_AmonPosted 12/24/2012 12:11:31 PM
ilexuki posted...
when it comes to lore and story FFXI works hard to live up to the Final fantasy legacy, and is more deserving of the final fantasy title than any of the games that came after it.

That's hardly saying much
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#98ragnarokiusPosted 12/24/2012 12:43:14 PM
No, that was XIII-2.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m