why does SE continue to waste time with Lightning/the FF 13 world?

#71LenneValkiryePosted 12/26/2012 1:43:11 PM
FFXIII is by far the most popular FF of the last decade, so making sequels of it is anything but a waste of time.
I for one can't wait to play LR and I'm sad to hear that it's going to be the last one.
#72Arn544Posted 12/26/2012 1:45:24 PM
LenneValkirye posted...
FFXIII is by far the most popular FF of the last decade, so making sequels of it is anything but a waste of time.
I for one can't wait to play LR and I'm sad to hear that it's going to be the last one.

Didn't see the sarcasm at first, bravo good sir
#73tinyjotunPosted 12/26/2012 1:51:58 PM
Because more FF13 games means more pink haired hentai. Duh!
#74Shin_GallonPosted 12/26/2012 2:43:09 PM
Because they spent so much money developing the FF13 engine that they need to keep releasing games with it jsut to have iot break even/turn a profit, and they can reuse elements already done for 13-1 and 2, so...yeah. Basically it's SE spending money incorrectly making games no one really wants instead of, oh I don't know, Kingdom Hearts III or something people might actually like.
#75AlareiPosted 12/26/2012 2:49:09 PM
LenneValkirye posted...

How many FF games have been released in the last decade though?

More popular than XII, Revenant Wings, some crap VII spin-offs, portable games only released in Japan and FFXIV? I love FFXIII but that isn't particularly impressive, and IMO there should never have been a saga made out of it.
#76thisranksPosted 12/26/2012 2:49:26 PM
Elice_Carol posted...
I thought that the massive internet backlash and not-so-perfect reviews from critics made it clear?

RIP Mega Man, 1987 - 2009

Agreed. In the case of FFXIII and "internet backlash" it pretty much is the whiners who didn't get the FF they assume they should be getting thanks to how "they" saw how previous FF games and/or their pre-conceived ideals as to how games from certain regions should be made.

The real question should be "who the hell do these people think they are demanding games be made the way they expect them to be made?" Doesn't that defeat the purpose of making games in the first place? Yet all we see is the whining. They aren't out there showing SE how it should be done.

These people complaining are the Veruca Salts of the gaming world. Shame there's no video game version of the eggdicator because there is some really bad eggs here.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#77jastenPosted 12/26/2012 3:03:53 PM
At least there have been improvements.... there's that. But ever since Square merged with Enix, the product has mostly been utter crap on the mainline titles and they keep releasing stuff very few people want. It's been a downward slide with FFXII and the XIII saga sadly and it doesn't look like they'll pull themselves out of their tailspin any time soon.
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
#78Devil_wings00Posted 12/26/2012 3:07:34 PM
I'm going to take a wild guess here, stay with me, FFXIII has made them a lot of money? I know it's crazy that a corporation would want to make MONEY and they would do that by milking something that has sold a lot of copies. It's not the 80/90's anymore, games cost A LOT of money these days. It's in a companies best interest to milk something that has made them a lot of money in the past because it is better bet they will receive a satisfactory return on their investment. New IP's don't sell as well as an already established brand (obvious exceptions of course but I'm generalizing). Since FF the name can't sell big copies alone anymore, they are going to continue on with milking the last successful entry into the franchise. Blame bloated gaming budgets and gamers not embracing new IP. SE is just trying to make money because that's what businesses do.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#79Elice_CarolPosted 12/26/2012 3:08:52 PM
I really do think that SE would lose its soul if they did nothing but catered to the fans' whims instead of moving forward with the times. However, I must agree that they need to do SOMETHING about Versus and Type-0, those two look really promising.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/
#80SandOnMyBootPosted 12/26/2012 3:49:36 PM
Milking an old IP that a large percentage of the fanbase despise is anything but moving forward. Stagnation is what has made SE (and the VG community as a whole) already lose its soul.

BTW, I believe that Squaresoft actually wanted to make a direct sequel to FFIX soon after it came out, as well as a PS2 remake as early as 2001. But that unfortunately never happened.