Where did you all start with the series, and how do you feel about it now?

#41shinigami_mattPosted 12/27/2012 9:22:36 AM
Started with VII.

Think the series is way better since that whole X-2 to XII era of FF series.

LR could be Dirge of Cerberus level and it would still be better than those 6+ years of garbage.
---
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger
#42DragoonGriffithPosted 12/27/2012 9:26:04 AM
I also started with FFVII. My favorite is FFVI, though.

As for how I feel about the series now, I think the series like any other JRPG out there.
It doesn't convey the same feeling it used to, really. Then again, FFVIII was the same way for me, and the series recovered with FFIX in my eyes, so we'll see.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8hz5W.gif
#43shinigami_mattPosted 12/27/2012 9:29:40 AM
I honestly think it's just a bump. I mean, unless Toriyoma makes the next 30 FF's, the series isn't dead yet.

It might not be the golden age ever again, but it'll probably get much better. Not that I thought the first XIII game was even bad.
---
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger
#44Dagger1087Posted 12/27/2012 9:30:47 AM
I started with VII in about 1998-1999. It was a GH and VIII was already out. I also went back and over time and played all the first 6. Personally, I feel like the series hasn't been the same since X. And that was when Enix and Squaresoft became one. X was the last of Squaresoft's FFs. That was the last one that FELT like a FF. God, what a f***ing good game. I liked XIII and XIII-2 as a games, but they didn't feel like FFs. And I hated XII. Don't get me started on that one.
---
PSN: XIII_Lightning
#45MysteryVeilPosted 12/27/2012 9:31:24 AM
shinigami_matt posted...
I honestly think it's just a bump. I mean, unless Toriyoma makes the next 30 FF's, the series isn't dead yet.

It might not be the golden age ever again, but it'll probably get much better. Not that I thought the first XIII game was even bad.

I agree. I don't believe at all that the series is dead. These last two XIII games from Square I just consider to be a minor inconvenience.

I might sound negative in my posts a lot of the time, but I still think Square has a lot of potential and I hope in the future they will use it to their advantage. :)
---
One year anniversary! MysteryVeil and eixeeee. October 27, 2012.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/790525/Broken-Angel01
#46NitharadPosted 12/27/2012 9:41:39 AM
Well ... my first FF was 8 but I was a little child back then and didn't really understand the story, characters, mechanics of the battle system etc.
I pretty much only cheated to have all the cool summons and spells.
So while it was my first FF I didn't really recognize it as a FF. You know what I mean ?
Like watching Dragonball or Sailor Moon as a kid and never realizing this is an anime, because you don't even know what that is.

So the first "real" FF experience for me was Final Fantasy 9, it was a good game. After that I've played FF 4 in english (my first english game I managed to understand) and from then on out I really loved the series. (I think I've played 6 before 4, but I didn't understand anything since it was in english as well).

And well ... it's a fallen star, it needs a mercy kill BADLY.

Really it's a joke, after 10 it really went downhill, I can't take it seriously anymore.
I know 8 was already bad, and 7 is one of the most overrated games in history, but even so they had some kind of quality to them.
You could tell they at least tried, they put their spirit into it, there was effort, they tried to innovate.
#47F150IIPosted 12/27/2012 9:43:54 AM
I played VII first, but never finished it. Got bored with the story, and I mostly don't like turn based combat. I then got III on DS, which I finished, but not before realizing I hate games that force you to grind. I then got XIII about half a year ago, and its perfect for me. I get that this isn't perfect for long time FF fans, but for someone who wasn't a fan in the series, this was a good step to get me in.

I initially had no intention of playing XIII-2, but I downloaded it's demo with a bunch of others. I played all the other demos first, all of which did not impress me at all. when I finally got to XIII-2 I was actually really impressed with the new mechanics, introduction of QTEs, and just the length of the demo. the next day I went out and purchased it, and really enjoyed it. Now I look forward to LR.

However, I'm not certain I will be continuing with the FF franchise. while I have enjoyed my time with what I did play, it still isn't a big enough reason for me to continue into the new story. I'm wondering if perhaps the idea of completely renewing your story and characters with each numbered installment is now an outdated idea. we've gotten far enough that people can get attached to video game characters as well as movie characters. Perhaps the idea of changing that all the time should be re-thought.
---
@TechnicalColor - posting everyday
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDoublePlayGuys/featured - creators of the double play
#48pushoPosted 12/27/2012 9:46:24 AM
I started playing when i was a kid with SNES's FF II (IV in Japan) and I absolutely despise what FF has become with this abomination of FF XIII and still have nightmares on why they decided to make 2 more games of it.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Still its hard for me to understand how can any long time FF fan like this trilogy
---
SoulSilver FC: 3395-5870-7789
Black FC: 0733-4647-7864
#49HelbanPosted 12/27/2012 10:26:51 AM
My first was IV on the SNES. I've more or less enjoyed the series, even XI despite it being an MMO and XII being a bit to political filled for my taste.

Sadly, XIII is where the FF magic started to fade for me. I do love the games graphics (definitely the series best thus far), but the story and characters were dull and the combat and growth systems to limited in my opinion. The sheer lack of exploitation save for Grand Pulse (to late in game for it) didn't help. I'm holding judgement on FFXIV till its 2.0 version is released.
#50DemonPathRevyaPosted 12/27/2012 10:38:29 AM
I started with the origional Final Fantasy on NES. I loved that game to death back then. I could almost hear the memories echo in my thoughts.

Today my favorite Final Fantasy is still Tactics (and I played it on release day.) I've had my ups and downs on the series. Downs caused by FFX. Ups caused by FFI-IX. When XI was introduced I knew it wouldn't be looked on kindly by fans, regardless, I liked it a hell of a lot more than X. When X-2 I was sure the series had died. I liked XII but didn't liked XIII.
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
[Yoshida designs > Nomura designs]