Where did you all start with the series, and how do you feel about it now?

#51CorneliusNeposPosted 12/27/2012 9:39:17 AM
I started with the original on the NES and have played all of them up to VIII. I hated that one so much I skipped IX. I tried X and X-2 and that was it.
At least I can always go and play I-VI on my DS.
#52justdontaskPosted 12/27/2012 9:42:23 AM
my first FF was 7, but i was a child back then and never did much... struggled to beat the final boss fights, but i did beat em after a few hours... never got past ifrit in 8, beat everything in 9 and 10, but i dont like those two much... 12, 13, and 13-2 however i have already gotten 100% 2 or 3 times each...
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.
#53MizunoRyuuPosted 12/27/2012 9:53:07 AM
The first game I ever played was VII, owned by my older brother. I loved it but never really played it alone. The first one I saw through to the end was VI, which is probably still my favourite title.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#54Kenichi34Posted 12/27/2012 10:00:41 AM
I started with Final Fantasy VII. Then with Final Fantasy IX, that's the game that got me hooked on the series.

As for how I feel about it now...Well, indifferent, actually. I like the series, but I suppose not that much to be as upset as some fans tend to be. I still like the series and still believe it's a high-quality series despite a few bumps here and there. With the exception of a few spin-off titles I have very little to complain about Final Fantasy.
---
GT: Kenichi340
"What was the point of that pregnant pause!?" - Edgeworth
#55Rude HeroPosted 12/27/2012 10:05:57 AM
I started with VII as it was the first mainstream game of the series in the UK. During my SNES days I never came across a final fantasy game once.
VI may have been released but with a limited run probably, but even then I was totally into RPGS, Secret of Mana being my hook for many many years.

So yeah when VII paved the way for future titles with its critical acclaim I followed them ever since.
I personally love each and every one of them for their own unique quirks and nuances. At the times I would have undoubtedly had a clear cut favourite, but not now, they all have their highs and lows but I really don't dislike any of them. I've given hours of my life to each one and at some points they've all reciprocated a thought provoking narrative.
---
Mitsurugi vs.....TANEGASHIMA!
#56tiornysPosted 12/27/2012 10:07:27 AM
I started with the original Final Fantasy on the NES, and I'm pretty happy with where the series is now.

t~
#57CranberryTacoPosted 12/27/2012 10:14:24 AM
As an little kid, FF 1 on the Nintendo, later FF IX and then VII etc etc.

I have no complains besides the lack of exploration and the traversable world map + airships. Less linearity would be very fine by me.
---
Slick Musician /DJ/ FF Versus Munchkin [>R&B> NU Jack Swing >House>UK Garage >UK Grime> Dubstep is where it went wrong.
#58Dalton Of ZealPosted 12/27/2012 10:18:33 AM
The first one I played was 4. Then, in this order: 1, 6, 8, 5, 7, 9, 2, 3, 10, 12, 13.

I still enjoy the series in terms of presentation, but the gameplay has taken a serious blow. That being said, FF13 isn't nearly as bad as people I talked to made it sound.
#59Ampharos64Posted 12/27/2012 10:19:00 AM
Hmm, it would have been with spin-offs, Tactics Advance, and then Crystal Chronicles (GC). First numbered instalment was definitely FFI and II: Dawn of Souls on the GBA. Since my first console was the N64, and I stuck with Nintendo consoles until getting fed up with the Wii and getting a PS3 as well, I didn't really have the opportunity to play many FFs before then. Now I'm getting a PSP, I'm looking forward to trying more, I'll probably finally get around to playing the PS entries on it.

I feel pretty positive about the series today. JRPGs are my favourite genre and I almost exclusively play them now, and a game having 'Final Fantasy' in the title seems to be a pretty good indication that I'll at the very least enjoy it even if I don't think it's a masterpiece. I'm not however attached to the series in the same way I am to Tales of (which I love and have to date bought two consoles just so I can play the games) - and I think in some ways that actually helps. People who are long-time fans of a series, for who it's maybe their favourite or one of their favourites, pretty inevitably develop certain expectations from it, things they want to see from a game in the series. In a series that changes a lot, that can result in a pretty divided fanbase, too, since people have their own preferences, some might want a game more like FFIX, some will want one more like FFVII, and so on. So while I liked FFXIII, and FFXIII-2, and am really looking forward to Lightning Returns, I can definitely understand and sympathise with fans who aren't happy with the direction the series has currently taken. Well, I'm playing Tales of Graces right now, and am unhappy with the lack of a world map and the new way skits trigger, which are still not nearly such big structural changes as FFXIII introduced to FF. Coming from the FF series I thought it was an interestingly different style of JRPG (I think it could actually establish a new sub-genre), but if Tales had tried something like that I'm pretty sure I'd have been very disappointed and wanted a more traditional entry.

Even though it was different, to me the atmosphere still says 'FF' though. So I think people who didn't like them can still have hope the series might return to how they prefer it. My main concern is just the difficulty of development and the costs and time involved, especially as we move to a new gen when it's feeling like they've struggled to keep up this gen. Well, it remains to be seen what will happen with Versus XIII.

F150II posted...
However, I'm not certain I will be continuing with the FF franchise. while I have enjoyed my time with what I did play, it still isn't a big enough reason for me to continue into the new story. I'm wondering if perhaps the idea of completely renewing your story and characters with each numbered installment is now an outdated idea. we've gotten far enough that people can get attached to video game characters as well as movie characters. Perhaps the idea of changing that all the time should be re-thought.

That's an interesting thought, I hadn't looked at it that way before. I do like the kind of trilogy structure (I say kind of because I'm not at all sure it was originally intended and FFXIII clearly didn't need a sequel) they've established with the current entries, I wouldn't mind seeing it done again. Still, I think a single game can feel quite satisfying in itself, and though players might like to see more of the characters they've grown attached to, their stories can feel complete and a sequel unneeded - especially bearing in mind that sequels don't always turn out well, and are perhaps only the more difficult to pull off the more the audience is attached to the characters (for myself, I actually never get very attached to movie characters, but do to characters in novels and games much more easily).
#60Negi0307Posted 12/27/2012 10:23:52 AM
I started with 8 and have played all the games minus XI and XVI. The series no SE has lost it's flair X was the last number FF i enjoyed. The only things i liked about 13-2 was the ending i felt that was a fresh feeling for an FF and what was done to Hope was a huge improvement from 13. Honestly my 2 fave gaming companies SE and Capcom has been giving me nothing but disappointing games recently
---
GT Paradox Enigma7 PSN Akabra0307 Currently playing Borderlands 2