Where did you all start with the series, and how do you feel about it now?

#81Hojo_InversePosted 12/27/2012 2:33:25 PM
IV
The series died to me with the abandon of TBS. FFX, while carrying a terrible story and characters and showing early signs of cancer (good bye world map!, hello linear progression!), is to me the last true Final Fantasy game.
#82Fou LuPosted 12/27/2012 2:54:46 PM
Started with FF1 on the NES, then FF2 (FF4) and FF3 (FF6) on the SNES. Played 7, 8 and 9, I gave up on the series when I saw FF10 and never played any after. And no, it wasn't FF9 that ruined it for me, it was FF7 and 8 with their sci-fi settings, which would continue on throughout the series (minus the MMOs which shouldn't even count).
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#83RayvedPosted 12/27/2012 2:56:38 PM
I started with FF1 on but I was too young and didn't know english at that time. First I really played (and not just walk around aimlessly) was VII and then VI became my favorite when I went back to the old ones.
#84oxnerdPosted 12/27/2012 3:07:20 PM
First FF game was 8.
that was a pretty lame experience 'cause I was so young, I think 2nd or 3rd grade, I didn't understand a thing and the game was hard to me. I played it with gameshark it was my brothers and I was able to one shot everything with Squall until the party split up... and the rest of my characters were so underpowered that I had to restart the game, I was at that one facility with the spider robot thing. And so the second time around I activated the "all characters level up once after each battle" from the gameshark, so my characters were balanced. I had a pretty perfect game because my sister helped my by reading me the game guide (those were the days) but in light of all that my nephew also had a save data and was playing when I wasn't playing. So one day when he was playing and had to go to the bathroom i played for him and me being the idiot I saved for him but instead saved over my own game instead of his, I was at the tonberry area trying to get tonberry king, I was so sad I cried and i never played the dam game again.

I am planning to play it again from the psn store, so I hope it goes well then.
#85Psyk60Posted 12/27/2012 3:10:41 PM
The first one...

... to come out in Europe. So VII. But I've since played the various ports and remakes of the previous ones.

I suppose FF isn't as much of a big deal to me as it used to be. But I probably will still play the main FF games that come out (except online ones) and at least some of the side games.
#86Blue_MemOxPosted 12/27/2012 3:18:02 PM
VII but I already played I, IV, VI etc.

Since X I think that the changes they are making (no world map, changing battle mechanics, less side quests) are killing the franchise little by little
---
Hello
#87TehRYNOLPosted 12/27/2012 3:18:50 PM
My first FF was technically FFIX.

I grew up watching my brother play the PS1 FF's though. Then I got around to playing FFIX myself. I did eventually play FFVII and FFVIII though.

As for my feelings of the series today? I feel like it's fine. People complain too much in my opinion. All the FF's I've played are damn good games. I love all of them. I'm glad SE is willing to take risks and switch things up with each game. Originality is a good thing in my opinion. Sure, not everything is executed perfectly, but it's still fine with me.
---
Official Gas Station of the Versus/Agito boards. | PSN: Gowow20
Not changing sig until Dr. Dre releases Detox! Started: October 13th 2009
#88kupo1705Posted 12/27/2012 3:21:24 PM
Blue_MemOx posted...
VII but I already played I, IV, VI etc.

Since X I think that the changes they are making (no world map, changing battle mechanics, less side quests) are killing the franchise little by little

Less sidequests?
FFXII has more than any of the previous games.
#89GoldPhalanxPosted 12/27/2012 3:25:38 PM
TehRYNOL posted...
My first FF was technically FFIX.

I grew up watching my brother play the PS1 FF's though. Then I got around to playing FFIX myself. I did eventually play FFVII and FFVIII though.

As for my feelings of the series today? I feel like it's fine. People complain too much in my opinion. All the FF's I've played are damn good games. I love all of them. I'm glad SE is willing to take risks and switch things up with each game. Originality is a good thing in my opinion. Sure, not everything is executed perfectly, but it's still fine with me.

Took the words right out of my mouth, and FFIX was my first FF. Some people just whine about everything and they can't be helped. I mean if you think you have great ideas on what SE can do to "revive" the series, make the game YOURSELF THEN! Sheesh.

I like the fact that the series is constantly changing, if it was like Dragon Quest where it's play one, you've played them all (heck even some DQ fans joke say that) then it wouldn't be as great as it is now IMO.

I'm not saying the newer FFs are perfect works of arts, there are definite faults as with any FF, but I think the faults are blown way out of proportion. Heck, recently, I replayed FFVII and it is NOT as good as I remembered it. The Cloud x Aeris scenes were horribly implemented, the game basically forced it on you with cheesy scenes a la Cait Sith, not to mention the game is really easy and the pacing at the beginning is terrible: "have you seen in a man in a black cape? He went that way? DUR OK!" for the first third of the game.
---
~Lady Tokimi~
#90BlueEye0Posted 12/27/2012 3:35:03 PM
Technically I got interested in the series when I saw FFIX but I couldn't play it. So I played the GBA version of FF1, basic but fun.

I think the series is doing pretty good aside from the constant whining from the "fanbase", SE is infamous for taking risks and constantly changing their games, maybe making three XIII games wasn't the smartest decision but if it's anything like the first two it will be alright. After that it's full steam ahead on Versus!