I actually liked Final Fantasy 13.

#31ExtremeLightPosted 1/2/2013 8:11:28 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
It's just one long hallway. Every fight you have is just there so you are at the level the game wants you to be when you run into the next boss. It just takes all the elements of a jrpg and breaks them down to there most basic components to the point where it's barely a game anymore. If you like a game that virtually is just a hallway with FMV's I guess that's fine but you could just go watch a movie while mashing X too ;p

All that said I don't really care if you enjoyed it. I'm glad someone did.

Go play X.

But seriously, how in the world is it one long hallway. I admits you have to follow a set path till you get to gran pulse but since when is linearity the biggest issue? X was way more linear than XIII but I don't see many people complaining about that.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#32KasadaPosted 1/2/2013 8:13:34 PM
It may have been linear, but I like to think of it as streamlined.

Great soundtrack, great combat (assuming, you know, you experienced one tough fight that you got through with pure strategy while being on the edge of your seat timing paradigm shifts. Otherwise, LOLPLAYSITSELF.), and decent story.

Pretty much every story in Final Fantasy is quite dull though, so A+.
---
Wa.
#33theofficefan99Posted 1/2/2013 8:16:13 PM(edited)
ExtremeLight posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
It's just one long hallway. Every fight you have is just there so you are at the level the game wants you to be when you run into the next boss. It just takes all the elements of a jrpg and breaks them down to there most basic components to the point where it's barely a game anymore. If you like a game that virtually is just a hallway with FMV's I guess that's fine but you could just go watch a movie while mashing X too ;p

Go play X.

But seriously, how in the world is it one long hallway. I admits you have to follow a set path till you get to gran pulse but since when is linearity the biggest issue? X was way more linear than XIII but I don't see many people complaining about that.

I agreed with you until you said X was more linear. It isn't. And it retains pretty much every FF tradition aside from a proper worldmap and airship exploration.

For one thing, it never restricts your party, the Sphere Grid is far less restrictive than the Crystarium, there are more options with equipment customization, you can customize the abilities of your Aeons, you can backtrack to a majority of previous locations in X (whereas in XIII, sometimes, you can't even go back to a previous part of a location/room), there are towns, many NPC's, and mini-games.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#34cayne_phoenixPosted 1/2/2013 8:16:42 PM
id like to say i loved FF13 very much.
everything about, music, sfx, graphics, characters, gameplay,etc.

and everyone is entitled to their opinion, as i am.

and i would like to leave ASAP before im accused of heresy, castrated then set on fire.
#35Dragon NexusPosted 1/2/2013 8:17:28 PM
I can't take anyone seriously who says they enjoy a game so much they never bothered to complete it.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#36The_Undying_84Posted 1/2/2013 8:19:31 PM
tiornys posted...
BIG_C_4_LIFE posted...
- Horrible writing
- Horrible story
- Gameplay is repetitive and basically plays itself
- Hallways. Hallways everywhere.
- Most of the characters are annoying as **** and unlikable.
- Lightning is a bland protagonist

+ Graphics/CGI is stunningly gorgeous
+ Sazh
+ Some of the music is good

That pretty much sums it up.

I'll grant you everything except the bolded point. Combat is only repetitive if you repeatedly adopt the same strategies, and it only plays itself if you choose to let Auto-battle do your thinking for you. Basically, don't blame the game for things you can choose to do differently. (I will grant that there's basically no gameplay other than combat, but that's a different complaint.)

Oh, and for the record I disagree on horrible story and annoying characters, but I can't fault you for having different tastes than I do.

t~

I would say it's a perfectly valid complaint because the game gives you no reason not to use auto-battle. It's AI is too good (shouldn't be determining and then hitting all the enemies status/elemental weaknesses for you) and the game is just too easy in general. There's no reason not to use it except to feel like you're doing something, besides very slightly speeding up battles (if you know what you're doing) there's no advantage to picking your own attacks.

Auto battle shouldn't be good enough that you can get away with always using it the entire game, if it has to exist at all then it should only be good enough to automate easy random encounters for convenience. You shouldn't be able to beat the entire game without even once selecting your own attack.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#37ExtremeLightPosted 1/2/2013 8:20:07 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...

Go play X.

I agreed with you until you said X was more linear. It isn't. And it retains pretty much every FF tradition aside from a proper worldmap and airship exploration.

For one thing, it never restricts your party, the Sphere Grid is far less restrictive than the Crystarium, there are more options with equipment customization, you can customize the abilities of your Aeons, you can backtrack to a majority of previous locations in X (whereas in XIII, sometimes, you can't even go back to a previous part of a location/room), there are towns, many NPC's, and mini-games.

But from Besaid to Zanarkand, it is completely linear though. Same with from whatever that first place was in XIII to Gran Pulse. But while X you have the option to go back to every place, The story of XIII doesn't make it sensible to go back to certain places other than Gran Pulse. I see your point But I consider X to be more linear than XIII. I disagree with both games being "hallways" though.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#38theofficefan99Posted 1/2/2013 8:22:33 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...

Go play X.

But from Besaid to Zanarkand, it is completely linear though. Same with from whatever that first place was in XIII to Gran Pulse. But while X you have the option to go back to every place, The story of XIII doesn't make it sensible to go back to certain places other than Gran Pulse. I see your point But I consider X to be more linear than XIII. I disagree with both games being "hallways" though.

There are still much more gameplay options, you can still backtrack to previous locations, and it retains things such as towns, NPC's and mini-games.

It's not unreasonable for people to be okay with X's linearity and then have a huge problem with XIII's linearity. In XIII, there is literally almost nothing you can do other than run and fight for the entire game.

Again, I am a fan of XIII, but it's easy to see why some people can't stand it.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#39MysteryVeilPosted 1/2/2013 8:31:09 PM
I liked XIII. It was quite enjoyable.
---
One year anniversary! MysteryVeil and eixeeee. October 27, 2012.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/790525/Broken-Angel01
#40kupo1705Posted 1/2/2013 8:34:56 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...

Go play X.

The same could be said for any of the game with some exceptions.
You may think you have freedom, but you don't.
There's always something like a cave that collapses, or a road that's blocked which keeps you from going back. It's also completely linear.
Where can you go after leaving Midgar? Nowhere but Kalm.
Where can you go after leaving Kalm? Nowhere but mines.
This goes on until you get an airship.
Yes, you can make little detours like Fort Condor, but you have those as well in FFX.
The only thing that's different is the world map giving you an illusion of freedom.
FFXIII on the other has has nothing but moving forward and fighting.
There are other gameplay elements. No towns to walk around in. No nothing.
Just moving forward and fighting.