I actually liked Final Fantasy 13.

#41rpglover13Posted 1/2/2013 9:35:23 PM
I thought Final Fantasy 13 had one of the best stories/development of the whole series, but I can see why people hated the gameplay. The majority of it was linear and the new battle system could potentially make it easy to just autopilot fight, making fighting boring. But it was amazing how deep they made the world of FF13 and it's religion and it's own vocabulary(l'cie, Fal'cie, Cie'th, etc.), which I know many of the FFs had, but most didn't have it in the same magnitude FF13 did. I do feel that this continuation has hurt my thoughts about this, making the first game feel less striking, but I can also see why Square would want to use this world more, because they put so much time and effort into it.
#42ExtremeLightPosted 1/2/2013 9:41:08 PM
kupo1705 posted...
FFXIII on the other has has nothing but moving forward and fighting.
There are other gameplay elements. No towns to walk around in. No nothing.
Just moving forward and fighting.

I think the story wouldn't make sense if you went back to an area, when there is this urgently to save the people. Nearly most people on cocoon recozinge the "enemies of the state" so it wouldn't make since that they could "waltz" into any towns getting a break. If they did then the story wouldn't make sense at all and would had done- as officefan describes it- an asspull on the story.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#43kupo1705Posted 1/2/2013 9:43:02 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...

I think the story wouldn't make sense if you went back to an area, when there is this urgently to save the people. Nearly most people on cocoon recozinge the "enemies of the state" so it wouldn't make since that they could "waltz" into any towns getting a break. If they did then the story wouldn't make sense at all and would had done- as officefan describes it- an asspull on the story.

You shouldn't let the story get in the way of the gameplay.
#44rpglover13Posted 1/2/2013 9:45:43 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Considering these were average citizens who had probably seen televised reports on the fugitives showing they had magic powers, I wouldn't want to mess with them if I saw them either.
#45ExtremeLightPosted 1/2/2013 9:48:48 PM
kupo1705 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...

^That is the reason so many people dislike 12, 13, and 13-2. The story got in the way of enjoying the gameplay...
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#46kupo1705Posted 1/2/2013 9:49:40 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...

^That is the reason so many people dislike 12, 13, and 13-2. The story got in the way of enjoying the gameplay...

That didn't happen in 12 or 13-2.
#47vanguard29Posted 1/2/2013 9:51:23 PM
tiornys posted...
Vexu192 posted...
but does anybody else like Final Fantasy XIII?

Yes, there are those of use who like FFXIII. Especially the combat. If SE had done a better job with presenting the combat system, I don't think the game would get half the hate it does (it would still get hate for lacking exploration elements, and for the story presentation being a mess, but at least most people would have figured out how interesting the combat is capable of being).

t~

i was very fond of the combat myself, and that is the one reason i consider buying the game every now and again (i rented it once) but then i remember how much i hate the characters, and the story......
---
"Even If the morrow is barren of promises / Nothing shall forestall my return"
#48ExtremeLightPosted 1/2/2013 9:59:14 PM
kupo1705 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...

That didn't happen in 12 or 13-2.

In 12 people thought the story was too political... In 13-2 people thought the story was too complicated and a mess.
---
#49kupo1705Posted 1/2/2013 10:01:29 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
In 12 people thought the story was too political... In 13-2 people thought the story was too complicated and a mess.

But it didn't get in the way of the gameplay.
#50tiornysPosted 1/2/2013 10:12:14 PM
The_Undying_84 posted...
I would say it's a perfectly valid complaint because the game gives you no reason not to use auto-battle. It's AI is too good (shouldn't be determining and then hitting all the enemies status/elemental weaknesses for you) and the game is just too easy in general. There's no reason not to use it except to feel like you're doing something, besides very slightly speeding up battles (if you know what you're doing) there's no advantage to picking your own attacks.

You are vastly underestimating the level of advantage that can be gained by using manual entry over Auto-battle. In addition to drastically speeding up battles, manual entry lets you take on and easily defeat enemies that would slaughter you or force you to use defensive strategies if you used Auto-battle, and it also enables strategies for lower development parties to defeat difficult opponents that would be literally impossible to pull off with Auto-battle.

Auto battle shouldn't be good enough that you can get away with always using it the entire game, if it has to exist at all then it should only be good enough to automate easy random encounters for convenience. You shouldn't be able to beat the entire game without even once selecting your own attack.

I don't know if I agree with this, although I see where you're coming from. I like that the game can be completed by people who don't care enough about the battle system to become competent with manual entry. On the other hand, I wish the game had used a tutorial or two to explicity point out some advantages of manual entry, and provided more optional enemies like the Ch. 6 Scalebeasts. Perhaps with a bit more awareness, we wouldn't have so many topics about how you "have" to grind in Chapter 11 if you want to complete the game (grinding is a poor substitute for better strategy and tactics).

t~