I actually liked Final Fantasy 13.

#51Cactuar512Posted 1/2/2013 9:18:10 PM
kupo1705 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Diablo56789 posted...
The complaints about the game (as one person said)

-horrible story
-horrible. blah blah blah

can be said about so many FF games, that's what I don't get, let's pretend none of the older games had that so it makes FFXIII seem worse? you're telling me no other FF game has the same faults?

I really like XIII and I can understand why there are people who hate it. You are choosing to ignore the valid criticisms towards XIII.

Ignoring valid criticism is what this board does best.

---
PSN:Fredfredburger51
#52NoelXYeulPosted 1/2/2013 9:40:43 PM(edited)
Don't worry, OP, people "hate" Final Fantasy XIII because it's the cool thing to do. I once bought Xenogears because everyone said it was the best game ever, the entire thing was a huge convoluted mess to me, had it been made by a single person I'd say they got bored half-way and rushed out. Probably assuming the majority of people would have gotten hooked on it by then, and keep going. Well, I wasn't hooked on it by then, and I played it all the way through expecting some sort of amazing "beautiful, poetic" plot device to unfold. To this day I think the entire world set it up just to punk me.

But anyway, in all seriousness, I also liked 13, I also liked 13-2 a lot too. What has me worried is this game though, with the trailer, I didn't get that excitement I get from other FF trailers. I actually got a feeling of dread from this one.
---
Top 5 Hottest Cutest/Final Fantasy Girls IMO: Yuel>>Garnet>>Vanille>>Rikku>>Penelo
Top 3 Final Fantasies: XIII-2>IX>Tactics
#53theofficefan99Posted 1/2/2013 9:51:42 PM
NoelXYeul posted...
Don't worry, OP, people "hate" Final Fantasy XIII because it's the cool thing to do. I once bought Xenogears because everyone said it was the best game ever, the entire thing was a huge convoluted mess to me, had it been made by a single person I'd say they got bored half-way and rushed out. Probably assuming the majority of people would have gotten hooked on it by then, and keep going. Well, I wasn't hooked on it by then, and I played it all the way through expecting some sort of amazing "beautiful, poetic" plot device to unfold. To this day I think the entire world set it up just to punk me.

But anyway, in all seriousness, I also liked 13, I also liked 13-2 a lot too. What has me worried is this game though, with the trailer, I didn't get that excitement I get from other FF trailers. I actually got a feeling of dread from this one.

There are plenty of valid criticisms towards XIII.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#54NoelXYeulPosted 1/2/2013 10:01:45 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
NoelXYeul posted...

Yeah, they just don't bother me. They used to bother me before, but after a while I just got used to it and learned the game (thanks to XIII-2) that I actually overcame them. I mean, my favorite movie is Old School, it may not be your favorite movie, it may not be the old man who has to watch 10 movies a week for a living's favorite, but I enjoy it. There are a lot worse RPGs out there that came out during the time XIII came out, the consensus on it is that it is just so horrible everyone has all agreed it's not a good game. The reason the XIII argument still exists is because there are people who actually like the game enough to defend it.
---
Top 5 Hottest Cutest/Final Fantasy Girls IMO: Yuel>>Garnet>>Vanille>>Rikku>>Penelo
Top 3 Final Fantasies: XIII-2>IX>Tactics
#55SandOnMyBootPosted 1/2/2013 10:07:07 PM
I wonder, if Final Fantasy XV takes places inside a single room with no options to leave said room until more than halfway through game (where you walk across the hall to enter another room), will the fans still try to defend it with the tired excuse of "the story can't allow exploration or towns, these are fugitives", or will they finally understand the problem with FFXIII?

Final Fantasy has had plenty of stories where you play as fugitives on the run, but you could still explore, and freaking interact with the world, and walk a map that wasn't a straight line! If the story makes the gameplay suffer, then why make that type of game? Imagine Mario, a jumping platformer game, except Bowser has increased the gravity so Mario can't jump anymore, yet the game is still presented as a regular Mario title. Or how about a real game where something like this happened: Sonic Labyrinth, a game where Sonic's red sneakers have been replaced with slow-down boots, preventing Sonic from running, which made the game slow, clunky, boring, and very unlike a normal Sonic game.

FFXV could very well be about a prisoner who stays imprisoned in cells for the whole game. The battles are just guards and other inmates who come to the cell and you automatically fight them and beat them by pressing the "Win" command. And the developer still presents this as an RPG. Would you still defend that game, even though the story's circumstances ruin the gameplay?
#56Pirate_DuckPosted 1/2/2013 10:19:04 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
kupo1705 posted...
FFXIII on the other has has nothing but moving forward and fighting.
There are other gameplay elements. No towns to walk around in. No nothing.
Just moving forward and fighting.

I think the story wouldn't make sense if you went back to an area, when there is this urgently to save the people. Nearly most people on cocoon recozinge the "enemies of the state" so it wouldn't make since that they could "waltz" into any towns getting a break. If they did then the story wouldn't make sense at all and would had done- as officefan describes it- an asspull on the story.

Which is funny, considering that that is exactly what they do (Golden Saucer...or whatever its called). And other games in the series have gotten around this problem; you become a fugitive in most of them.
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#57Pirate_DuckPosted 1/2/2013 10:22:43 PM
NoelXYeul posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
NoelXYeul posted...

Yeah, they just don't bother me. They used to bother me before, but after a while I just got used to it and learned the game (thanks to XIII-2) that I actually overcame them. I mean, my favorite movie is Old School, it may not be your favorite movie, it may not be the old man who has to watch 10 movies a week for a living's favorite, but I enjoy it. There are a lot worse RPGs out there that came out during the time XIII came out, the consensus on it is that it is just so horrible everyone has all agreed it's not a good game. The reason the XIII argument still exists is because there are people who actually like the game enough to defend it.

Jesus Christ...
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#58tiornysPosted 1/2/2013 10:24:43 PM
SandOnMyBoot posted...
I wonder, if Final Fantasy XV takes places inside a single room with no options to leave said room until more than halfway through game (where you walk across the hall to enter another room), will the fans still try to defend it with the tired excuse of "the story can't allow exploration or towns, these are fugitives", or will they finally understand the problem with FFXIII?

The degree to which this is a problem varies in proportion with the degree to which a player cares about exploration in RPGs. Because truly, not all RPG gamers care all that much about exploration; I, for example, care more about the story, characters, tactical gameplay, and ability to feel powerful, than I care about uncovering secrets, talking to townsfolk, and making my way around a vast, sprawling world.

I'm not saying I dislike those elements; I can derive enjoyment from exploration, especially uncovering secrets. But most of that enjoyment is not directly due to exploring. Instead, it ties into my desire to feel powerful; knowing secrets, after all, is one form of power.

So, presented with a game that downplays various game aspects that I don't care much about to enhance areas that I do care a lot about, how would you expect me to react? That's right: by enjoying the enhancement a lot more than I'm bothered by the limitations.

FFXV could very well be about a prisoner who stays imprisoned in cells for the whole game. The battles are just guards and other inmates who come to the cell and you automatically fight them and beat them by pressing the "Win" command. And the developer still presents this as an RPG. Would you still defend that game, even though the story's circumstances ruin the gameplay?

Probably not. That story sounds boring, and the gameplay sounds stilted and unexciting. But if somehow they managed to make the story compelling, and the gameplay as strategically complex and tactically rewarding as FFXIII? Then yeah, I might wind up defending it.

t~
#59VanilleHopenPosted 1/2/2013 10:26:09 PM
there can be plenty of valid criticisms for any game.. so um duh.. The difference is from what i seen on here people went into final fantasy xiii looking for them...

as they did with xii and x before it..
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#60oxnerdPosted 1/2/2013 10:50:39 PM
I loved 13, it eliminated all the annoyances and the loathing with the random battles, I actually looked forward to fighting in 13 because it was so fun. I'm playing FF6, storywise, FF6 is incomparable, but the gameplay are polar opposites (obviously) If the next FF game had an epic story like 6 and kept the gameplay of 13, it would be the perfect ff game.