Diminished success blamed on Western expectations

#1SirLezdainPosted 1/2/2013 5:55:24 PM
I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that the director for FFXIII is blaming the dropping success of final fantasy on western culture, that we demand things to be too open, something or other about how we like our plots or character personalities. Do you see this is a legitimate explanation that explores the differences between Eastern and Western cultures or do you think he's trying to pass off the blame for poor direction and story?
#2chocolatesodaPosted 1/2/2013 5:56:55 PM
I knew this was a troll topic before clicking on it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI
#3Pirate_DuckPosted 1/2/2013 5:58:08 PM
Yes, it is Westerner's fault that a lot of Japanese people hated FFXIII too. Damn them Westerners.
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#4kupo1705Posted 1/2/2013 5:58:49 PM
I blame it on FFXIII being a bad game.
#5SirLezdain(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 5:59:10 PM
chocolatesoda posted...

Not really. The first option implies that both direction and story are fine, we as westerners for the most part don't get it.
#6SirLezdain(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 6:00:27 PM
Pirate_Duck posted...
Yes, it is Westerner's fault that a lot of Japanese people hated FFXIII too. Damn them Westerners.

Is that true? I thought FFXIII got a perfect score from Famitsu. Isn't that a pretty trusted news source?
#7kupo1705Posted 1/2/2013 6:00:46 PM
SirLezdain posted...
Pirate_Duck posted...

Is that true? I thought FFXIII got a perfect score from Famitsu. Isn't that a pretty trusted news source?

Yup, troll thread.
#8chocolatesodaPosted 1/2/2013 6:00:49 PM
SirLezdain posted...
chocolatesoda posted...

Not really. The first option implies that both direction and story are fine, we as westerners for the most part don't get it.

I was hoping you would not say that.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI
#9ExtremeLightPosted 1/2/2013 6:02:12 PM
SirLezdain posted...
I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that the director for FFXIII is blaming the dropping success of final fantasy on western culture, that we demand things to be too open, something or other about how we like our plots or character personalities. Do you see this is a legitimate explanation that explores the differences between Eastern and Western cultures or do you think he's trying to pass off the blame for poor direction and story?

12 was according to the west "too open". Hope and Vanille have no reason to be hated. I mean since when is being emotional a bad thing?

To answer your question, it is both. I personally think 13 could have been a better story but really the game is very decisive about whether it was good or bad.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, BO2 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. 2013. Lightning Return will be super awesome.
#10ilikeikeilikeikPosted 1/2/2013 6:06:56 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
SirLezdain posted...

Hope and Vanille have no reason to be haed.

I can think of plenty.
---
Destroyed Lich with fire, and Kary with might.
Sockin' Kraken blockin' knockin' as we nuke Tiamat tonight.