Who is the mariest Mary Sue in FF ? Part 2 (spoilers)

#81TheGreatPotatoPosted 1/8/2013 6:55:42 PM
MysteryVeil posted...
To the guy who said Serah isn't a Mary Sue cause 'nothing works out for her?'

*snorts*

Oh it will. She'll have her little happily ever after. You'll see.

The definition of a Mary Sue has evolved and expanded over the years to involve many things that define one, allowing you to pick them out. It's not a black and white definition.

If you guys paid attention to fanfiction you'd know this.

Oh so she is a Mary Sue because of something that might happen in her future? Nice...

Yeah no. I see people are still throwing around Mary Sue as much as emo, while being clueless as to the actual meaning.
---
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
Mada status: angry.
#82Yuji Kaido(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 8:16:30 PM
Kagayaku08 posted...
Plant42 posted...
GazelMinistry posted...
Lightning.

Someone please educate this thread on what a Mary Sue us.

its hard to describe the idea. Its more of an amalgamation of things popularly considered bad in writing. .

better description:" The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.
She has an unusual and dramatic Back Story. The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are usually antisocial and untrusting; if any character doesn't love her, that character gets an extremely unsympathetic portrayal. She has some sort of especially close relationship to the author's favorite canon character their love interest, illegitimate child, never-before-mentioned sister, etc. Other than that, the canon characters are quickly reduced to awestruck cheerleaders, watching from the sidelines as Mary Sue outstrips them in their areas of expertise and solves problems that have stymied them for the entire series."

most FF females aren't important enough to really fit this design. Many of them are just damsels; ideal female counter parts for the male character who do not really develop on their own. Aeris is the only one that really comes close to a mary sue in the FF series.

U so smarht Kaga. But yeah. Yuna, Aeris, and Serah are definitely up there.
Too bad fanboys can't objectively rate their favorite characters.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
"All that steak made you sluggish Chie-chan !" - Yosuke, P4: Arena
#83CrepitantPosted 1/8/2013 9:33:40 PM
LolOkay posted...

Mary-Sues are females who are perfect/have no flaws and are never at fault.

Light is nowhere near perfect. Failed to stop Caius. And pretty much got her sister killed.

"A fictional character, usually female and especially in fanfic, whose implausible talents and likeableness weaken the story." gogle dictionry

I feel Lightning fits this description very well.
#84AlmasNo1FanPosted 1/8/2013 10:02:02 PM
Alma Beoulve.
---
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/yeahthatboy/gamefaqsqueens.png
By: ilikeikeilikeik
#85mahroflcopterPosted 1/9/2013 12:35:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#86MysteryVeilPosted 1/9/2013 3:30:52 AM
No, not just from her future, the whole package.

Read Potato.
---
One year anniversary! MysteryVeil and eixeeee. October 27, 2012.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/790525/Broken-Angel01
#87TheGreatPotatoPosted 1/9/2013 3:42:17 AM
MysteryVeil posted...
No, not just from her future, the whole package.

Read Potato.

Then do not bring up the useless future point.

Also, you are still wrong.
---
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
Mada status: angry.
#88mad_hax_manPosted 1/9/2013 6:54:01 PM
LolOkay posted...
Yuji Kaido posted...
Once again: Lightning is more of a John Doe.

...Do you know what any of these terms mean?

King_Shortt_IX posted...
Lightning. How someone goes from being a mere soldier to one with a goddess powers baffles the mind.

Mary-Sues are females who are perfect/have no flaws and are never at fault.

Light is nowhere near perfect. Failed to stop Caius. And pretty much got her sister killed.

LolOkay posted...
Also, if I had to choose. Serah.

So Lightning isn't a Mary Sue because she failed to stop Caius, but Serah is even though she also failed to stop Caius?

MysteryVeil posted...

The definition of a Mary Sue has evolved and expanded over the years to involve many things that define one, allowing you to pick them out. It's not a black and white definition.

If you guys paid attention to fanfiction you'd know this.

Mary Sue joins the ranks of phrases like pretentious, emo, Dues Ex Machina and Plot Hole as well many other phrases that have abused to heck and back for people desperate to use an insult, loosing all meaning in the process.

Now days people use the phrase Mary Sue to describe "important female character with a some what bland personality that I don't like."

Serah isn't a Mary Sue, considering that fact that she you know, looses. While its true that in many cases being naive isn't always enough to rescue you from being a Mary Sue, when it leads to universe being destroyed with no way of said character to fix it, then I think its a pretty big flaw.

If I had to choose one it would be Lightning. While she looses against Cauis, she has a back up plan. She becomes Etro's chosen one, is rewarded by killing Cacoons life support, Is made lead character in Dissidia 012 and pretty much has the whole universe revolving around her in XIII-2
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#89theofficefan99Posted 1/9/2013 6:58:51 PM
If I had to choose one it would be Lightning. While she looses against Cauis, she has a back up plan. She becomes Etro's chosen one, is rewarded by killing Cacoons life support, Is made lead character in Dissidia 012 and pretty much has the whole universe revolving around her in XIII-2

HOLY ****

*LOSES

I'll give you a little lesson.

Loose: Not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached

Lose: Be deprived of or cease to have or retain

Here are some sentences to help you out.

"Wow, ever since I lost 50 lbs., all my pants have been LOOSE! I need a belt!"
"I can't believe I'm LOSING to someone as dumb as Sandy at a game of chess."
"The legs on this chair are LOOSE. Are you sure this isn't dangerous?"
"I LOST my glasses. Can anyone help me find them?"

Please, please, please... know the difference between the two.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#90chocolatesodaPosted 1/9/2013 7:03:23 PM
Officefan you need to hang lose and relax.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI