Should we old FF fans retire so the new breed can enjoy the new series?

#101BlackWizardMagusPosted 1/18/2013 7:39:05 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Iseley posted...
The thing is that FF plots have become more tame and more believable with the recent entries, which is why the haters' logic makes no sense.

Wait, what? Who ever asked for a tame and believable story? I don't pick up fantasy games made in Japan for their realistic depictions and true-to-life stories. I pick them up for magic and dragons and unrealistic weapons. The thing is, no matter how much fantasy or sci-fi you have in a story, it needs to be coherent, and logical. Things need to be explained, there needs to be pacing. If anyone is asking for realism, what they mean is, for the people in it to act like real people, not for the laws of physics and biology to be the same as in our world.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#102LenneValkiryePosted 1/18/2013 7:47:15 AM(edited)
CTBradums posted...
The storyline is more akin to an over-indulgent action-scifi film than a heart-filled masterpiece.

You greatly overstimate the plots of past FFs. They all follow the same basic structure. Group of improbably young heroes with an optional token older member or two fighting against some big evil. "Heart-filled" masterpieces? You seriously need to read more books, for your own sake.

They're more interested in catering to more casual and impatient players by turning the turn-based, challenging RPG combat into a game of auto-combat that practically wins all battles for you by comparison.

Please. Are you honestly suggesting that the classic turn-based battle systems were actually challenging? You just spammed your strongest attack at every given turn, most of the time it being "Attack", until your HP were yellow. Then you popped a potion, elixir, or curaga spell.
And funny how you say that auto-battle wins the battles for you. Are you going to argue that mindlessly using auto-battle in FFXIII actually nets a higher chance of victory compared to FF7-10's limit breaks? I don't think so.

Where once, the company innovated both visuals AND depth of writing and content; now they seem only interested in making a game that looks good and sounds deep on the surface. FF13 was simply the worst offender of this.

What depth of writing? The first 5 FFs ALL use the same premise (get crystals, save the world), starting from 6 they introduced an overly big amount of angst to make the characters more human, while ironically it had the opposite effect (tell me that Cloud feels like a real person. I dare you). I really don't see this "depth", at least compared to the newer ones.

I was kinda sad at first, but I've come to accept that they're just not the same company they were in the SNES-to-PS2 era. The staff is different, and many of the key figures who helped create the classics that made up the pinnacle of RPGs and gaming have left Square-Enix. And as well as the staff, the industry has changed. In a gaming industry that's more heavily marketed than ever, companies are pushed to throw out more and more sequels and remakes for quick, guaranteed cash and play to the lowest common denominator as opposed to working on projects of the heart and worrying more about quality and content than marketability and reception.

Yeah yeah we get it. More nostalgia talk.
#103Kenichi34Posted 1/18/2013 7:55:33 AM
There's nothing that says the "old FF fans" can't enjoy the new series. Just enjoy them for what they are even if you think they don't hold up to the "old series."
---
GT: Kenichi340
"What was the point of that pregnant pause!?" - Edgeworth
#104kupo1705Posted 1/18/2013 8:00:43 AM
I enjoy good games.
Sadly, the XIII series does not meet that criteria.
#105drclaeysPosted 1/18/2013 8:03:46 AM
Friends,

I really liked my FF games on my ps2. FFX X-2, and XIi. I liked those games.

I got 13 and could only get 2 hours in. I tried again, and could only get 30 minutes in. for some reason, 13 just is not for me. and I LOVED 12.

I guess Im taking a break. I will test the waters with each new game. they have made massive changes before, IM sure they will make them again. Maybe the ps4 will be the FF platform for me.

so retire sounds so Permanent. I guess I will say taking a Break.

Enjoy your day, Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#106BlackWizardMagusPosted 1/18/2013 8:04:52 AM
You greatly overstimate the plots of past FFs. They all follow the same basic structure. Group of improbably young heroes with an optional token older member or two fighting against some big evil. "Heart-filled" masterpieces? You seriously need to read more books, for your own sake.
What does the "basic structure" have to do with anything? You can take the same basic structure and make multiple stories out of it, some good, some bad.

Please. Are you honestly suggesting that the classic turn-based battle systems were actually challenging? You just spammed your strongest attack at every given turn, most of the time it being "Attack", until your HP were yellow. Then you popped a potion, elixir, or curaga spell.
And funny how you say that auto-battle wins the battles for you. Are you going to argue that mindlessly using auto-battle in FFXIII actually nets a higher chance of victory compared to FF7-10's limit breaks? I don't think so.

Well, except for Zidane, Trance actually wasn't that useful, and I personally rarely used Overdrives, so I dunno. And your description of the turn based systems apply to FFXIII as well, except back then, you have more input, and timing was more important.

What depth of writing? The first 5 FFs ALL use the same premise (get crystals, save the world), starting from 6 they introduced an overly big amount of angst to make the characters more human, while ironically it had the opposite effect (tell me that Cloud feels like a real person. I dare you). I really don't see this "depth", at least compared to the newer ones.
And the premise matters why? 99% of a plot is not premise. In fact, many of the best stories have simple premises, and many of the best premises I've seen were the basis for lazy, if not completely terrible, plots. And I don't know what your complaint with Cloud is; I thought he was a great, and interesting, character. Would have been better if the translation for FFVII hadn't been off.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#107jaydigPosted 1/18/2013 8:12:26 AM
I retired years ago.

I'm not knocking the series, it's just not for me anymore. I don't like the art style or majority of the voice talent. The odd hairstyles and overly quirky characters bugged me.

What's the deal with the clothing? One long sleeve / pantleg. A single shoulder pad. One green glove and one black one. It looks silly to me.

Should older FF fans retire? I think so. It was appealing to me when I was 10 to 20 years old. I suspect that's the audience that will get the most enjoyment from it.
#108ZrodeathPosted 1/18/2013 8:23:44 AM
how about no
#109bdavis93Posted 1/18/2013 8:26:45 AM
I like the old FF's and the new ones, except for the MMO ones that aren't true final fantasy games. There, I said it.
#110mamervPosted 1/18/2013 8:29:47 AM
To be honest, I played 12, 13, and 13-2, and I will probably play 13-3 and enjoyed them. While I feel they in no way compare to the classics that were 6-10, I feel that to enjoy the newer games, its time to start facing the facts. The new gamer today wants the graphical representation its getting and they want a storyline that isn't like the rest that is out there. If you never had to experience the games of the psx and ps2 era, then maybe the games like 13 are to them like what 7 was to us. 10 years from now they might be in the same predicament with saying that games then aren't like games now and how 13 was so great compared to 18 (random guess), if they are still around that is. No matter how you feel about it, with the "success" that 13 had and is continuing to have, this style isn't going away, in fact it might become the new norm.

For the tl;dr people, what we had was great, the new generation never experienced this. Time to move on and realize this style isn't going away, so embrace change.
---
I don't always play video games, but when i do I prefer to do it in 36 hour marathons.