Should we old FF fans retire so the new breed can enjoy the new series?

#121Overlord HikashPosted 1/18/2013 10:19:24 AM
I've already practically retired from the series. I haven't fully enjoyed an FF game since IX.
---
100% CJ = 100% victory
tbh, Chris Johnson should go back... to Mount Olympus. - Bio_Insanity
#122CarpetfluffPosted 1/18/2013 11:00:33 AM
How does you retiring help someone else enjoy the game more? Unless you mean they won't have to read threads like this?
#123Capitan_KidPosted 1/18/2013 11:02:18 AM
ADHDguitar posted...
There are no FF fans. There are fans of random assortments of FF games.

Fan 1: FFVII is the best!
Fan 2: FFVII is terrible! FFVIII is the best!
Fan 3: FFVIII is terrible! FFIX is the best!
Fan 4: FFIX is terrible! FFX is the best!

Exactly. Final Fantasy is such a large and varied series so it has all kinds of fans.
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#124LenneValkiryePosted 1/18/2013 11:06:24 AM
Capitan_Kid posted...
ADHDguitar posted...

Exactly. Final Fantasy is such a large and varied series so it has all kinds of fans.

I only see the ones who appreciate every entry even if it's not high on their favorite list and those who put a handful of them on the pedestal and trash all the ones that don't meet their standards.
#125zodiac_swordPosted 1/18/2013 11:07:56 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...
ADHDguitar posted...

I only see the ones who appreciate every entry even if it's not high on their favorite list and those who put a handful of them on the pedestal and trash all the ones that don't meet their standards.

And which do you fall under?
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#126SyserinPosted 1/18/2013 11:37:45 AM
Personally i feel this franchise started going down hill after FF10. Either way its nowhere near as good as it use to be. Props to Square for still focusing on the one thing they always have Cinematics and graphics but their gameplay standards in a lot of games are lacking.
#127justdontaskPosted 1/18/2013 12:02:51 PM
i didnt get into FF til 7, but ive played all of em since then, skip 11... am i wrong for enjoying 13, 12, and 13-2 the most? nope...

this is a varied series of games, and if you believe someone is wrong for liking one, you need to rethink your beliefs.... if we cant like games that are different, shouldnt we all just play CoD? theyre pretty similar every entry, just a few name changed, environment changes, and slightly better graphics every time...

that doesnt mean theyre bad, since many people enjoy them, but lets face it, thats not what FF does, and we should be glad it doesnt... if i want to play the same game, im not gonna spend $60 to buy it, ill just play what i have...

the people who think FF has been ruined are the problem with the fanbase... its been ruined because it did what it does best? it does something different, just like every other entry, but this change ruined the whole series? and now there are people that will refuse to buy new FFs, because they didnt enjoy 13, and 14 is an mmo... right, because 7, 8, and 9 were exactly the same, so 13 and the rest will be exactly the same too, am i gettin this right?

logic escapes this place i swear...
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.
#128Mindwipe77Posted 1/18/2013 12:05:27 PM
i will always play and purchase ff games( been here since day 1 of the ff on nes) and no ff to date has come close to topping my fav ff, ff 6. Im excited for LR though.
---
Now playing-Playstation all stars
GOTY 2013-Lightning Returns
#129DViper97Posted 1/18/2013 12:54:38 PM(edited)
LenneValkirye posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...
ADHDguitar posted...

This ^^, especially the bolded part. I also see far too many people trying to play the victim and act like they are a group that's more important than everyone else, like the so-called "old FF fans" in this thread. Child, please.

Did anyone else see the title of this thread, roll their eyes, and ask just what actually qualifies one as an old FF fan?

I've said this many times, on various FF boards, but I've been playing FF since '97. Between then and now, I've played, as well as beaten, all except 4 of the numbered games (2 of which are the MMOs, one of which I still play). So, while I've not been playing since '87, I've definitely not a newbie to the series. If that makes me one of these "old FF fans", then count me out, as I actually enjoy the new games in the series.

In fact, you can count me among the former of the two types of people described in the bolded statement from Lenne's post. I'm one of those people who actually plays FF because they really are a fan of the series, not just a couple of games from it. Oh, and I manage to be a fan without relentlessly trashing other games in the series. I find my time better spent actually playing the games.
---
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here.
#130KaiKun91Posted 1/18/2013 6:32:57 PM
Don't retire but blend in with the new generation. Just like 2D fighting game, we thought 3D was going to be the future yet 2D is still out there.