Should we old FF fans retire so the new breed can enjoy the new series?

#21ilikeikeilikeikPosted 1/16/2013 5:07:31 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
Exentryk posted...
To be fair, SE is still releasing new sprite based games (FF dimensions, FFATB) to keep the older fans happy. Since the older fans are most likely working, and have busy lives, SE release these games on mobiles.

Yeah? Mind = Blown?

1. We're not demanding sprite based games from them.
2. FFATB making people happy? put down the drugs, NOW.

I like sprite based games.

Me too. I also like the ATB system.
---
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/wenewa/IMG_0296_zps833a9829.jpg
#22MagnaderAlphaPosted 1/16/2013 5:22:18 PM
I wouldn't say old fans should retire, but they should be more open to Square trying to reach for a new audience. And I don't necessarily mean strictly teens either. I've always been a firm supporter of gamer variety. Gaming, in general, is never good when you have one age bracket showing dominance over another. The more diverse in age gamers are, the more larger the fanbase.

I do think kids get the shaft nowadays. This is speaking from a kid of the 80s, back when Saturday mornings were filled up your ass with cartoons and good stuff, now, it's mainly second-hand cable educational crap and ultra early "kick your kids out of the living room" sports programming. It's an observation, but my generation seems to have grown up through the decades having things catered to them, to the point, now we are in charge and we've molded the world to cater to us, and to hell with the kids. If anything, they have to meet us at OUR level, not us at theirs. We're the adults, after all. We work hard, we play harder, even if it's at the expense of quality family time or little Timmy's experimentation with different gaming genres. Hell, who's to bet that the gaming taste of the parents is forced down upon their kids? COD loving parents are priming their kids to be FPS gods. I think, believe, at that young of an age, children should be able to choose what games THEY want to play without parental interference. If they want to play SkyLanders or Elmo's "What the Heck Happened to My Career" Adventure, they should. If their parents are FPS hounds and they grow up liking RTS or RPGs, they should be given that freedom to go off in that direction. All avenues should be open to them to explore what gaming genre they like best, not what they are told to like(just so their parents could be gaming buddies with them).

That being said, Square, I believe, should reach out to younger audiences. Not necessarily kiddy gaming(many of the stuff that got us into gaming wasn't kiddy by definition), but something more "gateway RPG" for younger fans to pick up and discover the genre, and perhaps fall in love with it. Start a new loyal legion. Now, I'm by no way saying they should stop with more teen+ storylines/FF worlds, but they should give it a considerable thought. We don't exist in a vacuum. Final Fantasy, the series, will remain relevant as long as each generation deems it to be, and to that, you HAVE to reach out to the next one. The sooner(and younger), the better.
#23Lelouch71Posted 1/16/2013 6:37:28 PM
I've been around since FFVIII and I played just about every entry except FF3, 11, and 14. And I enjoy the series just fine. I look forward to seeing what LR, Versus, and FFXV have to offer. The fans that spend all their time b****ing and moaning can retire. I might stop thinking the FF fanbase is a piece of trash if that happen.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#24JudgeNoahPosted 1/16/2013 6:50:31 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I've played all the final fantasy games, and I enjoy XIII just as much as the older ones. o.o Maybe you guys have just gotten too old and cynical for such things? Have you lost your innocence? Kind of like how grown ups can't see peter pan anymore.

*high five*
---
"Outta my way!"
Lightning
#25ragnarokiusPosted 1/16/2013 6:53:51 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I've played all the final fantasy games, and I enjoy XIII just as much as the older ones. o.o Maybe you guys have just gotten too old and cynical for such things? Have you lost your innocence? Kind of like how grown ups can't see peter pan anymore.

I suspect this is my problem with the recent stories. I can't take them seriously.

I don't think that really covers the gameplay though. At least in XIII. There isn't a whole lot of variety.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m
#26ExtremeLightPosted 1/16/2013 6:59:02 PM
My question is what is the "New Breed"? The kids that started playing CoD1 or CoD4? The kid that started playing X or XIII?

I played FF since X. I played X, X-2, XII, VII DoC (awesome third person shooter mind you, a perfect example of what Versus' shooter may be like), XIII, Dissidia, Dissida 012, 13-2 and soon LR, Versus and Type-0(hopefully).
I learned about the VII story through KH's Sephiroth vs Sora/Cloud fights and by reading stuffs online. I can understand why people want a remake.

As I do not think you should move on, not just yet. Look at 12. By no mean, was that game was made for kids. More like 16+. The story was political for older audiences. Also the Battle/Level up system was made for thinking more.
Seeing the reaction of the game, SE realize that they cannot move that way so they dumb it down back to X level. Don't believe me? Explain the linearity, similar story (in term of being enemies of the state), similar level up system (thought XIII was way more limited). They went back to X style and was met with dispute. That is why they won't go back to the way of the old games. They're scared that they will lose more of their fans.

And then there is Versus... The idea is to combine element from FF1-14 and KH to make this super game. I have high hopes that it is the next best game we been looking for, beating out 7 and 10. But I fear, It is in serious danger of being overhyped.
Versus seem to be the game of the old with the elements of the new. Proved successful we may be looking at a different direction for SE.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#27westontickleePosted 1/16/2013 7:00:16 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
I've been around since FFVIII and I played just about every entry except FF3, 11, and 14. And I enjoy the series just fine. I look forward to seeing what LR, Versus, and FFXV have to offer. The fans that spend all their time b****ing and moaning can retire. I might stop thinking the FF fanbase is a piece of trash if that happen.

Took the words right out of my mouth
#28heartlessprinnyPosted 1/16/2013 7:05:41 PM
I've finally done it! I've created a new breed of human! They told me I was insane, that you can't create a new breed of humans as if they were dogs, BUT THEY WERE WRONG! This new breed is highly resistant to Square's modern games, they seem unfazed by the apparent lack of quality. Now FF will live FOREVER, even if it's just a mangled zombie corpse of it's former self...

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE! Why couldn't I let my beloved die a peaceful death?
#29Zell1226Posted 1/16/2013 7:12:17 PM
I wish they would stop with the iPhone crap. iOS is garbage, and Apple products are ridiculously overpriced for the specs. Android would at least be reasonable. Secondly, they claim it's some sort of mobile revolution. What happened to the 3DS and Vita? I don't want watered down crap games on a smartphone with touch controls. I want Bravely Default, FFV/FFVI remake, an actual new game that isn't social media garbage, etc.

I only have XIV:ARR to look forward to. Lightning Returns is a "well I guess I gotta finish what I started". Square has been garbage lately.
---
www.youtube.com/user/ZellDincht1226 - Gameplay videos!
www.twitch.tv/zelldincht1226 - Live Streams! Almost every day! Please follow!
#30OpheliaAdenadePosted 1/16/2013 7:15:33 PM
Zell1226 posted...
I wish they would stop with the iPhone crap. iOS is garbage, and Apple products are ridiculously overpriced for the specs. Android would at least be reasonable. Secondly, they claim it's some sort of mobile revolution. What happened to the 3DS and Vita? I don't want watered down crap games on a smartphone with touch controls. I want Bravely Default, FFV/FFVI remake, an actual new game that isn't social media garbage, etc.

I only have XIV:ARR to look forward to. Lightning Returns is a "well I guess I gotta finish what I started". Square has been garbage lately.

Mobile gaming is popular in Japan. You know, SE's primary market. If you don't like the games don't buy them.
---
http://bln.gs/b/24i7sw