Should we old FF fans retire so the new breed can enjoy the new series?

#71Snorlax_exlaxPosted 1/17/2013 3:19:05 PM
kratoscar2008 posted...
I decided to stay just for the laughs.

At what?
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/exChardude.png
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/SNORLAXex.png
#72kratoscar2008(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 3:26:05 PM
Snorlax_exlax posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
I decided to stay just for the laughs.

At what?

At these forums topics.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
#73MoonlightJustPosted 1/17/2013 3:33:18 PM
LenneValkirye posted...
The old fans are in denial because they expect a series aimed to teenagers to grow up and get old with them.
It's like asking Disney to forget about their target audience and start focusing on mature movies.
The industry doesn't work that way.

I had other things to respond to, but I REALLY have to address this. You're wrong. The fans of the old games can still go back and enjoy those games for what they are, and you don't see the games suddenly updating to follow their age do you? No. Its because those games are still GOOD GAMES, and they are still enjoyable for what they are. But...nice attempt at justifying your reasoning.

On topic, meh. I am more or less done with Square-Enix at this point. I've stuck with them since FFI, but at this point they'd have to put out something I really enjoyed. Going to try XIV ARR, but even if that's good, it won't remove the bad taste in my mouth from so many other games. XIII, XIII-2 ((Just the storyline there, enjoyed the gameplay overall)), 3rd Birthday, Front Mission Evolved, the slew of IOS games, Lightning Returns...
#74kirusuPosted 1/17/2013 3:36:32 PM
MoonlightJust posted...
LenneValkirye posted...
The old fans are in denial because they expect a series aimed to teenagers to grow up and get old with them.
It's like asking Disney to forget about their target audience and start focusing on mature movies.
The industry doesn't work that way.

I had other things to respond to, but I REALLY have to address this. You're wrong. The fans of the old games can still go back and enjoy those games for what they are, and you don't see the games suddenly updating to follow their age do you? No. Its because those games are still GOOD GAMES, and they are still enjoyable for what they are. But...nice attempt at justifying your reasoning.

On topic, meh. I am more or less done with Square-Enix at this point. I've stuck with them since FFI, but at this point they'd have to put out something I really enjoyed. Going to try XIV ARR, but even if that's good, it won't remove the bad taste in my mouth from so many other games. XIII, XIII-2 ((Just the storyline there, enjoyed the gameplay overall)), 3rd Birthday, Front Mission Evolved, the slew of IOS games, Lightning Returns...

agreed. i see more complaints from ff13 fans than the actual ff itself. strange
---
gamefaqs. home of the funny and source of information.
#75IseleyPosted 1/18/2013 3:40:31 AM
I don't know. I've been playing the games since the first one (only played I, IV, and VI before VII until we finally got the older ones) and I don't think the quality is really dropping. I don't know what the complaints are. If you want to say the dialog and story is terrible, replay the old games and tell me it isn't just as bad or worse. You certainly can't claim it's better.

The problem you're experiencing is called maturing. Some people can still handle absolutely insane, off-the-wall stories when they mature. Others cannot and that's not Square's problem. Despite how you feel, the Final Fantasy brand still contains one of the best JRPGs experiences and that's not even close. What else does it compete with? Mistwalker was releasing games and now Sakaguchi has just been ignoring PS3/360. There are no JRPGs that can really compete with the quality of the Final Fantasy games.

To each their own, but please, take off the nostalgia glasses.
---
--=*Proud supporter of LGBT rights*=--
It's Ashley or Ash, not bro, or son, or man.
#76zodiac_swordPosted 1/18/2013 4:01:07 AM(edited)
Iseley posted...
Take off the nostalgia glasses.

argument's credibility = 0.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#77LenneValkiryePosted 1/18/2013 4:40:01 AM(edited)
Iseley posted...

The problem you're experiencing is called maturing. Some people can still handle absolutely insane, off-the-wall stories when they mature. Others cannot and that's not Square's problem.

The thing is that FF plots have become more tame and more believable with the recent entries, which is why the haters' logic makes no sense.

In FFIV we had some crazy mechanic going kamikaze for no reason whatsoever.

In FFVI we had a psychotic clown taking over the world and destroying it for the lulz.

In FFVII we have an emo guy who pretends to be someone else while not realizing that as well as a psychotic former "hero" with a god complex and an overly complex plan to destroy the world.

In FFX we have a completely clueless girl who needs to reach the other side of the world on foot before realizing that she's wasting time even though there is a mountain of evidence during the entire game that supports the hard truth.

In FFXII we have a simple resistance vs power-hungry empire battle.

In FFXIII we have a group of people dealing with the consequences of being labaled as terrorists so they can't just spend time doing shopping and sleeping in hotels like everything is fine.

Granted that FFXIII-2 went back to the less believable plots, but at least it makes it pretty clear that "time traveling" has a price to pay and "being the chosen one" doesn't equal to "you're going to win against someone is obviously stronger than you". That alone makes it a more believable plot than some older FFs can say.
#78EscaSyraPosted 1/18/2013 4:40:08 AM
I'm an old fan and I like the XIII series.
#79zodiac_swordPosted 1/18/2013 4:42:02 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
The thing is that FF plots have become more tame and more believable with the recent entries, which is why the haters' logic makes no sense.

13-2's time travel is tame and believable?
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#80kupo1705Posted 1/18/2013 4:44:37 AM
zodiac_sword posted...
LenneValkirye posted...

13-2's time travel is tame and believable?

Don't bother.