Should we old FF fans retire so the new breed can enjoy the new series?

#91zodiac_swordPosted 1/18/2013 6:12:56 AM
Also the final boss's death being a part of his plan (happens in 13 and 13-2) is less believable than previous FF games.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#92GrabacrLeaderPosted 1/18/2013 6:15:15 AM
SE puts all their money and recources into FF14, not Lightning Returns. LR looks pretty cheap in comprasion. If only they put so much effort into single-player games, then we would have gotten 3 proper FF games by now. And that includes Versus XIII. Sadly, SE doesn't care. So, as FF13 fan, I can't say SE is anywhere near my favorite company either. Their real fans are MMO players and japanese that are playing their browser and mobile games. That's what Wada cares about anyway.
#93EscaSyraPosted 1/18/2013 6:18:03 AM
GrabacrLeader posted...
SE puts all their money and recources into FF14, not Lightning Returns. LR looks pretty cheap in comprasion. If only they put so much effort into single-player games, then we would have gotten 3 proper FF games by now. And that includes Versus XIII. Sadly, SE doesn't care. So, as FF13 fan, I can't say SE is anywhere near my favorite company either. Their real fans are MMO players and japanese that are playing their browser and mobile games. That's what Wada cares about anyway.

Well they're mainly doing that because XIV was a huge failure. It would be a giant financial mistake to not throw their resources at it and try to salvage it. It looks like they're succeeding at redeeming it which will allow them to focus on the single player games until the next MMO they decide to create.
#94DarkMasterShakePosted 1/18/2013 6:19:36 AM
foo1239 posted...
Just because you don't like the XIII series, doesnt mean SE will never make a Final Fantasy game you like ever again.

Man I hope so...I think the problem people have with XIII and its sequels is the fact that SE seems to be throwing it in our face, while not translating well recieved games like Type-0 and not giving any info on Versus.

I'm sure they seem the hate this game gets, yeah there are people who like it,good for them I'm glad they can enjoy, but this is the first FF game/series I've ever hated this much, and it seems a lot of people agree. What about those fans? What about the fans that have been fans for years and if they are like me, feel like SE is completely blowing them off?

First game was bad, then the second is like "ok maybe they got it out of their system now" A third sequel is ridiculous, especially when there's other things you know your fanbase want.
---
Indianapolis Colts: 11-6
Luck for R.O.T.Y!!!!!!
#95EscaSyraPosted 1/18/2013 6:22:20 AM
DarkMasterShake posted...
foo1239 posted...
Just because you don't like the XIII series, doesnt mean SE will never make a Final Fantasy game you like ever again.

Man I hope so...I think the problem people have with XIII and its sequels is the fact that SE seems to be throwing it in our face, while not translating well recieved games like Type-0 and not giving any info on Versus.

I'm sure they seem the hate this game gets, yeah there are people who like it,good for them I'm glad they can enjoy, but this is the first FF game/series I've ever hated this much, and it seems a lot of people agree. What about those fans? What about the fans that have been fans for years and if they are like me, feel like SE is completely blowing them off?

First game was bad, then the second is like "ok maybe they got it out of their system now" A third sequel is ridiculous, especially when there's other things you know your fanbase want.

I hated FFX and VI. Time for some payback against those that did. Haha I kid. It sucks that you don't like it, but leaving XIII where it's at when it clearly needs to be finished would elicit my anger for them. I'm already angry that it's taking the VII compilation forever to finish. I don't want XIII to be put on hold as well.
#96arvilinoPosted 1/18/2013 6:41:55 AM(edited)
zodiac_sword posted...
Also the final boss's death being a part of his plan (happens in 13 and 13-2) is less believable than previous FF games.

Guess you haven't played many of them because there's actually another game in the series that does just that.
#97assassinreaperPosted 1/18/2013 6:42:07 AM
The persona series is a great turn based jrpg.im not really old but I've been playing final fantasy games sense I could read. My first was final fantasy3/6 and I'm 20 now regardless of what my dig says
---
Please excuse my grammar I'm an American teenager.
#98GrabacrLeaderPosted 1/18/2013 6:55:14 AM
EscaSyra posted...
GrabacrLeader posted...

Well they're mainly doing that because XIV was a huge failure. It would be a giant financial mistake to not throw their resources at it and try to salvage it. It looks like they're succeeding at redeeming it which will allow them to focus on the single player games until the next MMO they decide to create.

Most of the talent SE is throwing at FF14 will stay there imo. It's not like Chrono Cross team did anything after FF11. That was their final game. So, as a JRPG player I don't really care for FF14 success.
And no, they aren't even trying to make single-player games for consoles. And this won't change. If you actually read Wada's interviews, he always says that the company is going to concentrate on social games in the future. MMOs, browser, mobile games etc.
#99King_Shortt_IXPosted 1/18/2013 7:11:34 AM
We the old breed must re-educate the younger generation.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#100CTBradumsPosted 1/18/2013 7:35:11 AM
I've essentially already done this. I've been a hugely devoted fan of Square, and I tried to stick through the Square-Enix era, but no matter how hard I try, it's just increasingly clear that their priorities and capabilities have changes. This isn't the Dream Team anymore. The storyline is more akin to an over-indulgent action-scifi film than a heart-filled masterpiece. They're more interested in catering to more casual and impatient players by turning the turn-based, challenging RPG combat into a game of auto-combat that practically wins all battles for you by comparison. Where once, the company innovated both visuals AND depth of writing and content; now they seem only interested in making a game that looks good and sounds deep on the surface. FF13 was simply the worst offender of this.

I was kinda sad at first, but I've come to accept that they're just not the same company they were in the SNES-to-PS2 era. The staff is different, and many of the key figures who helped create the classics that made up the pinnacle of RPGs and gaming have left Square-Enix. And as well as the staff, the industry has changed. In a gaming industry that's more heavily marketed than ever, companies are pushed to throw out more and more sequels and remakes for quick, guaranteed cash and play to the lowest common denominator as opposed to working on projects of the heart and worrying more about quality and content than marketability and reception.