The Death of Final Fantasy article

#141Jprime666Posted 1/19/2013 10:00:51 AM(edited)
Snorlax_exlax posted...
Jprime666 posted...
Better this than the nukes.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/328ba4ed26f374d6b6d26c3788bf3f31/tumblr_mguxg86QOO1rk5192o1_1280.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2994/tumblrmeio05moex1r7gly9.jpg
#142MoogleCakePosted 1/19/2013 10:11:51 AM
El_Zaggy posted...
youhave to admit since final fantasy 6 the series went downhill with each installement.

I'm not talking about the series going downhill lol. Kotaku, Destructoid and other such sites are always negative about Final Fantasy, 100% guaranteed on any article about the series they post. Kotaku even managed to turn the 25th anniversary post they put up for the series into a tirade about how it's dying, which is absolutely hilarious unless you're someone who takes this series way too seriously and are forecasting doom and gloom along with them (and mourning its passing like it had feelings, or treating it as anything other than what it is, a brand of entertainment products made by people trying to make a living).

El_Zaggy posted...
they should just let go of the series. At least for a good 10 years. Just time to let them time to make something worth of the Final Fantayi name. But they just cant for money reason. Then you get mediocre games like FF7, FFX, FF12, FF13.....

Sure, I'm up for new IPs. I'm the wrong guy to talk to if you want that to happen though, since ya know, I don't work at SE or have any influence with them.

El_Zaggy posted...
If I could talk to the people at SE, I just would say its okay to kill a franchise but just move on to new franchises. They need to move on! I fact i think the SEm divisions outside japan made more money with their games than the Japan branch that makes final Fantasy. Critically aclaimed games like human Revolution probably made more money than FF12 or ff12-2

Go in front of the hundreds of people at the company who work on the various FF games and tell them that you want them to kill off FF and that the franchise makes so little money as to be inconsequential. I'm sure they'll all happily agree with your sound logic.
#143MoogleCakePosted 1/19/2013 10:13:22 AM
MoogleCake posted...
El_Zaggy posted...
youhave to admit since final fantasy 6 the series went downhill with each installement.

I'm not talking about the series going downhill lol. Kotaku, Destructoid and other such sites are always negative about Final Fantasy, 100% guaranteed on any article about the series. Kotaku even managed to turn the 25th anniversary post they put up into a tirade about how it's dying, which is absolutely hilarious unless you're someone who takes this series way too seriously and are forecasting doom and gloom along with them (and mourning its passing like it had feelings, or treating it as anything other than what it is, a brand of entertainment products made by people trying to make a living).

El_Zaggy posted...
they should just let go of the series. At least for a good 10 years. Just time to let them time to make something worth of the Final Fantayi name. But they just cant for money reason. Then you get mediocre games like FF7, FFX, FF12, FF13.....

Sure, I'm up for new IPs. I'm the wrong guy to talk to if you want that to happen though, since ya know, I don't work at SE or have any influence with them.

El_Zaggy posted...
If I could talk to the people at SE, I just would say its okay to kill a franchise but just move on to new franchises. They need to move on! I fact i think the SEm divisions outside japan made more money with their games than the Japan branch that makes final Fantasy. Critically aclaimed games like human Revolution probably made more money than FF12 or ff12-2

Go in front of the hundreds of people at the company who work on the various FF games and tell them that you want them to kill off FF and that the franchise makes so little money as to be inconsequential. I'm sure they'll all happily agree with your sound logic.
#144Kaioshin SamaPosted 1/19/2013 10:15:15 AM
I'd call it disappointing rather than depressing. It really does seem like Square Enix is actively going out of it's way now to alienate as many people as possible, but I wonder if it's possible to blame most of what's happened of late on Yoichi Wada who has surrounded himself with people like Toriyama and Nomura who just don't seem to understand how to relate to Western fans of Square's Franchises anymore. It seems like ever since he took over with his straightforward "no nonsense" and business oriented approach Square Enix just hasn't managed to get much done right or even done period and now they even barely talk to or seem to listen to the fans and interviewers anymore. Rather he seems fixated on this idea of producing "next gen content" which seems to translate to nickel and diming customers with IoS games and focusing exclusively on one or two current franchises (lets be honest it's FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts) while leaving everything else that made fans fall in love with them to the past. It's a risky gambit thats still hard to tell if it's completely backfired or not till the new FFXIV is release.

Also hard not to notice is that under his watch you've had key people quitting the company left and right under his watch like the Front Mission creator who possibly left cause he had nothing to do anymore, Yasumi Matsuno who was probably their best writer and visionary after Sakaguchi left and just a whole bunch of poorly managed projects that have either had to be completely remade (FFXIV), are stuck in development hell (Versus) or for whatever reason just can't seem to make the jump across the Atlantic (Bravely Default, Agito). It pretty much looks like a sinking ship content and creativity wise to me with not many positives to point to for an entire console generation.

What Square is doing now really reminds me a lot of the things Sega was doing and saying when they were positively struggling to put out a decent new Sonic game and before they transitioned more into a role of content publisher, which is where Square seems to be heading with their recent acquisitions and the fact that they're most critically acclaimed published games of this generation have pretty much all been ones developed by Western studios or upstart Japanese ones like Deus Ex and Nier. Still the content output is slow in this category too even if the results have been better so who knows if that really is what they have planned.
---
"I combined the Gundam Mark II and Rick Dias, and added new armor. I call it the 'Zeta Gundam'." - Kamille Bidan
#145MoogleCakePosted 1/19/2013 10:15:16 AM
>_______> dammit. I wanted to edit out redundant words, not quote my entire post. fjdk
#146GojeranPosted 1/21/2013 5:27:07 AM
X was terrible.

Tidus is possibly one of the worst leads in not only RPGdom, but all of gaming. Beaten maybe by Vaan from XII.

Also, calling the monster that is destroying the world "Sin" is ham-fisted at best.
---
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate comes out March 19th for the Wii U.
#147The_CiscoPosted 1/21/2013 6:15:49 AM
wow. I should have collected the "death of final fantasy" articles. I liked the "death of FF" article when FFX came out. It was hilarious. I thought the "the death of FF" during FF8's time was a bit harsh. This one, the "death of FF" 13 versions can't come close to the goth rants of the past "death of FF" articles.
#148King_Shortt_IXPosted 1/21/2013 6:23:22 AM
A moment of silence......
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.