Lightning FIRST female protagonist!

#141DrYnotPosted 1/20/2013 1:20:24 AM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
DrYnot posted...
<
Let's please not try to rewrite history for the sake of making Dr. Frank 'N' Furter more palatable. Pattens were no more high heels than a ham sandwich is a hamburger, and portraits from the time soundly refute your ludicrous claim that men wore thongs and bellyshirts. And save the winkwinknudgenudge implications on my masculinity for someone who takes you seriously, because the last person who's opinion I'll regard on that end is someone who believes Kuja's nonsense is excused by imaginary historical precedence.

You need to look up the things the french aristocracy wore then. Of course Kuja's was exaggerated (it is a fantasy game), but that is what the concept came from. He even got a DLC costume in Dissida that showed it to a greater extent. You should actually look into things before you call me a liar.

And I don't know much about your masculinity, but you seem pretty quick to lash out in defense of it. :P

And you seem pretty quick to lash out against it, but I'll save us all the asinine implication that you must be gelded as personal attacks on GameFAQS of all places bore me. As for the 'inspiration', long flowing clothes in pastel colors do not thongs and bellyshirts make. Claiming Kuja's was just 'exaggerated' is like saying Fat Man was just a powdercharge someone overpacked. No. They're fundamentally different in scope and egregiousness. And I honestly can't even imagine a costume that could 'show it' to a greater extent. What was it? A pair of crotchless panties and some nipple tassles?
#142The_Mighty_KELPPosted 1/20/2013 1:27:54 AM
I'm sorry, but Terra from FF6 would like to have a word with you about this whole "first" thing. So would Celes.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#143coconutarmy1Posted 1/20/2013 1:29:05 AM
'Tis Japaneese. It's kind of the style in their art, like it was in Greece way back when. Though final fantasy 6's male lead had a pretty muscular build in comparison with the other characters in the concept art. Admittedly, the main characters were probably Terra and Celes, but Locke had a pretty good part in it too.
---
Currently commanding a platoon of coconuts. Slow work, but very fulfilling.
#144bigtim777Posted 1/20/2013 1:38:31 AM
People who bash on Lightning clearly haven't played XIII. Since there's nothing wrong with her. In fact she might be one of the greatest MC's I've ever seen in games. Okay I'm not talking about XIII-2 in which she lost her sparks.
---
FF6 > FF13 > FF4 > FF5 > FF10 > FF3 > FF1
#145monsterlord-18Posted 1/20/2013 1:42:27 AM
what? Terra wasn't? Aerith wasn't? Yuna wasn't?
#146OpheliaAdenadePosted 1/20/2013 1:46:25 AM
DrYnot posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
DrYnot posted...
<
Let's please not try to rewrite history for the sake of making Dr. Frank 'N' Furter more palatable. Pattens were no more high heels than a ham sandwich is a hamburger, and portraits from the time soundly refute your ludicrous claim that men wore thongs and bellyshirts. And save the winkwinknudgenudge implications on my masculinity for someone who takes you seriously, because the last person who's opinion I'll regard on that end is someone who believes Kuja's nonsense is excused by imaginary historical precedence.

You need to look up the things the french aristocracy wore then. Of course Kuja's was exaggerated (it is a fantasy game), but that is what the concept came from. He even got a DLC costume in Dissida that showed it to a greater extent. You should actually look into things before you call me a liar.

And I don't know much about your masculinity, but you seem pretty quick to lash out in defense of it. :P

And you seem pretty quick to lash out against it, but I'll save us all the asinine implication that you must be gelded as personal attacks on GameFAQS of all places bore me. As for the 'inspiration', long flowing clothes in pastel colors do not thongs and bellyshirts make. Claiming Kuja's was just 'exaggerated' is like saying Fat Man was just a powdercharge someone overpacked. No. They're fundamentally different in scope and egregiousness. And I honestly can't even imagine a costume that could 'show it' to a greater extent. What was it? A pair of crotchless panties and some nipple tassles?

It was inspired by it though. That's what I mean. I didn't say they dressed the same, but that feminine and flamboyant clothes were typical of those people. Which translates into what Kuja is wearing. Why can't you get that? And his DLC costume actually isn't very revealing. Why not try looking at things instead of going on the attack?
---
http://bln.gs/b/24i7sw
#147Christopher Belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 1:58:50 AM
Square's logic with Terra was that since she was part of a "party" of heroes that she wasn't the first stand alone heroine.

Smoke up the a, but whatever...
---
When the going gets tough, kick going in the balls!
#148DrYnotPosted 1/20/2013 3:02:02 AM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
DrYnot posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
DrYnot posted...
<

It was inspired by it though. That's what I mean. I didn't say they dressed the same, but that feminine and flamboyant clothes were typical of those people. Which translates into what Kuja is wearing. Why can't you get that? And his DLC costume actually isn't very revealing. Why not try looking at things instead of going on the attack?

Again, 'inspired' doesn't actually excuse anything. You're laying the blame for Square's psychotic design decisions at the feet of the french when the things are so vastly different from each other that...Hell, I could easily be inspired by the sound of raindrops into setting a fire. It's meaningless and doesn't excuse, qualify or mitigate anything. French medieval style doesn't suggest Kuja's outfit to anybody but the already insane.
#149DahlVaughnniPosted 1/20/2013 3:11:53 AM
Some_Static posted...
idk, it's what people like. I can pretty much guarantee FF games wouldn't have sold as well if characters like Jecht, Auron, or Basch took the lead role.

I'm actually vaguely reminded of this piece of FFX gender-swap fanart I saw. All the characters who were male were suddenly really gorgeous women, but the characters who were female and supposed to be male were androgynous at most. the majority of people playing these games don't want that, but we have a few characters here and there to appeal to that taste as well.

Fun fact, Basch was originally filling the lead role in FF12. It was only very late in the development cycle that they tossed Vaan and Penelo in there, sorta shoe-horned in. Hence why they have no real personality or purpose.
---
Gamertag: Archlvt (I no longer have XBL Gold)
3DS FC: 4296 3610 2207
#150thisranksPosted 1/20/2013 4:09:18 AM
I guess this is working in Square's favor seeing as bringing up the topic is getting people to talk/argue about it. It keeps people focusing on this game.

That said, i guess this is only going to matter to those folks that make it a point to make a bigger deal out of this than necessary. It's a video game. If i had a daughter i would prefer that she look to a real life role model.

Let's face it. Most female protagonists are created by males, and they go by what they see as their ideal female ... not necessarily what everybody else thinks.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW