LR creators justify third game in the series with falling sales

#51The_Undying_84Posted 1/20/2013 7:53:05 AM
FreakonaIeash posted...
TheGreatPotato posted...
It will probably sell the same as 13-2. New people will equal those lost.

I can already see an army of new people getting hooked into "The last game they will ever play".

Oh wait.

The only that could actually happen is if it was so bad that I actually died from playing it. Which is pretty likely but fortunately I won't play it in the first place.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#52ManaYukaPosted 1/20/2013 8:06:58 AM(edited)
Falling sales or not, 3.1m sold copies is still a ridicolously big number, especially for a PS3 game.

Isn't FFXIII-2 the third or so most sold PS3 game in Japan? I'm pretty sure only FFXIII and MGS4 are ahead of it. That alone definitely warrants a sequel.

Loosing 50% of your audience is huge to a corporation like SE. It means next game usually gets less funding to compensate, and if they assume to loose more players for LR that doesnt bode well for this game, and might be why they game doesnt look as good as it could, and thats probably the least of its problems.

Right here SE is acknowledging that the drop from players affects them, so dont look at it so optimistically like you always do Lenne

Im not saying its time to panic, but come on...
---
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
I am not female; Yukanna means "the valiant" in Japanese.
#53BlueDragmirePosted 1/20/2013 8:00:03 AM
I'm sure FFXIII-2 fit every projection that SE had. No matter what your opinion of FFXIII, when you make sequels so quickly, there's going to be a Falling Rate of Return. Its seen in just about every film franchise. Yeah, Halloween 2 made a lot less money than Halloween 1 - the first film grabbed 70 mil and the second got 25 mil (in 1980s dollars), but that's still acceptable from the studio's point of view.

Now, FFXIII-2 definitely didn't perform wonderfully, it might have merely met expectations or at best barely surpassed them, but it was still enough of a success that SE felt they could make a third.

So the solution here: don't buy FFXIII-3 and they won't make FFXIII-4.
---
The official monarch of every single board.
http://bluehighwind.blogspot.com/
#54Some_StaticPosted 1/20/2013 8:05:25 AM(edited)
IDK, the Assassin's Creed games have consistently seen sales of 7-8 million copies in each installment. Oh, and Uncharted sold about 2.6 million copies, but Uncharted 2 sold 5 million, then Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million.

What I'm saying is, I think most companies don't expect a 50% drop.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://somestatic.tumblr.com
Don't mess with Mrs. Chu; she'll put you in the soup.
#55chaosflame108Posted 1/20/2013 1:55:42 PM
"Not listening to player feedback."

Umm..........huh? One of the largest complaints of 13-2 was Lightning's miniscule screen time, and now Returns is nothing but LIGHTNING.
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#56DragoonGriffithPosted 1/20/2013 2:02:10 PM
Vekkerer posted...

On the other hand, it really does seem like they're convinced that they should keep making FF13 games until Lightning is heralded as a classic and iconic character.

And this is why they're utterly insane. SE is run by incompetent monkeys.

100% agree.
---
Currently playing: CT (DS), ToR, LoZ:WW.
#57arvilinoPosted 1/20/2013 2:16:47 PM(edited)
chaosflame108 posted...

Umm..........huh? One of the largest complaints of 13-2 was Lightning's miniscule screen time, and now Returns is nothing but LIGHTNING.

I think it's the case of the fact most of the player feedback is contradicted by other player feedback, therefore no matter what is done at least one group is going to be upset. Or the fans are just too inconsistent,

FFXIII-2: Not enough Lightning, they made me think that Lightning was the main character and she should have been.

LR:FFXIII: They're shoving Lightning down our throats
#58chocolatesodaPosted 1/20/2013 2:35:09 PM
chaosflame108 posted...

And that is why you should take the comments of the haters (namely Vek) with a grain of salt.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI
#59TorgoForeverPosted 1/20/2013 2:43:42 PM
chocolatesoda posted...
chaosflame108 posted...

And that is why you should take the comments of the haters (namely Vek) with a grain of salt.

Going on the exact opposite of an extreme is an equally poor choice.
---
MAXIMUM OVEREXPOSITION: http://imgur.com/p8VeC7h
oFFiciAL ToRgO(pOn), wAKaMoToRcyClE. YoR, and tOMmy wiSEaU oF tHE qUIttinG RETurneRS
#60chocolatesodaPosted 1/20/2013 2:50:49 PM
TorgoForever posted...
chocolatesoda posted...
chaosflame108 posted...

Going on the exact opposite of an extreme is an equally poor choice.

Maybe, but it is fun.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI