To those who played oldschool FFs AFTER the recent ones...

#1LenneValkiryePosted 1/21/2013 4:53:42 AM
...do you think they had better storytelling?
#2j-fielding95Posted 1/21/2013 5:01:42 AM
Depends which you are talking about, X did, but if you're talking about I-VI then no.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#3RomangeloPosted 1/21/2013 5:03:53 AM
LOL NO

Toriyama brought the series to the right direction with the cinematic storytelling.

a lot of people hate it but it's a lot better than those text dialogue in the old days. they just don't want to admit the truth cuz the truth hurt.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#4KalirianPosted 1/21/2013 5:08:01 AM
Better way to tell story? Yes for XII, XIII was so badly told it's sad.
The story itself better? Hell no.
#5kupo1705Posted 1/21/2013 5:17:13 AM
All of them had better storytelling than XIII.
#6LenneValkirye(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 6:09:31 AM
I started with an oldschool FF myself, which was FFVI.
I have a soft spot for it, but in all honesty I can't say it excels in storytelling. And I always thought Kefka was a watered down version of the Joker.

The PSX FFs all suffer from the same problem: at roughly 75% of the plot, it's like the writers stopped caring about it. Overall they're decent, though.

FFX was a disaster in my opinion. I actually consider FFX-2 to have the better plot, even though it was less "epic".

FF, FFII and FFIII have practially no plot. FFIV is way too cliche to be taken seriously.
FFV is an interesting case. It does have a cliche plot, the characters are mostly flat and not developed but it doesn't take itself seriously so it's mildly entertaining.

FFXII is the first FF that I actually took seriously, mainly because it wasn't the overused "save world" crap.

FFXIII has overall the most solid plot in the series IMO. FFXIII-2 is slightly worse in that regard but still good.

Overall, to me it seems that the storytelling has been improving over time. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that way.
#7dils-dPosted 1/21/2013 6:13:34 AM
Storytelling? Most likely.
Story? Aww hell to the no.
---
Though I may look the same way to you
Underneath there is somebody new
#8RX0megaPosted 1/21/2013 6:17:08 AM
VI, IX, X, and XII yes. Everything else, no.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
#9King_Shortt_IXPosted 1/21/2013 6:24:47 AM
Well all of then but VIII had better story telling and story than XIII, but really FF has never really been known for superb stories.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#10The_CiscoPosted 1/21/2013 6:32:21 AM
LenneValkirye posted...

FFXIII has overall the most solid plot in the series IMO. FFXIII-2 is slightly worse in that regard but still good.

Overall, to me it seems that the storytelling has been improving over time. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that way.

Most of the true long FF fans think the same. The haters pretend too but we all know deep down they actually started with in 7-12 and never got over that specific title. It was just like during the days when FF7 was just new, we had the same "oh bad story/character/game.. square leaving the roots" complaints before. Now. the babies of the PS era grew up into a generation that loves goths.