First FF, favorite FF, opinion on the XIII series, opinion on SE as of current

#381mahroflcopterPosted 1/21/2013 8:10:29 PM(edited)
First FF: Final Fantasy XIII (technically you could say X since I played about an hour... though I had no idea it was Final Fantasy X at the time)

Favorite FF: That I've played (aka not many)? Final Fantasy XIII.

Opinion of the XIII series:

XIII: The story was brimming with potential and by all rights should have been a classic. Unfortunately, it was mishandled at every turn and by the end what we got was a story that had its charms but was ultimately underwhelming in all areas topped off with an ending that completely imploded on itself. It could have, and should have, been great. But alas, it is subpar at best when taken into consideration of what it could have been.

The gameplay, on the otherhand, is excellent... well, when it finally takes the training wheels off that is. The graphics were superb, the art direction was excellent, the soundtrack was above average, the character designs were very good, the set pieces were breathtaking (from futuristic highways to lakes of crystal to vast grasslands of an alien world to massive airships all the way to the vast city of Eden and the trippy Ophan's Cradle), and the voice acting was extremely well done.

I could go on all day about what I feel Final Fantasy XIII did wrong and what they could improve on, but I'm sure it would be nothing anyone hasn't heard before a million times. Needless to say, I have my fair share of criticisms. But, at the end of the day, it provided me with an experience I had never had from a video game before and left a lasting impression... and that's more than I can say for 99% of current day games.

XIII-2: The less I say, the better. If you liked it, more power to you and enjoy.

LR: Even if only half of the concepts shown off pan out, I'll be one happy camper. Despite the fact that I think that all but one of Lightning's new outfits looks absolutely ridiculous, I still have to say that I'm loving the idea of the customization (which also extends weapons, accessories, etc); I'm loving the increased environmental interactivity; the Day and Night cycle and how NPC's interact with it sounds intriguing; the overhauled battle system sounds very interesting; the increased freedom to explore is always appreciated; the readdition of shops, restaurants, and inns sounds good; the implementation of stealth and multiple ways to complete an objective sounds excellent... basically everything sounds excellent. With exception to the stupid timer, of course.

What I think of Square Enix:

Well, if they keep producing games like Just Cause 2 and Dues Ex Human Revolution on top of creating innovative titles like Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII with more regularity as well as finish and give us the titles they promised us years ago (like Final Fantasy Versus XIII) and start really branching out into all genres across the board while creating new IPs... IF that happens, I'll have very few complaints.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#382DViper97Posted 1/21/2013 8:12:25 PM(edited)
*Sorry for double post. Last post was already long.*

Opinion of the Current SE: Let's be real for a second here, FF Nation. Square, nor SE, have ever been perfect. SE has done some real, and profoundly stupid, -ish this gen. The latest being FF: All the Bravest. Kotic would be proud. I think everyone in the fanbase has, at one point or another, given their respective C-note on the matters of Type-0's localization issues and the long dev cycle for Versus XIII. Furthermore, it cannot be overstated just how much of an impact XIV bombing, back in '10, has had on the entire franchise, as well as SE itself. I'm still trying to understand just how the hell SE let such an obviously bad scenario play out. I had been wondering about this, prior to him leaving the company, but Tanaka's comments post-SE have REALLY made me wonder just what the bloody hell he was actually doing during XIV's development. Let's also not forget one of the biggest sources of SE's many problems this gen, Crystal Tools. The idea of having a centralized, in-house SDK for making all their software is an awesome idea. However, SE clearly dropped the ball on it's implementation and, I'm willing to guess, design. So much so, that for XIV, they've had to heavily modify it, followed by dropping it completely. So yeah, SE's effed up royal in more than a few ways the last few years.

However, let's be real for a second again. It hasn't all been bad. Out of the ashes and gloom of XIV, has arisen some good. For one, XIV is on track to get a second chance at life, via a VERY ambitious, VERY costly, and VERY risky undertaking by SE. What they are endeavoring to do with XIV takea a hell of a lot of chutzpa! Most importantly though, this whole debacle has put the spotlight on one of the most important rising stars at SE, Naoki Yoshida. I cannot overstate just how important a person Yoshi-P is, and should be, to SE and it's future. What's more, he's the most outspoken, communicative, straight-talking and visible employee Square or SE has ever had. Period.

As much flak as the FNC games get, Type-0 is one of SE's most wanted games for a reason. It's damn good. Proof that not everything SE puts out is crap. If the game sucked, the sheer level of ****ing and butthurt concerning it wouldn't exist. Same can be said of Bravely Default.

Even XI is FINALLY getting it's 5th expansion and just celebrated 10 years of service last year. Not bad for an MMO the omniscient fanbase loves to write off as a total failure. Taking after his former superior on XIV, XI's new director, Akihiko Matsui, is set to help bring about many big changes to the game. Most will likely see the game change a hell of a lot. IMO, for the better. They guy is definitely the most communicative director XI's ever had, something fans have wanted for ages now. Lastly, out of all the Japanese companies that have tried to partner up with/ acquire, western devs, SE's actually been one of the better ones. While not perfect, their acquisitions of have born some good fruit.

TL:DR?: Is SE perfect? No. Honestly, what company is? Are they doomed? No. Can they still make good games? Obviously. Can they regain their former glory? If people like Yoshi-P continue to take the reigns, yes. Hell, word is that his work on XIV has affected not just the devs of the game, but has inspired people company wide. I can only hope it continues to do so.
---
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here.
#383NewavePosted 1/21/2013 8:15:04 PM
FF, FFVII, garbage in every single way, they made their bed overflow with putrid manure and now they can lay down in it forever as they clearly deserve.
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#384RevenancedPosted 1/21/2013 8:27:58 PM
First: FF7

Favorite: FF8

Series Op: It's gone from good to mediocre to horrible. The last FF game I truly enjoyed was FFX. That's not say I havnt enjoyed FFXIII, but it seems to be a much lesser level of enjoyment. I gotta wonder why they keep making games from XIII, aside from the money.

SE Op: I've played enough mediocre Final Fantasy games that I've decided I'll no longer be brand loyal towards the series. I used to just buy the game assuming it will be good because between say FF6-FFX that was pretty much the case (for me). I keep hoping they will commit capital to relaunching series such as "Chrono" or trying to make a new flagship.

Ultimately I will still buy their games but I'll never assume it's gonna be good by virtue of being a FF or SE game. I wish they'd stop trying to "break the mold" with every game.
---
Currently playing: WoW Private server (Warsong 12x) - https://www.wow-one.com/
-- Xbox Live Gamertag: RevenanceSLC
#385DViper97Posted 1/21/2013 8:32:40 PM(edited)
mahroflcopter posted...
XIII-2: The less I say, the better. If you liked it, more power to you and enjoy.

Whoa. Wait. W-hat the...Hold the hell up. Having tact? Being polite? Expressing one's opinion without being an douche!? On the LR board, too!? Da frak is wrong with you!!? This is the Final *********in' Fantasy fanbase, bro. We don't pull that sort of ***--ish here!

Good day, sir/ madam!! /sarcasm
---
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here.
#386jaoman69Posted 1/21/2013 8:42:24 PM
7,9,failure,alright
#387CyrusVPosted 1/21/2013 8:46:35 PM
IV
VI
Below mediocre.
Don't really pay much attention to them any more.
#388CojiroseanPosted 1/21/2013 9:08:48 PM
FFX, FFVIII, FF13 was good & 13-2 was garbage, blinded by the belief that they can innovate AND make the series better. Just give us proper sequel to VIII or something
#389MoonlightJustPosted 1/21/2013 9:13:51 PM
DViper97 posted...

Opinion of the Current SE: Let's be real for a second here, FF Nation. Square, nor SE, have ever been perfect. SE has done some real, and profoundly stupid, -ish this gen. The latest being FF: All the Bravest. Kotic would be proud. I think everyone in the fanbase has, at one point or another, given their respective C-note on the matters of Type-0's localization issues and the long dev cycle for Versus XIII. Furthermore, it cannot be overstated just how much of an impact XIV bombing, back in '10, has had on the entire franchise, as well as SE itself. I'm still trying to understand just how the hell SE let such an obviously bad scenario play out. I had been wondering about this, prior to him leaving the company, but Tanaka's comments post-SE have REALLY made me wonder just what the bloody hell he was actually doing during XIV's development. Let's also not forget one of the biggest sources of SE's many problems this gen, Crystal Tools. The idea of having a centralized, in-house SDK for making all their software is an awesome idea. However, SE clearly dropped the ball on it's implementation and, I'm willing to guess, design. So much so, that for XIV, they've had to heavily modify it, followed by dropping it completely. So yeah, SE's effed up royal in more than a few ways the last few years.

However, let's be real for a second again. It hasn't all been bad. Out of the ashes and gloom of XIV, has arisen some good. For one, XIV is on track to get a second chance at life, via a VERY ambitious, VERY costly, and VERY risky undertaking by SE. What they are endeavoring to do with XIV takea a hell of a lot of chutzpa! Most importantly though, this whole debacle has put the spotlight on one of the most important rising stars at SE, Naoki Yoshida. I cannot overstate just how important a person Yoshi-P is, and should be, to SE and it's future. What's more, he's the most outspoken, communicative, straight-talking and visible employee Square or SE has ever had. Period.

As much flak as the FNC games get, Type-0 is one of SE's most wanted games for a reason. It's damn good. Proof that not everything SE puts out is crap. If the game sucked, the sheer level of ****ing and butthurt concerning it wouldn't exist. Same can be said of Bravely Default.

Even XI is FINALLY getting it's 5th expansion and just celebrated 10 years of service last year. Not bad for an MMO the omniscient fanbase loves to write off as a total failure. Taking after his former superior on XIV, XI's new director, Akihiko Matsui, is set to help bring about many big changes to the game. Most will likely see the game change a hell of a lot. IMO, for the better. They guy is definitely the most communicative director XI's ever had, something fans have wanted for ages now. Lastly, out of all the Japanese companies that have tried to partner up with/ acquire, western devs, SE's actually been one of the better ones. While not perfect, their acquisitions of have born some good fruit.

TL:DR?: Is SE perfect? No. Honestly, what company is? Are they doomed? No. Can they still make good games? Obviously. Can they regain their former glory? If people like Yoshi-P continue to take the reigns, yes. Hell, word is that his work on XIV has affected not just the devs of the game, but has inspired people company wide. I can only hope it continues to do so.

Uh....*Applauds* Very well said!
#390Arn544Posted 1/21/2013 9:28:14 PM
DViper97 posted...

(Had to delete much of quote to make the post fit)

We have absolutely no evidence XIV is going to be good, in fact for every step forward it's taken it has taken a step backwards. The original version had bugs, ridiculous lag and a horrible UI, programming they could do nothing with. But for every flaw it had potential, certain parts were a lot of fun, now it's become a button mashing WoW clone and is way over casualized to ever be fun for more than a week. If they had redesigned the game to it's original version but added a lot of content and fixed it's UI it would have been a good game. They even went the direction of giving 2.0 cartoon graphics...

You can get to the max level in 2 days on XIV now, that's not good game design on any level. speaking of XI it was ruined years ago and there is no saving it. It used to take a year to get 1 class to endgame, it was 1 of the most hard core games on the market, now you can get to lv 99 in a week so all the progress made by anybody was whiped out. SE cheated it's fan base big time.

I personally don't like anything there company does anymore, they need to fire about 90% of the company and get FF's creator back as the company's president. Squaresoft was full of men inspired by star wars, they wanted to create the next story of that quality, now all they make are DBZ-esque animes, I don't even want type 0 or versus here, based off everything they've done since the merger I'm certain they would just be more of the same.

It's more than not giving the fan's what they want, their problem is a fundamental design philosophy, they have the wrong image of what a high quality game is, or FF for that matter. Only a fraction of the people who made Squaresoft a legendary company remains, and they have absolutely no idea how to make a good game.