First FF, favorite FF, opinion on the XIII series, opinion on SE as of current

#401yellowpikminboyPosted 1/21/2013 10:09:13 PM
Warning, this post will contain minor and major spoilers. I have covered up the spoilers with spoiler tags, but I thing I remember seeing that they can be turned off. You have been warned.

First FF: X
I hate this game. A lot. I can't figure out why exactly I ended up feeling all I'm about to mention, but everything about the game puts me off, except Auron. The battle system is fine I guess, its normal turnbased. But in FFX I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if I was underlevel'd or was just taking the wrong paths on the sphere grid, but it seemed like enemies did way too much damage.

The minigames got very annoying too, especially Blitzball. If it was only for sidequest purposes, yeah, sure. But main story? Come on. The game even tries to make you feel bad when you lose. And the lightning in the Thunderplains game. Again, fine if dodging bolts was optional, but I think I remember them causing damage. These failed to engage me or give me enjoyment, and are a bad spot in my eyes, even if they're so minor.

The characters, excluding Auron and his badassness sucked. This sums it up: youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

And yes, I know it is purposefully forced. It is still the worst scene in the entire game.

In short; Nothing about the game feels right. The only reason I ended up beating it was because I used a cheat code for easy levels and items after suffering through hours of boredom. Even then, able to power through the game because I was many time stronger than I should be, it was still a gigantic chore. Oh, and the impossible to lose "final battle" was very annoying and long.

Favorite FF: VI

Even today, this game (along with IV) is amazing. Great story with wonderful characters and a fun battle system. The music is also superb, with one of the most epic final boss themes to ever be created to go along with one of the most epic boss battles.

The battle system is a blast to play, and has a very wide variety of characters, all of which have some sort of use. From Gao with his broken copy move, to Realm with her game breaking sketch move. (no, this actually breaks the game as a glitch, not makes it easy from being powerful) The system is rich and rewarding as you fight along the story.

Speaking of characters, they are pretty much all well developed. Throughout the game you find little hints about one character or go through an event that shows off the past of a character. Sometimes just stopping at an inn will cause some backstory to take place. It has a good spread, and is just fantastic. Then we come to the best villain of the series; Kefka. That laugh of his is spine tingling. Kefka cares not for ruling, or finding riches, he just wishes to destroy. He poisons a river and causes an entire town to die, except for Cyan! Even further, Kefka backstabs the emperor, moves the statues out of alignment, and destroys the entire world before becoming a god himself! And at the end of the game, the world is still destroyed! How people think that Sephiroth has done better is beyond me.

In short, there is so much about FF6 that makes me love the game, and I wish for more that good.

Three XII games, really? Honestly, this was not needed. XII, like 10, was a chore for me to beat. Final Hallway just bored me as I continued. It wasn't quite press X to win, but the battle system lost me quickly. And the whole "party leader must live" thing is bull, when you probably have the biggest chance of dying.

For XII-2, I've heard good things about it, but I haven't played it to judge for myself.

XII-3, however, looks pretty good. The battle system looks many times better than XII-1.

For SE as a whole, they could be doing a lot worse. And if they port Bravely Default, they gain points in my book.
---
You know that game I never played? That one?
10/10, GoTY and Best (insert genre here).
#402rkenshin13Posted 1/21/2013 10:21:23 PM
First was VII. My favorite is hmmm... Well, it's close between IX and XII(just because of Fran).

I just don't like how they keep coming out with more sequels to XIII and don't release a completely new story with Final Fantasy. Who decided more Lightning is what fans want to see? I want to see more Fang and hell, they could give her a ragnarok transformation. My favorite part of XIII is what Fang looked like after she transformed, female muscles FTW!
---
GT:RPGamer13
PSN: RPGamer13
#403SyserinPosted 1/21/2013 10:46:43 PM
All these people that use like, thirteen, and battle system in the same sentence either like watching paint dry or like chewing nails.
#404DanahellPosted 1/21/2013 11:07:18 PM
All these people that use like, thirteen, and battle system in the same sentence either like watching paint dry or like chewing nails.

More like anyone who use Final Fantasy and battle system in the same sentence, because to be honest, FF in general doesn't have the most exciting battle systems.
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
#405Very_SnappyPosted 1/21/2013 11:12:34 PM
First Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy

Favorite Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VI

Opinion of the Final Fantasy XIII Series - XIII was great, haven't put much time into XIII-2 yet

Opinion of the Square-Enix current - Still making great games and people are still whining because they're not enough like [VI, VII, X, or whatever game they started with]
---
My gaming blog: http://danongames.wordpress.com
#406Ah04385Posted 1/21/2013 11:23:24 PM
First three I played: FFVIII,FFVII, and FFIX
Favorites:FFVIII,FFVII,FFV,FFX
Least favorites:FFXIII,FFIX
No matter what anybody says nobody will convince that IX is a good game. I wish I could get my $10 back. I had to force myself to play it. Only other FF game I had to force myself to play was FFXIII and that was so bad I don't even want to touch FFXIII-2. I think they should stop milking FFXIII and start making new games. I used to like toriyama because I love FFX but not anymore.
#407ivanhellsingPosted 1/21/2013 11:26:37 PM
FFX , FFVI , that game should burn in hell with that terrible sequel and toriyama too, bunch of idiots who dosnt know how to make business with the west and making the worst choices for that
---
White FC: 4428-0185-7278
Black 2 FC : 0992-0835-6808
#408epyon45Posted 1/21/2013 11:43:21 PM
First FF: I
Favorite FF: IX
On XIII: Average, overstayed its welcome.
Current SE: Focused on short term earnings without regard to its reputation, the quality of its brands or future as a company.
---
Buy Ni no Kuni for great justice!
#409MoonlightJustPosted 1/21/2013 11:47:21 PM
Very_Snappy posted...
First Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy

Favorite Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VI

Opinion of the Final Fantasy XIII Series - XIII was great, haven't put much time into XIII-2 yet

Opinion of the Square-Enix current - Still making great games and people are still whining because they're not enough like [VI, VII, X, or whatever game they started with]

Alternatively, people are unhappy because the quality of games have gone down. Imagine that! People with a different opinion then you! Oh but its easier for you just to call people whiners, right? Even though these questions had NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.
#410cb52211Posted 1/21/2013 11:47:40 PM
Started bad and got worse
Instead of trying to emulate the talent of people who left the company, why not utilize the talent that you have left to create something amazing like you used to? Because relying on nostalgia and brand recognition alone is getting old, and I'm going elsewhere for my JRPG fix.