First FF, favorite FF, opinion on the XIII series, opinion on SE as of current

#51ExtremeLightPosted 1/21/2013 10:33:29 AM
HeyItsZant posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
HeyItsZant posted...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Aster_Protoflorian

Oh... lmao. I didn't think I use the Syn/Sab till like I met Bart.

Really? You never buffed yourself up before Chapter 9?

Actually I probably did with the Edilons because that how you beat them but I didn't put any special focus in them.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#52HeyItsZantPosted 1/21/2013 10:34:18 AM
ExtremeLight posted...
HeyItsZant posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
HeyItsZant posted...

Actually I probably did with the Edilons because that how you beat them but I didn't put any special focus in them.

Yeah, the battle system was genius.
---
Click This Link For a Moment of Epicness:
http://tinyurl.com/9wap6t4 (Works every time!)
#53lazarus990Posted 1/21/2013 10:34:25 AM
First: FF1 - THE Final Fantasy
Fav: FF9 - Although I haven't finished FF7
XIII Series: Say wha? They're still kicking that around? Honestly, I haven't played anything since I started X-2 and my soul threw up.
SE: Got no beef with SE.

-I was an old-school gamer before old-school was cool.
#54Kagayaku08Posted 1/21/2013 10:34:32 AM
mystic quest (early 90s), 12, its teh same bs we've always gotten, its the same bs we've always gotten.
---
nobody owes you anything but a roll of the eye, a kick in the ass, and gaffaw at how much you suck
#55dils-d(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 10:37:14 AM
HeyItsZant posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
HeyItsZant posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
HeyItsZant posted...

Yeah, the battle system was genius.

I love it too, but I would have adored it if you could influence your allies actions, and customize your own battle menu. Just saying.
---
Though I may look the same way to you
Underneath there is somebody new
#56theofficefan99Posted 1/21/2013 10:42:06 AM(edited)
The only flaws I saw in XIII are a weak leveling up system and not realizing how to effectively use the battle system till like that Ark.

-Game is literally just running up and pressing X in Chapters 1 and 2. The real battle system does not even start until Chapter 3.

-Hope is terribly written. Not only is his story arc absolutely cheesy, campy, hammy, etc. etc., but his whole development is terrible as well. After his arc is "resolved," he fades into the background, and becomes the party's cheerleader. This goes for Sazh as well, who is barely part of the story after Chapter 8. The major issue I have with Hope, though, is how unrealistic his actions were after his mother's death. When he stopped and rested, he never shed tears whilst thinking about his mom, and he never felt like a real character as a result.

-Snow, while an admirable effort on trying to emulate an "American Hero," it fails miserably. He never develops as a character, his background his barely touched upon, and a vast majority of his lines are little more than "Hero!" and "Serah!" It makes him look like an empty, annoying character as a result.

-In battles, you have no way of telling your AI party members what to do. Want a party member to cast a certain spell? Too bad, you're going to just have to wait for it and pray that they'll cast it ASAP.

-Game is far too linear and restrictive. There are very few branching paths, there is no way to revisit a vast majority of areas, there are barely any NPC's to get acquainted with, no mini-games. In other words, there's nothing to break the tedium. You are quite literally just running and fighting the entirety of the game. You can explore in Gran Pulse, but again, there is nothing to do other than fight.

-Story suffers as a result of a terrible finale, underdeveloped villains, loose plot threads, contradictions, etc. etc.

-Quite a few scenes with cheesy writing. It's made even worse by the fact that there are some scenes that are well-written and flow well, and then there are others that contain nothing but cringe-worthy line after cringe-worthy line.

-Upgrading system is weak and quite obviously rushed. It's quite literally a guessing game, or trial-and-error. Not a very good system at all.

-The scenes that are completely in-game usually suffer from occasional framerate dips and stiff animations

-Pacing is just off. Chapters 1-10 are insanely linear and restrictive but with good pacing for the story, and then we have Chapter 11 which finally lets you explore (but doesn't have much in the way of gameplay variety), but the pacing is terrible, and then it goes back to how it was in Chapters 1-10 for the rest of the game.

-No replay value

That's about all I can think of for now. I like Final Fantasy XIII, but I know that it definitely has lots of flaws.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#57ZerothPowerPosted 1/21/2013 10:38:33 AM
First: FF4
Favorite: FF6
XIII: It had fun battles and interesting characters, but the story was a bit hard to follow. Never played the sequel, might get around to it someday.
SE: I used to think highly of them. Now? Just another game company making games. I dunno. No strong opinions anymore, I guess.
#58Shin_GallonPosted 1/21/2013 10:42:31 AM
FF1, FF6, XIII series is crap, SE hasn't made a good game since Kingdom Hearts II.
#59justdontaskPosted 1/21/2013 10:45:38 AM
7, 13, im glad its a trilogy, but idve been okay with just one game, and i dont really have an opinion on SE..... i buy games to have fun, not to support devs, which seems bass ackwards compared to most of the people on this site... hell, in all reality, i dont care at all who makes a game, as long as the game is fun...
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.
#60Dagger1087Posted 1/21/2013 10:47:36 AM
First FF was VII
Favorite is... A tough choice. Maybe IX, with IV and X as honorable mentions.
Opinion of FFXIII series: I find it enjoyable as a game series. The battle system is fantastic. And personally I thought the ending of FFXIII-2 was amazing. I like the game world better than, say, Ivalice. Enjoyable in general but doesn't feel like FF, the one that did was X.
Opinion of SE now: I borderline despise them now. They cannot commit to finishing ANYTHING. Where the F is Versus!? Where is FFX HD!? Why all the s***** handheld KH spinoffs!? You have lost me as a KH fan because there is no KH3. They say a lot of things, a lot of games 'in the works' but nothing ever gets finished. In fact, I still believe the existence of Versus is a huge prank. April Fool's!
---
PSN: XIII_Lightning