First FF, favorite FF, opinion on the XIII series, opinion on SE as of current

#61kratoscar2008Posted 1/21/2013 9:48:24 AM
FF8, FF5, Destroyed FF, Joined to the hall of shame with EA, Activision and Cashcom.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
#62BlueEye0Posted 1/21/2013 9:48:51 AM
FF1(GBA version)
FFIX
It's good, it's not without it's flaws and I wish SE didn't do XIII-2 and Lightning Returns but instead of b****ing and whining like everybody else and blowing things out of proportion I'm embracing them.
I'm looking at SE not just for Final Fantasy but for Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest and The World Ends with You and they are doing an amazing job with every game they do, I will say that they are making too much for them to handle tough and doing lots of long term projects with little time to do them.
#63TiaelPosted 1/21/2013 9:50:58 AM
First FF: FFI on NES

Favorite FF: Top 5 is FFVI, FFIX, FFV, FFXII and FFXI, not sure which is #1

Opinion on FFXIII series: Certainly not without their flaws and some of my least favorite FF games, but I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 enough and am interested in LR

Opinion on SE as of current: Less Toriyama, more info on Versus, localize Type-0, enough iOS cash-in crap.
DQ is a different beast since since SE really has no say in that series. Oh and localize BDFF as well.
---
Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcEGEGpFgRU
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#64ExtremeLightPosted 1/21/2013 9:53:14 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
The only flaws I saw in XIII are a weak leveling up system and not realizing how to effectively use the battle system till like that Ark.

-Game is literally just running up and pressing X in Chapters 1 and 2. The real battle system does not even start until Chapter 3.

-Hope is terribly written. Not only is his story arc absolutely cheesy, campy, hammy, etc. etc., but his whole development is terrible as well. After his arc is "resolved," he fades into the background, and becomes the party's cheerleader. This goes for Sazh as well, who is barely part of the story after Chapter 8. The major issue I have with Hope, though, is how unrealistic his actions were after his mother's death. When he stopped and rested, he never shed tears whilst thinking about his mom, and he never felt like a real character as a result.

-Snow, while an admirable effort on trying to emulate an "American Hero," it fails miserably. He never develops as a character, his background his barely touched upon, and a vast majority of his lines are little more than "Hero!" and "Serah!" It makes him look like an empty, annoying character as a result.

-In battles, you have no way of telling your AI party members what to do. Want a party member to cast a certain spell? Too bad, you're going to just have to wait for it and pray that they'll cast it ASAP.

-Game is far too linear and restrictive. There are very few branching paths, there is no way to revisit a vast majority of areas, there are barely any NPC's to get acquainted with, no mini-games. In other words, there's nothing to break the tedium. You are quite literally just running and fighting the entirety of the game. You can explore in Gran Pulse, but again, there is nothing to do other than fight.

-Story suffers as a result of a terrible finale, underdeveloped villains, loose plot threads, contradictions, etc. etc.

-Quite a few scenes with cheesy writing. It's made even worse by the fact that there are some scenes that are well-written and flow well, and then there are others that contain nothing but cringe-worthy line after cringe-worthy line.

-Upgrading system is weak and quite obviously rushed. It's quite literally a guessing game, or trial-and-error. Not a very good system at all.

-The scenes that are completely in-game usually suffer from occasional framerate dips and stiff animations

-Pacing is just off. Chapters 1-10 are insanely linear and restrictive but with good pacing for the story, and then we have Chapter 11 which finally lets you explore (but doesn't have much in the way of gameplay variety), but the pacing is terrible, and then it goes back to how it was in Chapters 1-10 for the rest of the game.

-No replay value

That's about all I can think of for now. I like Final Fantasy XIII, but I know that it definitely has lots of flaws.

1.) Most games uses X...
2.) Hope is not your average American teenage boy for godsake am. Sazh is just underdevelopment. Trauma does different thing to people. Hope was filled with anger and grief instead of just sadness.
3.) Snow: I think that what they were aiming for to be honest. Why else would they make Noel tell him off in 13-2.
4.) Really? You would diss the battle system because you want your Al to cast thunder instead of Fire? Also Libra is designed to remedy that.
5.) I'll say it again. If you revisited Hope's home city, it would make the story nonsensical. Why would enemies of the state be allow to return to an angry mob? The linearity fitted the story.
6.)Bart was underdeveloped???
7.) You said few!
8.) Wow. Really. I thought the upgrade was quite useful.
9.) Eh doesn't bother me.
10-11.) Ha!
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#65GigagreymonPosted 1/21/2013 9:57:48 AM
VII; IX; never played; used to be better, but still alright
#66theofficefan99Posted 1/21/2013 10:05:22 AM
1.) Most games uses X...
2.) Hope is not your average American teenage boy for godsake am. Sazh is just underdevelopment. Trauma does different thing to people. Hope was filled with anger and grief instead of just sadness.
3.) Snow: I think that what they were aiming for to be honest. Why else would they make Noel tell him off in 13-2.
4.) Really? You would diss the battle system because you want your Al to cast thunder instead of Fire? Also Libra is designed to remedy that.
5.) I'll say it again. If you revisited Hope's home city, it would make the story nonsensical. Why would enemies of the state be allow to return to an angry mob? The linearity fitted the story.
7.) You said few!
10-11.) Ha!

1) That's not my point. My point is that you are literally doing nothing other than walking up and pressing X. You don't even have to think in the first two chapters. The enemies to barely any damage, potions pretty much completely heal the whole party, and it's like this for 2-3 hours. It's a very off-putting introduction.
2) That's your argument? That he's not a typical human? Since, y'know, I was under the impression that everyone, not just Americans grieve over their parents' death (unless they hated them, of course). This wasn't even a form of grieving. It was just terrible writing.
3) They realized that he was a badly written character so they had Noel insult him in XIII-2, of course. Why would they intentionally write a badly-written and annoying character in a mainline Final Fantasy title?
4) No, Libra does not remedy that. If I want Fang or someone else to cast Poison on an enemy or boss, I'm going to have to wait. There are quite a few times where casting status effects on enemies is helpful, and you just have to wait and hope that they cast what you want to. This is a legitimate flaw.
5) It's called disguises. And they could have easily added reasons to go back to previous locations. Optional areas, bosses, Eidolons (this would work on Gran Pulse), etc. etc. And considering that gameplay time =/= time in story, their brands wouldn't be affected.
6) I said in another topic today (or was it this one?) that the villains are underdeveloped minus Bart. I think Bart is a great villain. It's Cid, Yaag and Jihl that I have a problem with.
7) I said "quite a few," which implies that there are a good amount. Cheesy scenes are cheesy scenes, and they're inexcusable in a serious story such as this one. Especially when the game's story is centered around the main characters.
8) It's useful, but it's poorly designed. It is a guessing game.
9) Still a flaw
10-11) Ha? Do you think that magically makes them not flaws anymore?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#67MHGALEPosted 1/21/2013 10:05:40 AM
XII, XII, Not a fan of XIII-2 I did enjoy the first one though, and **** those money grubbing **** asses.
---
SMT IV 2013! BELIEVE!
#68Lelouch71Posted 1/21/2013 10:07:48 AM
First FF: FFVIII

Favorite FF: FFIX

Opinion on the XIII Series: I enjoy it

Opinion on SE as of current: The FF fanbase sucks. The KH fanbase are creepy. I have no opinion on the DQ fanbase. SE needs to restructure and start building up their younger talent. Nomura and Toriyama needs to take a step back. SE does have problem with their management of games. Otherwise I have no beef with SE.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#69dils-d(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 10:07:58 AM
ExtremeLight posted...

The problem is that it's mostly out of the player's hands what the AI characters does. Given that they most often make the right decisions takes a toll to the difficulty. I'd rather we'd have more abilities, a higher control of our AI allies (either through Gambits or Leader Change or something. Since we don't have to actually watch the player attack, we could use that time to input the other characters' abilities.) and a higher difficulty to force the player to pay attention.

They are outlaws, they don't need to be "allowed" to do anything. Besides, even if it would have been odd I'm sure a lot of people would have appreciated the possibility.

Only at the parts of the game when you could start farming effectively.
---
Though I may look the same way to you
Underneath there is somebody new
#70justdontaskPosted 1/21/2013 10:08:37 AM
ExtremeLight posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
words .

1.) Most games uses X...
7.) You said few!
10-11.) Ha!

thanks for this... im tired of arguing with people like him... however, he did make a good point with auto battle... the AI for it is incredibly stupid even after Libra, and only controlling one character is incredibly stupid... your teammates will use spells and abilities that do 1/5 damage, instead of 1/2 simply because the word "weakness" is there... or theyll rotate between 2x and normal damage...

also, Hope has a pretty manly speech at the end of chapter 10, and Sazh doubles as the comic relief character and a relatable person... he just wants his son back...
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.