First FF, favorite FF, opinion on the XIII series, opinion on SE as of current

#71Siara_SedaiPosted 1/21/2013 11:09:22 AM
First FF:
Legends III

Favorite FF:
VI

Opinion on the XIII series:
A lot like Star Wars Episode I; a disappointment of JarJarbinxian magnitude. XIII-2 was a baby-step in the right direction, but not good enough (due to the spotty dialogue and Quick-Time Events). LR looks to be a giant leap in the wrong direction again, even worse a misstep than XIV.

Opinion on SE as of current:
Becoming more like Zynga everyday.
HOWEVER -
Final Fantasy Dimensions is the first ray of light I've seen in their Pandora's Box in years.
---
That world are square.
#72rokkumanPosted 1/21/2013 11:10:17 AM
FF1, FF6, FFXIII was decent, hated XIII-2, will play LR anyways.

SE is a shadow of it's former self.
---
"Ninja Gaiden: So hard that it kills your friends" - Penny Arcade
#73LenneValkiryePosted 1/21/2013 11:15:03 AM(edited)
First FF: 6
Favorite FF: 8 and 13
Opinion on the FFXIII series: positive
Opinion on SE as of current: the main offline series (+ direct sequels) is improving with each new game, everything else ranges from bad (recent KH titles, Theathrythm) to utterly terrible (FF14, FF: ATB).
They need to go back focusing on what they do best. Hurry up and start working on FF15!
#74RikkettikPosted 1/21/2013 11:13:51 AM
- FFX
- FFXIII-2
- I ultimately ended up liking XIII more than I think I would. The first time I stopped playing after three or four hours, didn't touch the game for months afterwards until I finally decided that I should give the game one more chance, if only because it would be a complete waste of 60 bucks otherwise. It still took me a while to get into the game, but I really started to like the story from Chapter 7 and the game finally showed how much fun the battle system could be during Chapter 9. The remaining chapters were a blast to play through.

XIII-2 is somewhat of a mixed bag, even though I listed it as my favorite Final Fantasy. The battle system is excellent, the game gives you complete control over it almost immediately and both Serah, Noel and Mog were pretty good characters in their own right. The story wasn't as... streamlined... as FFXIII's story was, though, but I guess that's the sacrifice the developers had to make to decrease the linearity of the game. The game also showed that the whole development process was rather short for a Final Fantasy game. I know this sounds abstract, but the game somehow missed that typical Final Fantasy polish.

I don't know what they're going to do with Lightning Returns; from what I saw in the trailer, I'm not wild about it yet. But ultimately I like the XIII trilogy, even though I feel both XIII-2 and Lightning Returns weren't necessary, in the way that XIII was a fine game on its own and each character had their story arc completed. That whole time travel thing and Lightning getting abducted by Etro felt a bit contrived, honestly. But they still made a pretty good game out of it, so I guess it worked out in the end.

- Aside from creating sequels that weren't all that necessary and recently releasing a highly dubious "game" in the form of All the Bravest, I don't think the company is doing that bad. I respect their drive to keep developing the franchise instead of keeping everything the same and letting it grow stale. And while All the Bravest is bad, it's just an iOS game, the equivalent of a cheap flash game ten years ago. It would be different if they pulled a stunt like this with an actual handheld or console game.

The company catches a lot of flak on the internet these days, but to keep things in perspective: the internet wasn't around when IV or VII were released, at least not in its current form. There wasn't an internet culture centered around voicing your opinion in the most vocal and harsh way possible. Looking back on life ten to twenty years ago, it makes you wonder who changed the most: Square-Enix or us, the consumers.
#75ExtremeLightPosted 1/21/2013 11:17:53 AM
justdontask posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
words .

1.) Most games uses X...
2.) Hope is not your average American teenage boy for godsake am. Sazh is just underdevelopment. Trauma does different thing to people. Hope was filled with anger and grief instead of just sadness.
3.) Snow: I think that what they were aiming for to be honest. Why else would they make Noel tell him off in 13-2.
4.) Really? You would diss the battle system because you want your Al to cast thunder instead of Fire? Also Libra is designed to remedy that.
5.) I'll say it again. If you revisited Hope's home city, it would make the story nonsensical. Why would enemies of the state be allow to return to an angry mob? The linearity fitted the story.
6.)Bart was underdeveloped???
7.) You said few!
8.) Wow. Really. I thought the upgrade was quite useful.
9.) Eh doesn't bother me.
10-11.) Ha!

thanks for this... im tired of arguing with people like him... however, he did make a good point with auto battle... the AI for it is incredibly stupid even after Libra, and only controlling one character is incredibly stupid... your teammates will use spells and abilities that do 1/5 damage, instead of 1/2 simply because the word "weakness" is there... or theyll rotate between 2x and normal damage...

also, Hope has a pretty manly speech at the end of chapter 10, and Sazh doubles as the comic relief character and a relatable person... he just wants his son back...

Wow. I guess now I know why some people don't like Kingdom Hearts...
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#76Violet_ShadowPosted 1/21/2013 11:24:53 AM
First FF: Final Fantasy(the original NES game)
Favorite FF: FFVIII(8)
Opinions on XIII 'series': Don't like FF 'series', they've done that with FFVII and I found it ridiculous. I liked FFXIII, I liked Noel in XIII-2, no interest in Lightning Returns.
Opinions on SE: I like the company as a whole, but I don't care for how they keep putting off Versus XIII. I would also, like so many others, really like to see remakes of FFVII(maybe it'll actually be good if they do the remake) and FFVIII(just needs voice-acting and upgraded graphics, imo).

--

Signed: ~The Violet Shadow, "Shadows never die, they merely fade into the darkness..."
#77roxas9001Posted 1/21/2013 11:25:18 AM
Lelouch71 posted...
First FF: FFVIII

Favorite FF: FFIX

Opinion on the XIII Series: I enjoy it

Opinion on SE as of current: The FF fanbase sucks. The KH fanbase are creepy. I have no opinion on the DQ fanbase. SE needs to restructure and start building up their younger talent. Nomura and Toriyama needs to take a step back. SE does have problem with their management of games. Otherwise I have no beef with SE.

We're the same
---
Not changing this until DmCrap flops.
I dislike 90% of the FF fanbase.
#78ADHDguitarPosted 1/21/2013 11:26:05 AM
First that I owned: XIII :P

Favorite: X

Opinion on XIII: Not that bad, but fan rage is justified.

Current SE: Not that bad.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#79Dr_FacerPosted 1/21/2013 11:26:06 AM
First: FF IV

Favorite: FF VI

The XIII series: Fantastic graphics and average music, everything else about them is crap.

Opinion on SE: Slightly out of touch, but they sure know how to make money.
#80ExtremeLightPosted 1/21/2013 11:27:26 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
1.) Most games uses X...
2.) Hope is not your average American teenage boy for godsake am. Sazh is just underdevelopment. Trauma does different thing to people. Hope was filled with anger and grief instead of just sadness.
3.) Snow: I think that what they were aiming for to be honest. Why else would they make Noel tell him off in 13-2.
4.) Really? You would diss the battle system because you want your Al to cast thunder instead of Fire? Also Libra is designed to remedy that.
5.) I'll say it again. If you revisited Hope's home city, it would make the story nonsensical. Why would enemies of the state be allow to return to an angry mob? The linearity fitted the story.
6.)Bart was underdeveloped???
7.) You said few!
8.) Wow. Really. I thought the upgrade was quite useful.
9.) Eh doesn't bother me.
10-11.) Ha!

1) That's not my point. My point is that you are literally doing nothing other than walking up and pressing X. You don't even have to think in the first two chapters. The enemies to barely any damage, potions pretty much completely heal the whole party, and it's like this for 2-3 hours. It's a very off-putting introduction. Isn't that what you pretty much do in FFXII, KH, etc.?
2) That's your argument? That he's not a typical human? Since, y'know, I was under the impression that everyone, not just Americans grieve over their parents' death (unless they hated them, of course). This wasn't even a form of grieving. It was just terrible writing. Yawn
3) They realized that he was a badly written character so they had Noel insult him in XIII-2, of course. Why would they intentionally write a badly-written and annoying character in a mainline Final Fantasy title? Comic Relief
4) No, Libra does not remedy that. If I want Fang or someone else to cast Poison on an enemy or boss, I'm going to have to wait. There are quite a few times where casting status effects on enemies is helpful, and you just have to wait and hope that they cast what you want to. This is a legitimate flaw. Well in that case yes it is screwed up but the game isn't even that hard.
5) It's called disguises. And they could have easily added reasons to go back to previous locations. Optional areas, bosses, Eidolons (this would work on Gran Pulse), etc. etc. And considering that gameplay time =/= time in story, their brands wouldn't be affected.Disguises what? Also I'm sure gameplay would somewhat be part of the story since in a since they did explore it. Why would Eidolons work in XIII? Every character already had them.
6) I said in another topic today (or was it this one?) that the villains are underdeveloped minus Bart. I think Bart is a great villain. It's Cid, Yaag and Jihl that I have a problem with. Cid, Yaag and Jihl weren't really villains. They thought they were protecting the people. Antagonists yes.
7) I said "quite a few," which implies that there are a good amount. Cheesy scenes are cheesy scenes, and they're inexcusable in a serious story such as this one. Especially when the game's story is centered around the main characters. Yawn. Too bad if you think there are cheesy
8) It's useful, but it's poorly designed. It is a guessing game. So? I had to guess with mix to make what with Rikku's overdrive from FFX. I had to guess on the Clostier of trials in X. I had to guess in the Oreba's puzzles.
9) Still a flaw For you.
10-11) Ha? Do you think that magically makes them not flaws anymore?They're not

---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!