So I started playing FF VI...

#111kupo1705Posted 1/24/2013 1:07:28 AM
UnderratedGamer posted...
EscaSyra posted...
Cyan is the best character in VI.

100% agree. Though his Sword techs are trash.

All the abilities are trash, except for steal.
#112VanilleHopenPosted 1/24/2013 1:27:55 AM
I actually thought the combat system was the Weakest part of ffvi.. and was the Strongest part of ffxiii..

but i'm weird i guess..
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#113UnderratedGamerPosted 1/24/2013 1:30:07 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Disclaimer: there will be spoilers in this post.
Also, FFVI was my first FF and it's in my top 5, so I'll be objective.

The main problem I have with FFVI is its excessively large cast.
Half of it is made of characters who have no plot relevance and the other half suffers because of them.

Let's take Terra and forget for a minute the brutal treatment of her character in Dissidia.

The WoR happens.

The result is this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Chickification

This is where Terra's character gets utterly destroyed. This is also why in Dissidia she's a spineless wimp who needs male support (from Onion Knight, Cloud and Vaan, just to humiliate her even more) to be able to stand on her feet.

Thankfully she eventually snaps from her pitiful situation thanks to the power of love and... and that's it. Her character development and plot relevance stop there until the very end of the game.

Similiar arguments can be made for the other characters who stop having any real plot relevance in WoR, such as Sabin.

Then we have a bunch of filler characters who really don't have any reason to be there. Gau? Umaro? Gogo? Relm?

This is where FFVI's narrative problems become obvious: it relies on very, very weak connections between non-essential characters in order to make the plot move forward.

Celes and Locke seem to be the only characters who have consistent good writing for the entire game.

I have to break up your arguments to just get to everything.

First of all, why in the hell are you even mentioning Dissidia? Dissidia does not decide what moods and actions Terra executes in the original game. If you're are going to pity a game, do it solely to the game only. No other game is canon to FF6 besides itself.

Do you realize how character development works? Terra isn't supposed to be happy-go-lucky when millions of citizens (story-wise not technical) just died from a genocidal nihilist. She winds up in Mobliz where there are children without parents trying to survive. It's pretty usual and reasonable in this state for her to comfort the kids. Everyone tells her that she is needed to fight Kefka. But seeing as how it ended up at the FC, she didn't want to. She needed to be coerced into it by Phunbaba. She was put up to the task by having to defend the people that she had ultimately cared for. That is DAMN good development and don't see your view in it.

Shadow was a drone. He didn't know anything except fighting. Him running away from every sort of human emotion caused him to realize his ability--and curse at the same time. Shadow had much to do with the game. He strays from Relm and is used only for killing. That's why in the end, he couldn't finish his final goal and tell Relm that he was a cowardly father. For years he had built up resistance to emotion. This was why he was eager to fight Kefka. Pure physical fighting was his only use.

Strago was one of the only magic users on the planet so I'm damn sure that he had good reasons to take out the GOD of magic that destroyed the world.

As for Sabin...him and Edgar go hand and hand. Kefka destroyed Edgar's castle. Sabin is his brother. So is Sabin going to just sit back and do nothing? Why would he do that? He fled from his honor when Edgar became King and his father died. Why would he suddenly abandon his brother? That reason along with your argument doesn't shed anything on his scenario.

In the meantime, Snow is doing being an ass of a hero and going in with his pride before his brain. That's why Lightning punches him and hates him through much of the game. It's sad when characters think each other are annoying. Pitiful game.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#114UnderratedGamerPosted 1/24/2013 1:35:38 AM(edited)
kupo1705 posted...
EscaSyra posted...

Not all of them. Rage and Blitz are some of the most useful one's. Mime too :D
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#115kupo1705Posted 1/24/2013 1:34:18 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Disclaimer: there will be spoilers in this post.
Also, FFVI was my first FF and it's in my top 5, so I'll be objective.

The main problem I have with FFVI is its excessively large cast.
Half of it is made of characters who have no plot relevance and the other half suffers because of them.

Let's take Terra and forget for a minute the brutal treatment of her character in Dissidia.

The WoR happens.

The result is this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Chickification

This is where Terra's character gets utterly destroyed. This is also why in Dissidia she's a spineless wimp who needs male support (from Onion Knight, Cloud and Vaan, just to humiliate her even more) to be able to stand on her feet.

Thankfully she eventually snaps from her pitiful situation thanks to the power of love and... and that's it. Her character development and plot relevance stop there until the very end of the game.

Similiar arguments can be made for the other characters who stop having any real plot relevance in WoR, such as Sabin.

Then we have a bunch of filler characters who really don't have any reason to be there. Gau? Umaro? Gogo? Relm?

This is where FFVI's narrative problems become obvious: it relies on very, very weak connections between non-essential characters in order to make the plot move forward.

Celes and Locke seem to be the only characters who have consistent good writing for the entire game.

I have to break up your arguments to just get to everything.

First of all, why in the hell are you even mentioning Dissidia? Dissidia does not decide what moods and actions Terra executes in the original game. If you're are going to pity a game, do it solely to the game only. No other game is canon to FF6 besides itself.

Do you realize how character development works? Terra isn't supposed to be happy-go-lucky when millions of citizens (story-wise not technical) just died from a genocidal nihilist. She winds up in Mobliz where there are children without parents trying to survive. It's pretty usual and reasonable in this state for her to comfort the kids. Everyone tells her that she is needed to fight Kefka. But seeing as how it ended up at the FC, she didn't want to. She needed to be coerced into it by Phunbaba. She was put up to the task by having to defend the people that she had ultimately cared for. That is DAMN good development and don't see your view in it.

Shadow was a drone. He didn't know anything except fighting. Him running away from every sort of human emotion caused him to realize his ability--and curse at the same time. Shadow had much to do with the game. He strays from Relm and is used only for killing. That's why in the end, he couldn't finish his final goal and tell Relm that he was a cowardly father. For years he had built up resistance to emotion. This was why he was eager to fight Kefka. Pure physical fighting was his only use.

Strago was one of the only magic users on the planet so I'm damn sure that he had good reasons to take out the GOD of magic that destroyed the world.

As for Sabin...him and Edgar go hand and hand. Kefka destroyed Edgar's castle. Sabin is his brother. So is Sabin going to just sit back and do nothing? Why would he do that? He fled from his honor when Edgar became King and his father died. Why would he suddenly abandon his brother? That reason along with your argument doesn't shed anything on his scenario.

In the meantime, Snow is doing being an ass of a hero and going in with his pride before his brain. That's why Lightning punches him and hates him through much of the game. It's sad when characters think each other are annoying. Pitiful game.

Don't waste your time on him.
#116kupo1705Posted 1/24/2013 1:37:10 AM
kupo1705 posted...
EscaSyra posted...

Not all of them. Rage and Blitz are some of the most useful one's.

Blitz is useless.
I don't know about Rage since I never use Gau.
#117UnderratedGamerPosted 1/24/2013 10:31:09 AM
kupo1705 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
EscaSyra posted...

Not all of them. Rage and Blitz are some of the most useful one's.

Blitz is useless.
I don't know about Rage since I never use Gau.

:/

Fire Dance and Bum Rush were pretty useful to me.
---
#118kupo1705Posted 1/24/2013 10:31:58 AM
:/

Fire Dance and Bum Rush were pretty useful to me.

Maybe at the start, but by the point you get Bum Rush it's obsolete.
#119hyro56(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 5:46:12 PM
What?

Tools is so useful. No love for Edgar?
---
Please feel free to correct me on my grammar and/or spelling. I appreciate your help.
#120TorgoForeverPosted 1/24/2013 5:55:24 PM
kupo1705 posted...
Don't waste your time on him.

*her
---
MAXIMUM OVEREXPOSITION: http://imgur.com/p8VeC7h
oFFiciAL ToRgO(pOn), wAKaMoToRcyClE. YoR, and tOMmy wiSEaU oF tHE qUIttinG RETurneRS