#71TorgoForeverPosted 1/23/2013 9:34:21 AM
kupo1705 posted...
shinigami_matt posted...
kupo1705 posted...
shinigami_matt posted...
hyro56 posted...
^LOL

Haters gonna Hate, I guess.

FF VI is just superior to the entire Lightning Saga in very way imaginable. I'm just sad so many fanboys are blind to the truth.

Wait, so VI had no faults at all? It was a perfect game? And you're calling other people fanboys........

I'm not seeing that anywhere in the post.

Don't need to. The person above explained what they felt were flaws in VI, and TC's only response was to go: LOL HATERZ GUNNA HATE.

The subtext was pretty clear.

That's because it was a really, really stupid post.
Not worthy of a decent reply.

And predictable at that.
---
MAXIMUM OVEREXPOSITION: http://imgur.com/p8VeC7h
oFFiciAL ToRgO(pOn), wAKaMoToRcyClE. YoR, and tOMmy wiSEaU oF tHE qUIttinG RETurneRS
#72EscaSyraPosted 1/23/2013 9:36:16 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Disclaimer: there will be spoilers in this post.
Also, FFVI was my first FF and it's in my top 5, so I'll be objective.

The main problem I have with FFVI is its excessively large cast.
Half of it is made of characters who have no plot relevance and the other half suffers because of them.

Let's take Terra and forget for a minute the brutal treatment of her character in Dissidia.
She's actually a pretty damn good character in WoB. She's cute, she's a competent fighter, she has just enough angst to emphatize her situation without being annoying and she gets just enough screentime to make the player get attached to her.

The WoR happens.

The result is this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Chickification

This is where Terra's character gets utterly destroyed. This is also why in Dissidia she's a spineless wimp who needs male support (from Onion Knight, Cloud and Vaan, just to humiliate her even more) to be able to stand on her feet.

Thankfully she eventually snaps from her pitiful situation thanks to the power of love and... and that's it. Her character development and plot relevance stop there until the very end of the game.

Similiar arguments can be made for the other characters who stop having any real plot relevance in WoR, such as Sabin.

Then we have a bunch of filler characters who really don't have any reason to be there. Gau? Umaro? Gogo? Relm?

Speaking of Relm, she's the quintessential satellite character: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SatelliteCharacter
Take Strago and Shadow out of the picture and her existance becomes entirely meaningless.
The funny thing is that both Strago and Shadow have no real plot relevance either!
Strago is a simple Mr. Exposition character at a specific point of the story (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MrExposition), while Shadow barely does anything other than pissing Kefka off at the end of WoB.

This is where FFVI's narrative problems become obvious: it relies on very, very weak connections between non-essential characters in order to make the plot move forward.

Celes and Locke seem to be the only characters who have consistent good writing for the entire game. In my eyes they're the real protagonists.

This game is exactly why I'm wary of RPGs with large playable casts.

I share some of the same complaints.

The cast was too large for everyone to get quality character development which was a shame.
#73hyro56(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 9:37:38 AM
Everything has its flaws. There will never be the perfect game for all audiences. However, the reality is that VI's mistakes are more forgivable then XIII's & XIII-2's mistakes. The good outweighs the bad.
---
Please feel free to correct me on my grammar and/or spelling. I appreciate your help.
#74kupo1705Posted 1/23/2013 9:38:19 AM
hyro56 posted...
Everything has its flaws. There will never be the perfect game for all audiences. However, the reality is that VI's mistakes are more forgivable then XIII's & XIII-2's mistakes. The good outweighs the bad.

Tetris has no flaws.
#75zodiac_swordPosted 1/23/2013 9:39:09 AM
kupo1705 posted...
hyro56 posted...

Tetris has no flaws.

Boring, Tedious.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#76EscaSyraPosted 1/23/2013 9:39:38 AM
hyro56 posted...

If that's the way you feel that's great.

It's not the way I feel.
#77shinigami_mattPosted 1/23/2013 9:40:07 AM
hyro56 posted...

A mistake is never forgivable. Shallow character development is a sin in RPG's. Especially since XIII doesn't get a free pass. Making too many characters just for the hell of it was a stupid design choice for VI.

You could argue VI as a whole could be more forgivable than XIII, sure.
---
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger
#78kupo1705Posted 1/23/2013 9:42:08 AM
zodiac_sword posted...
kupo1705 posted...
hyro56 posted...

Tetris has no flaws.

Boring, Tedious.

Be more specific.
#79EscaSyraPosted 1/23/2013 9:42:53 AM
VI isn't forgivable to me because I value characters > game play > story.

I only really enjoyed Cyan and Celes.

Setzer, Shadow, and Locke were okay.

The rest weren't that great.

Half of them didn't get the amount of character development I would have liked.
#80shinigami_mattPosted 1/23/2013 9:44:36 AM
EscaSyra posted...
VI isn't forgivable to me because I value characters > game play > story.

I only really enjoyed Cyan and Celes.

Setzer, Shadow, and Locke were okay.

The rest weren't that great.

Half of them didn't get the amount of character development I would have liked.

Agreed. It might not be a book, but I want to enjoy my characters. I'm stuck with them after all.
---
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger