FFXII was open world, with seamless battles and focused on exploration...

#11TruthPosted 1/23/2013 5:37:56 PM
Yet when it was released in 2006, there were FF fans that hated it.

7 years later...

The same people that hate FFXII are now wanting an open world FF, with seamless battles and more exploration. They are amazed at world scale, seamless battles and exploration of Xenoblade and the new Xeno for Wii U.

LOL! These people are a disgrace. They don't know what they want! When you get a JRPG that evolves the genre, you disregard it. Then when somebody else does the same thing years later, you say it's the future of JRPGs. What a joke!

You like that new Xeno for Wii U, do you? Well guess what, if you had accepted FFXII for what it was, we would be playing a mainline FF like that by now! Not the linear, cutscene-filled trash that is FFXIII.
#2creamncookiePosted 1/23/2013 5:40:39 PM
1Truth posted...
They are amazed at world scale, seamless battles and exploration of Xenoblade and the new Xeno for Wii U.

Only the Nintendo fanboys
#3MoonlightJustPosted 1/23/2013 5:42:54 PM
I actually never had a problem with the open world exploration of XII, one of the things I loved about it. And you can't confuse 'seamless battles' with 'engaging battle system'. It was to hands off. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED setting up my gambits to handle any situation, but once you hit a certain point your actual input in battle was close to nil.

I enjoyed XII. Enough to play back through it almost entirely when my saves were wiped out on two seperate occasions. But it did have its flaws.
#4TehAssasinPosted 1/23/2013 5:45:35 PM
What? I have always enjoyed FFXII when it first came out. I want SE to follow that similar approach but with some improvement. And they fixed quite a number of issues in IZJS.
#51Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 5:46:14 PM
creamncookie posted...
1Truth posted...
They are amazed at the world scale, seamless battles and exploration of Xenoblade and the new Xeno for Wii U.

Only the Nintendo fanboys

Pretty sure the majority of FF fans will admit that Xenoblade has shown the future of JRPGs. The funny thing is that the director of Xenoblade has already publicly admitted to Famitsu (before the game even came out) that he was inspired by the world scale and seamless battles of FFXII.

Basically, had we all accepted FFXII, Square Enix would not have backtracked to the style of FFX for FFXIII. In all honesty, we should be playing a mainline FF with a world as big as Skyrim by now, and with dubbing by Alexander O. Smith.
#6TorgoForeverPosted 1/23/2013 5:52:22 PM
Did anyone know upon initial release, The Shining was Razzie-Nominated? How about the existence the Oscar-winning hack Cecil DeMille?

Yeah, people learn stuff over time.
---
MAXIMUM OVEREXPOSITION: http://imgur.com/p8VeC7h
oFFiciAL ToRgO(pOn), wAKaMoToRcyClE. YoR, and tOMmy wiSEaU oF tHE qUIttinG RETurneRS
#7BlueDragmirePosted 1/23/2013 5:57:22 PM(edited)
TorgoForever posted...
Did anyone know upon initial release, The Shining was Razzie-Nominated? How about the existence the Oscar-winning hack Cecil DeMille?

What the heck was wrong with Cecil B. DeMille? He was an early director, nearly as prolific in sound as he was in the silent era. And he made some important lasting films, most famously the Ten Commandments. I mean, anybody who worked as a director from 1914 to 1956, over forty years, had to have some kind of talent.

Did you know that the actor who played Torgo seriously injured his legs with his prosthetics during the filming of Manos: the Hands of Fate, and because of those injuries, he became addicted to pain medication and eventually committed suicide?
---
The official monarch of every single board.
http://bluehighwind.blogspot.com/
#8naarosPosted 1/23/2013 5:56:35 PM
The stuff you described about FFXII were some of the things I actually liked about the game (mainly the world and exploration). However, the story bored me to tears which is why I'm not a huge fan of XII. I still like it, but it's lower down on my list of favorite FF games.
#9heartlesshero17Posted 1/23/2013 5:58:39 PM
MoonlightJust posted...
I actually never had a problem with the open world exploration of XII, one of the things I loved about it. And you can't confuse 'seamless battles' with 'engaging battle system'. It was to hands off. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED setting up my gambits to handle any situation, but once you hit a certain point your actual input in battle was close to nil.

I enjoyed XII. Enough to play back through it almost entirely when my saves were wiped out on two seperate occasions. But it did have its flaws.

I also loved FFXII. Something TC knows about me at this point I think. But I don't think Xenoblade is good cause its world is huge. Anything can be big. But I liked it cause its nicely designed. I loved many areas in that game. That marsh at night time was very memorable. Dragons Dogma is also huge, but I didn't like its world at all.
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#101Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 5:59:29 PM
TorgoForever posted...

OK, I'll give you that. However, these same people that have seen the light owe FFXII some respect and another playthrough. A lot of the things people say Xenoblade has done to evolve JRPGs have already been done by FFXII. They really need to reply FFXII with a new mind. Play it with the mindset of it being a JRPG version of Skyrim.

Also, Gambits are not mandatory for the party leader. Turn that **** off and play the game like KH, but with no jumping and using the ATB bar with customizable AI for Donald and Goofy. That's how I played it and that's what made it my fave FF battle system. The game does not force you to use Gambits on the party leader (or even on anyone). You have a choice, just like the choice you have of playing Skyrim in first person or third person.