FFXII was open world, with seamless battles and focused on exploration...

#191kupo1705Posted 1/30/2013 8:00:56 AM
Celes--Chere posted...
I agree. They spelled our names wrong though.

Boohoo.
#1921Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 3:29:42 PM
TheGreatPotato posted...
1Truth posted...

Your the one that brought up the comparison in the first place. It's your own logic that I'm basing off. Regardless, one thing is certain. Story and cutscenes are not gameplay. An open world to explore is.

You know what the main part of gameplay is? COMBAT. 10's combat stomps all over 12's offline MMO auto-mode.

So yes, your definitions are a complete failure.

The main part of gameplay is not combat. Does a puzzle game have combat? A racing game? No. The only genre that main gameplay aspect in combat is a fighting game like Street Fighter or Tekken.

Also, the main part of gameplay for an "Open World RPG" is exploration and freedom to do what you want and go where you want. You're also free to customize you characters how you want and play the battles how you want. FFXII does all of this, just like Skyrim does.

TheGreatPotato posted...
Well you are in minority, because X's combat has always received praise, while XII's has not.

I mean seriously, 12 plays like an offline, empty old MMO, complete with spell lag.

Edge Magazine, the harshest video game critic in existence, gave FFX a 6/10 but gave FFXII 9/10 and GOTY 2006. Also, the reason why there's a spell queue is due to the PS2 not being to handle loads of epic spells at once.

TheGreatPotato posted...
12 needs the HD remake, not 10. 10 is already a great game, while 12 demonstrates clearly what wasted potential is.

FFXII is a video game masterpiece. The same can't be said about FFX.
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#1931Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 3:33:10 PM
shinigami_matt posted...
Terrible game inside and out. Terrible cast. Terrible battle system. Terrible story. Terrible exploration. XII showed how truly wrong an FF could go. My only regret is that Balthier could have went to a good RPG. And now we'll probably never see his archetype again.

FFXII showed what Japanese developed RPGs should have become. It was a masterpiece and it's unfortunate you can't see that because it wasn't in the same genre of "Interactive Movie RPG" like FFX and FFXIII.
---
#194darkphoenix181Posted 1/30/2013 3:35:55 PM
FFXII open world exploration was fine.

Everything else was poor.
---
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#1951Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:20:17 PM
darkphoenix181 posted...

Actually, everything else was just as good.
---
#196ExtremeLightPosted 1/30/2013 4:22:00 PM
1Truth posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

^This. Except the main cast.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#197Capitan_KidPosted 1/30/2013 4:25:17 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
TheGreatPotato posted...

I mean seriously, 12 plays like an offline, empty old MMO, complete with spell lag.

IZJS does not.
I know it's a moot point bringing up a unreleased game in the west into the discussion, but nonetheless, there's a version which fixes most gameplay issues someone might have had with FFXII Vanilla.

What is IZJS
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#198TriangleHardPosted 1/30/2013 4:25:23 PM
I loved FFXII, but I still know what the flaws of the game is.

The open worldness was not the problem. It was the pacing. If the game broke the grind (something FFXIII ALSO has a problem with) with some story bits, then the game wouldn't be so frustrating to play.

FFVII made sure dungeons were not too long and story info would kick in before too long. Even in mid dungeon, story bits were presented nicely. That's pacing. Keep the story hook there before players forget, so they will be motivated to push forward.

I don't care how good JRPG combat system is, MOST games, doesn't matter if it is FPS, Action, turn based, etc. is rarely good enough to stand on it's own. Sports game works because you are creating story with your mind in each game due to real life info you already have, and you are living your own fantasy in those games. Fighting games works, because it's more about competition than story hook. Rest? You better have a story hook, or your game is boring to play. Story doesn't have to be good, it just has to be interesting enough to keep player's interest.
#1991Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:25:32 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
1Truth posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

^This. Except Vaan and Penelo.

Fixed for truth.
---
#200oxnerdPosted 1/30/2013 4:33:52 PM
Its only desirable with a good battle system which Xenoblade had as it was very MMO- like. 13 also had a very good battle system but the open world thing got really old after IX.