What Made Final Fantasy, "Final Fantasy?" And What It Is Now.

#1MesmerilPosted 1/23/2013 6:47:53 PM
Sorry for the redundancy in the title, but for the question: What was about the past Final Fantasy games that made them so good or was the prime time for Square/Enix?

Compared to the other "Big 3"(mainly VI, VII, and X), the XIII trilogy seems to have less likability due to linearity, horribly written characters, and plot.

I know that the less liked titles were XII and XIII, but isn't the diversity of each game what makes them Final Fantasy? But I can't grasp what this special "charm" that the series each is supposed to possess to be part of the Final Fantasy series.

What do you guys think? (Apologize if my question seems difficult to understand).
#2MagiusNecrosPosted 1/23/2013 6:48:48 PM
To overcome any obstacle on a adventure through friendship.
---
I have always hoped for a BERSERK Final Fantasy Game to be made realized.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#3ExtremeLightPosted 1/23/2013 6:50:57 PM
Fanboyism. People can't stand that X-2, 12, 13 and 13-2 was different from 1-10
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#4King_Shortt_IXPosted 1/23/2013 6:52:10 PM
X-2, and XII were fine. The troubles started with XIII.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#5Mesmeril(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 6:52:13 PM
MagiusNecros posted...

Then, wouldn't they all be liked?
#6MagiusNecrosPosted 1/23/2013 6:56:07 PM
Mesmeril posted...
MagiusNecros posted...

Then, wouldn't they all be liked?

That was the original motivation.

That fell out slowly after FFV. It just got more evident after FFIX.

Became less about friends and more about people brought together.

Last great FF would be Type-0 and before that XII.

Dissidia series could also count in some regards.
---
I have always hoped for a BERSERK Final Fantasy Game to be made realized.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#7ExtremeLightPosted 1/23/2013 6:56:54 PM
King_Shortt_IX posted...

X-2 people didn't like it.
XII people thought it was too open and that the story was too political. Also the cast was bland.
XIII divided the fanbase..
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#8Mesmeril(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 6:58:28 PM
King_Shortt_IX posted...

But I wonder why that is? To me, XIII had just as much flaws as XII did and so many people hate on X-2? Is it a matter of taste?

I mean: We NEVER get much backstories on Vaan and Lightning. Both of whom were the main point-of-views in their respective games (disregarding who the MAIN CHARACTERS were).

X-2 and XIII also seemed to have a similar battle systems with changing roles on the fly, but I guess Auto-Battle was something that many people hated.

I just don't get what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy. (BTW, I like all of the games except 2 and 3).
#9ExtremeLightPosted 1/23/2013 7:01:25 PM
Mesmeril posted...
King_Shortt_IX posted...

But I wonder why that is? To me, XIII had just as much flaws as XII did and so many people hate on X-2? Is it a matter of taste?

I mean: We NEVER get much backstories on Vaan and Lightning. Both of whom were the main point-of-views in their respective games (disregarding who the MAIN CHARACTERS were).

X-2 and XIII also seemed to have a similar battle systems with changing roles on the fly, but I guess Auto-Battle was something that many people hated.

I just don't get what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy. (BTW, I like all of the games except 2 and 3).

Towns, world map, NPC, chocobos, airships, weapons, story, world, graphic.
---
#10tilaroxsPosted 1/23/2013 7:03:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]