I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but it blew my mind last night

#161Sir_Tom_JonesPosted 1/26/2013 6:54:24 PM
Topicz derailed by Kupo and altz. Stahp Kupoooopy.
---
- 'You load 16 tons of GameFaqs users and whaddaya get?' -
#162GenocideHeartPosted 1/26/2013 7:42:34 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
GenocideHeart posted...

Yes, hindsight is 20/20. Whether or not Yeul was wrong is up for debate, but she was working off of incomplete info at best: she knew what would happen if she didn't do something, but didn't know what would happen if she did (she can only see the current timeline). Fang's decision, however, is completely different as she knew what would happen either way:

Choice #1) Destroy Cocoon. Kill hundreds of millions of people and probably kill tens of millions more in the fallout of said event. She would ruin the ecosystem, extinct thousands of other species, and would generally make life for those remaining a living hell.

Choice #2) Don't destroy Cocoon. Turn C'ieth. Kill thousands if no one can put her down.

Choice #3) Off her self. No need to commit Genocide, no need to turn C'ieth, and no need to suffer.

Yuel made the wrong decision based off of incomplete information and was preteen. Fang knew her choices, knew the fallout of each decision, and was a full grown adult yet still decided to go with the worst choice among them.

You forgot a side effect of Fang not doing it. The distinct possibility that her whole side gets wiped out as a direct result of her NOT turning into Ragnarok.

No matter what she did, one side would have suffered. She decided it had to be the OTHER side. It's the same logic behind the United States dropping the nukes on Japan. Had they let the war continue they'd have had to invade, and fighting the Japanese on their turf was a logistic nightmare that would've gotten an enormous amount of US troops killed... so they decided to instead kill a whole lot of the other side's guys and force them to surrender.

It's nothing new, it's what people do in wars. Yes, it's horrible. It's also what the other side would have done to Fang's side, and she decided to say nuts to that. If she HAD to die either way (and as far as she knew, it was either that or become a monster), she wanted to at least take down as many enemies with her as she could, so that her demise wouldn't be completely meaningless. It's soldier logic, and normal people can't understand it. Lightning wasn't so much angry at her for her role in the past war, but for endangering her and Serah. Given how Lightning herself chops down enemies without a second thought, the one thing she'd never question Fang over is her choice to make the other side die for THEIR cause, rather than die for HERS. Because that's the essence of a soldier: "Be very good at making the other guy die for his cause, instead of dying for yours".
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#163BlueDragmirePosted 1/26/2013 9:50:44 PM
Lenna and Faris are actually beta Sabin and Edgar.
---
The official monarch of every single board.
http://bluehighwind.blogspot.com/
#164Kagayaku08Posted 1/26/2013 10:36:47 PM
kupo1705 posted...
DragoonGriffith posted...
kupo1705 posted...

And it proves she's still a douchebag who can't control herself.

Just saying that unlike the situation with Snow, the punch against Fang was somewhat valid.

I personally wouldn't do it in her position, but if nothing else Fang wanted it in a way.

Valid or not, it doesn't change she punches people because of how angry she is.

Her whole 'character' revolves around her anger issues.
Take that away, and you're left with nothing.

wait, if its valid, its not a problem. Is it valid or not?

she wasn't angry in that scene. More like she was sending a message to Fang to straighten up her act. If she had these anger issues, she would have slapped Fang again when she delved back into the same line of thinking when she got Bahamut.

as for snow. IT doesn't really take the novellas to know what Light's problem with Snow was. She stated in game that she had to become stronger because her and Serah were orphans. She joined the army she became "stronger." Suddenly, Serah gets a boyfriend and Lightning's protection is no longer needed in the same fashion it used to be. Whats worse, he's pretending to be a soldier. Her abject "disgust" of him shows when she is describing what N.O.R.A was to Hope. I think she called him a pretend soldier.

to wrap up, she hated Snow because he threatned her position as a sister, as a care taker, and as a soldier. Most people dont' react with maturity towards things they don't like. Look at yourself.
---
nobody owes you anything but a roll of the eye, a kick in the ass, and gaffaw at how much you suck
#165GenocideHeartPosted 1/27/2013 4:52:13 AM
BlueDragmire posted...
Lenna and Faris are actually beta Sabin and Edgar.

Except Lenna and Faris came before Sabin and Edgar. FFV before FFVI, remember?
---
#166DragoonGriffithPosted 1/27/2013 5:26:47 AM
Kagayaku08 posted...

as for snow. IT doesn't really take the novellas to know what Light's problem with Snow was. She stated in game that she had to become stronger because her and Serah were orphans. She joined the army she became "stronger." Suddenly, Serah gets a boyfriend and Lightning's protection is no longer needed in the same fashion it used to be. Whats worse, he's pretending to be a soldier. Her abject "disgust" of him shows when she is describing what N.O.R.A was to Hope. I think she called him a pretend soldier.

to wrap up, she hated Snow because he threatned her position as a sister, as a care taker, and as a soldier. Most people dont' react with maturity towards things they don't like. Look at yourself.

That's still a pretty lousy reason to punch someone multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I get that she's very protective of her sister and that Snow just really annoys her, but as you said it's pretty immature.
Saying the majority does stupid things too won't make her more likable.

One can argue more realistic, though I personally haven't meet a woman in my life who acts first, questions later (as in with fists).

Not that it matters that much, considering she gets better later on and even makes up with Snow properly.
---
Currently playing: Mother 1, Yume Nikki, Radiant Historia.
#167TheGreatPotatoPosted 1/27/2013 6:57:43 AM
http://www.zerochan.net/142482#full
---
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
Mada status: angry.
#168GenocideHeartPosted 1/27/2013 7:11:30 AM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Kagayaku08 posted...

That's still a pretty lousy reason to punch someone multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I get that she's very protective of her sister and that Snow just really annoys her, but as you said it's pretty immature.
Saying the majority does stupid things too won't make her more likable.

One can argue more realistic, though I personally haven't meet a woman in my life who acts first, questions later (as in with fists).

Not that it matters that much, considering she gets better later on and even makes up with Snow properly.

Considering the mess she's made of things, it'd be about time for someone else to punch her over it. I'd pay money to see Hope go nuts over how much she screwed up and slug her. In no small part because Hope never, ever gets as angry as he should. The kid needs to take a couple levels in badass (he already took the ones in competence, being the only one who gets stuff done - granted, that fal'Cie project was a mess, but do remember it was actually designed by Alyssa, not Hope, and on top of that Hope was AGAINST giving Adam full fal'Cie powers, and it was only after he was killed that it was greenlighted to give it full power, because everyone else was stupider than he was), and this would be a good starting point. XD
---
#169chaosflame108Posted 1/27/2013 2:13:24 PM
The thing about Lightning is that while I don't think she's bad as a character, she is basically written like the 16-bit characters on the SNES.

I know that LR is supposed to complete her character development and personality, but so far I have little reason to care about her.

There was never that one flashback scene, that one moment that made me pity her in any way or form in FFXIII, much less FFXIII-2.

Mostly because the whole deal with her and Serah was also kinda stupid. Why am I supposed to care for her sisterly love for her little sister? The game never bothered going in-depth with it.

So, you didn't feel anything for her during the scene, where she more or less said she was going to kill Serah for being a L'cie?
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!