So the Last Remnant PS3 is still listed on the official Square Enix website...
This is getting very interesting. I'm starting to think this game may actually come out. Either that, or a sequel which includes the entire original game like Dissidia 012.
Why do I believe this? Here's my five reasons:
1) A new "2013 ~" category has been added to the the official Square Enix Japan website for games releasing in 2013 or later. The Last Remnant for PS3 has been moved into this category with FF Versus XIII. However, both games still have a "TBA" release date.
It should be noted that the official Square Enix Japan website has been updated countless times since Yoichi Wada hinted The Last Remnant on PS3 was cancelled at a Square Enix investors meeting on June 24, 2009. (Full article: www.ign.com/articles/2009/06/24/last-remnant-ps3-canned) In the almost 4 years since Wada's words, The Last Remnant for PS3 has never been removed from the official Square Enix Japan website. Instead, it has been continually moved forward like FF Versus XIII has.
2) Famitsu still allow their readers to vote for the game when voting for the their most anticipated games. If Famitsu knew the game was cancelled, why would they still allow their readers to vote for it? Famitsu must have been told by Square Enix off the record that the game is still coming.
3) The majority of the development team for The Last Remnant have not been heard of since the PC version came out in March 2009. I researched the credits of all the HD games developed internally by Square Enix this gen and around 80% of the development team from The Last Remnant have not been credited on any game since the PC version of The Last Remnant was released. I even checked the credits for FFXIV after the development team was restructured and Naoki Yoshida took over. There's only like 10 people that worked on The Last Remnant in the credits for the game.
4) Hiroyuki Ito has been leading development of an unannounced, large-scale project for years now. We only found out about this project in 2011 via an interview in the Dissidia 012 Ultimania. However, Ito could have been working on this project as far back as 2009, which is the same time The Last Remnant team disappeared. Therefore, the staff that Ito is working with could be The Last Remnant team.
5) We know the game that Hiroyuki Ito is working on in not a Final Fantasy game. How do we know this? Simple. He has been working on this unannounced, large-scale project since 2009, but when he was interviewed at TGS 2012, he was asked if he would return to FF. He replied, "I'm a working stiff, so if the president tells me to do it, I'll do it. [laughs] Talk to Mr. Wada."
Therefore, we can obviously see that his current large-scale project can't be a FF game.
I believe The Last Remnant is still coming out for PS3. However, I think there's three options in how it will be released:
-- It will be a sequel, but it will include the entire first game on the same (or separate) Blu-ray Disc.
-- It will only be the first game, but a heavily modified version. The battle system, graphics, animation, etc will all be improved. It will also now be open world instead of pointing locations on a 2D overhead map. The cities will be fully open and explorable. There will be loads of new content such as items, weapons, armor, arts, achievements, party members, battle formations, side-quests, mini-games, etc. Lastly, and most importantly, all the technical issues will be gone.
-- It will be the original game and a sequel merged into a single, epic, 200 hour JRPG. It will release on two Blu-ray Discs. The entire game will be open world and have more scale and gameplay content than Skyrim.
I doubt this.
'God judges a tree by its fruits and not by its roots' Arabic Proverb.
because it's awesome!
they must be silly if they actually cancelled Final Fantasy 12.5
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
Look who posted it.
Metal Gear Saga marathon: MGS1 in progress.