Things I respect about Square Enix.

#1DtokPosted 2/2/2013 2:24:46 PM(edited)
I really do like the fact that Square Enix (even back when it was called Squaresoft) tries new ideas. Seeing the Final Fantasy franchise today, it is hard to believe that the original was meant to be the very last shot of the company staying together; the name of the game fits their situation well, it was their company's final fantasy.

As it is now, they have my deepest respect for trying to create a more perfect RPG system for people to enjoy. The pattern I notice with every Final Fantasy is that each one removes elements and adds in new elements to try out. They actually listen to the fans of the series and keep popular elements of the system people enjoy with each release. Unlike any other ongoing franchise, each Final Fantasy is essentially different from one another even if some characters return.

The same can also be said about their other works. When people think Square Enix they usually go straight towards Final Fantasy or Star Ocean, but the truth is that they have many other fantastic works which have a much smaller fan base even if the franchise is no longer continued. The Mana series is slowly fading out, but the series is very difficult to forget if you enjoyed a single one of them; you can even say Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is a child of trying to mix the Final Fantasy and Mana series. They even have stellar one shots like Einhander and Vagrant Story (though Vagrant Story does take place in Ivalice).

While the difficulty of Square Enix games is nothing compared to some other games well known for their difficulty (the D- Souls series come to mind), they're slowly developing out of that ridiculous "safe at home more dangerous further out" mentality; with this being said, I did honestly go "oh crap" when I first saw the T-Rex inside the FF8 training and directly outside the starting town in FF12. I've never seen the "Game Over" screen so much since Final Fantasy Tactics with the FF13 series. It's a nice change in pace to know that the company is slowly moving away from walls blocking your way of exploring to exceptionally strong monsters blocking your way of exploring further. Maybe one of these days we'll lose walls altogether and instead get a zone of impossibly strong monsters outside the accepted game boundary.

There are much more I want to say, but I'll leave it here for today. Thank you very much for reading.
---
Mr. Fortune Calculator.
PSN: DToNE7
#2Elice_CarolPosted 2/2/2013 2:25:13 PM
You're welcome, I agree with your opinion that change is a vital aspect as to why SE is so popular, it's good to keep things fresh.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#3kirusuPosted 2/2/2013 2:29:31 PM
you kind of make a good point but their ideas have been sucking lately.
---
im not changing this sig until i see a cutscene with lightning on the toilet. hell it doesnt have to be a long one
#4kupo1705Posted 2/2/2013 2:31:03 PM
I like how all of the games they publish have good PC ports, instead of the crap we usually get.
#5kirusuPosted 2/2/2013 2:34:31 PM
kupo1705 posted...
I like how all of the games they publish have good PC ports, instead of the crap we usually get.

woah which ones? i need to invest in pc gaming.
---
im not changing this sig until i see a cutscene with lightning on the toilet. hell it doesnt have to be a long one
#6kupo1705Posted 2/2/2013 2:37:25 PM
kirusu posted...
kupo1705 posted...

All of them really.
Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs had great ports.
I can't speak for Hitman as I haven't played it yet.
They even released a HD texture pack for SD.
#7kirusuPosted 2/2/2013 2:39:56 PM
kupo1705 posted...
kirusu posted...
kupo1705 posted...

All of them really.

i might just play those. whats the gameplay style to each?
---
#8kupo1705Posted 2/2/2013 2:53:56 PM
kirusu posted...
kupo1705 posted...
kirusu posted...
kupo1705 posted...

All of them really.

i might just play those. whats the gameplay style to each?

Just look up some gameplay videos.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is a RPG FPS with open areas you can freely walk around in. You build up your character with skills that making you better in things like dialogue, hacking, shooting, stealth etc. There's lots of side missions to do in each area.

Sleeping Dogs is an open world sandbox game like GTA, but with a focus on melee combat. It's set in Hong Kong, and is pretty much a homage to HK kung fu movies. The best way to describe it is 'GTA: Jackie Chan'.

I haven't played Hitman Absolution yet, but the previous games were sandbox stealth games. You let loose in an area that you could freely walk around, and you had to take out 1 or more people. Since it's an open area, you could decide how to do that. Poison someone's drink, push them over an edge, make it look like an accident, take them out silently or just go in guns blazing.
#9kirusuPosted 2/2/2013 2:56:03 PM
kupo1705 posted...

Just look up some gameplay videos.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is a RPG FPS with open areas you can freely walk around in. You build up your character with skills that making you better in things like dialogue, hacking, shooting, stealth etc. There's lots of side missions to do in each area.

Sleeping Dogs is an open world sandbox game like GTA, but with a focus on melee combat. It's set in Hong Kong, and is pretty much a homage to HK kung fu movies. The best way to describe it is 'GTA: Jackie Chan'.

I haven't played Hitman Absolution yet, but the previous games were sandbox stealth games. You let loose in an area that you could freely walk around, and you had to take out 1 or more people. Since it's an open area, you could decide how to do that. Poison someone's drink, push them over an edge, make it look like an accident, take them out silently or just go in guns blazing.

sounds legit. btw you played a game called bouncer?
---
#10kupo1705Posted 2/2/2013 2:59:00 PM
kirusu posted...
sounds legit. btw you played a game called bouncer?

That PS2 game?
Never played it.