Hiroyuki Ito has not worked hands-on with a single Square Enix game this gen!

#11TruthPosted 2/2/2013 5:01:37 PM
Wow! This is really notable point considering that Sakaguchi believes Ito can once again make FF a leading and respected series in gaming. It really puts things into perspective of why console FF has really failed this gen.

The last game Ito actually worked hands-on with was FFXII IZJS, released on PS2 in August 2007. Since then he has only worked hands-off (i.e. supervisor, special thanks, original concept). In other words, Hiroyuki Ito has not worked hands-on with a single game this gen (DS, PSP, iOS, 360, PS3, Wii). I find that really shocking. Anybody that knows what this man has done for FF should. If you don't know Hiroyuki Ito's track record then read the top of his Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Ito

There is only one possible reasons why Hiroyuki Ito has not had a hands-on role for any Square Enix game this gen:

Hiroyuki Ito is too busy designing, producing and directing Final Fantasy XV. The scale and ambition of the game is so great that he can't work hands-on with any other game.

Is this a deluded belief or is it a realistic mentality? As of me typing this, Hiroyuki Ito is still a Square Enix employee and he's not a low rank one, either. He was promoted to Producer/Director by Yoichi Wada back in 2006. This is the exact same role Yoichi Wada gave Naoki Yoshida in 2010.

Hiroyuki ito is definitely working on something as Producer/Director and Yoichi Wada and the rest of Square Enix management are keeping it as classified as the inside of Area 51.

I would appreciate if somebody made a NeoGAF thread about this issue as I would be interested in reading their opinions on the matter. Seriously, will an entire console generation really go past with Hiroyuki Ito not working hands-on with a single game?
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#2TiaelPosted 2/2/2013 5:02:40 PM
I found Waldo.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni - Captain Whamtastic http://i.imgur.com/IVH6BX0.jpg
Dragon Quest>Ys>SMT>Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five. Da Bears!
#3DragoonGriffithPosted 2/2/2013 5:03:04 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/137/818/7006b3_2218040.gif
---
Waiting for: NNK, Tales of Xillia 2
#4kupo1705Posted 2/2/2013 5:04:30 PM
Cool story.
#5shinigami_mattPosted 2/2/2013 5:05:13 PM
Haven't seen a Galv slobbering over Ito thread for a while. Was getting worried.
---
Go then, there are other worlds than these. - The Gunslinger
#6King_Shortt_IXPosted 2/2/2013 5:08:12 PM
He is wise in doing so.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.
#7Cammy_7Posted 2/2/2013 5:22:40 PM
I really like hiroyuki ito. He is probably the shigeru miyamoto of square enix. I really hope he is working on ff15 which is hopefully agnis philosophy. And yeah, I dont think motomu toriyama is a good storyteller like hironobu sakaguchi, and yoshinori kitase isnt as great a director like hironobu either.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBAryUX8K4
#81Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 5:23:16 PM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
He is wise in doing so.

I just find it amazing that he hasn't worked on a single game this gen. Surely he must be busy with something. He can't still be at the company and being paid to do nothing, right?
---
#9MalakTawusPosted 2/2/2013 5:23:45 PM
shinigami_matt posted...
Haven't seen a Galv slobbering over Ito thread for a while. Was getting worried.

This. LoL.
---
"Remember, you can make anything as idiot-proof as you want, they'll just build a better idiot...."
#101Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 5:31:18 PM
Cammy_7 posted...
I really like hiroyuki ito. He is probably the shigeru miyamoto of square enix. I really hope he is working on ff15 which is hopefully agnis philosophy. And yeah, I dont think motomu toriyama is a good storyteller like hironobu sakaguchi, and yoshinori kitase isnt as great a director like hironobu either.

Kitase/Toriyama just couldn't keep up with modern gaming. I think Sakaguchi knows this and that why he says Ito can make FF a leading series in gaming. Ito is mainly known for his gameplay. I think FF needs more of that and less story from now on. What I mean is more world scale, battle system features, side-quests, mini-games. Less cutscenes and Datalogs.

It would be cool if Ito was leading Agni's Philosophy, but then that leaves the possibility of him not working on any game hands-on for an entire console gen. What a travesty that would be both for his career and for Square Enix in general.
---