People expected too much of XIII.

#91Sir_Tom_JonesPosted 2/5/2013 9:14:30 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#92nfobiaPosted 2/5/2013 9:44:32 AM
Yes, i agree, people expected too much. Lets get this straight, biggest complain since release was linearity and it still is. Its not getting better for the future Final Fantasies because its seems that today free roaming world is becoming standard, not for just RPG but games in general. That is a big problem in my opinion. I too like sandbox games but linearity is so much better for good story and tight gameplay elements. Like FFXIII.

At first when i finished XIII first time, it never came into my mind that linearity is problem because battle system, story and overall art style got me hooked. Though i totally think fans complains are justified at certain point. Still its unfair that X for example gets praised and people barely mention it being as linear as XIII, which is true. Early 2000 when X was released there were no sanbox games in consoles at all, today its different story. And when Skyrim got perfect score in Famitsu, its definately gonna change future japanese rpg development (Dragon's Dogma being one of the first example).

So who is to blame here? Fans? No. XIII's linearity? No. Todays game market full of sanbox games? Bingo.
#93kupo1705Posted 2/5/2013 9:52:53 AM
nfobia posted...
linearity is so much better for good story and tight gameplay elements. Like FFXIII..

It's a shame people actually believe this.
#94Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 2/5/2013 9:56:08 AM
a good and well told story with compelling characters dosent need advanced technology.

those things we have been enjoying since before electricity.

those things are free and dont cost anything.

SE has only themselves to blame for botching the most basic and simple part of making a good rpg.
---
-choose death-
#95nfobiaPosted 2/5/2013 10:18:47 AM
kupo1705 posted...
nfobia posted...
linearity is so much better for good story and tight gameplay elements. Like FFXIII..

It's a shame people actually believe this.

Its not about what you believe, just what feels good and what you enjoy. These are videogames, not religion (sometimes feels like it though). But this is only one persons opinion after all. Some like linear story telling, others dont.
#96DemonPathRevyaPosted 2/5/2013 10:53:24 AM
The thing is, these kinds of things are subjective. One person may have liked the story but hate the linearity, while others may think it was terrible (The story) and thought the linearity was very innovating and appropriate. Personally I don't think people are being too hard on the game at all really. It didn't disappoint with graphics, but it did show where all the true effort went. People complain about linearity, but since FFX fans have come to accepting it. But unlike X, XIII allowed no backtrack making the player feel that the world is non-existent almost. It's understandable that it wouldn't make sense in the story but remember this is an RPG, not a film. You have to break some boundaries in order to cross plains of the fanbase. Also there is the thing with the data log answering most questions rather then drawing them from the characters themselves. In truth people need to take the game for what it was and move on. Maybe the next one will stimulate you, maybe not.

XIII, to me, was a response to XII's open world, down to earth party, free roaming, lack of melodrama and slow pacing story. While I feel XII is a response to X's anime stereotypical characters, standoff character designs, linear exploration and imperceivable story. There is no telling if this pattern will cease and they find a middle ground anytime soon. My thought is SE needs some new blood.

This is just my opinion though.
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
[Yoshida designs > Nomura designs]
#97Elice_CarolPosted 2/5/2013 11:21:30 AM
I never said I did believe them. Heck, I just happened to stumble across XIII on the store shelf one day with no prior knowledge of what Final Fantasy was. For Final Fantasy XIII-2, I knew darn well that they were full of it most of the time. Same for LR now. I'm just saying that Square Enix kind of asks for the disappointment they receive since they hype up each new entry as the second coming for Final Fantasy since a lot of people can't help but get hyped to start out with.

Considering how much they use it, did it not occur to you that perhaps it was their business model? This may sound skewed, but they might consider each successive FF to be a step forward for the series, so even if the sales lower and dahdeedah happens, they'll keep pushing forward with everything they've got. Gosh, that sounds corny.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#98ZeroBeattPosted 2/5/2013 10:10:51 PM
DemonPathRevya posted...
The thing is, these kinds of things are subjective. One person may have liked the story but hate the linearity, while others may think it was terrible (The story) and thought the linearity was very innovating and appropriate. Personally I don't think people are being too hard on the game at all really. It didn't disappoint with graphics, but it did show where all the true effort went. People complain about linearity, but since FFX fans have come to accepting it. But unlike X, XIII allowed no backtrack making the player feel that the world is non-existent almost. It's understandable that it wouldn't make sense in the story but remember this is an RPG, not a film. You have to break some boundaries in order to cross plains of the fanbase. Also there is the thing with the data log answering most questions rather then drawing them from the characters themselves. In truth people need to take the game for what it was and move on. Maybe the next one will stimulate you, maybe not.

XIII, to me, was a response to XII's open world, down to earth party, free roaming, lack of melodrama and slow pacing story. While I feel XII is a response to X's anime stereotypical characters, standoff character designs, linear exploration and imperceivable story. There is no telling if this pattern will cease and they find a middle ground anytime soon. My thought is SE needs some new blood.

This is just my opinion though.

This makes sense actually :) Great point once again Revya.
---
---
FFIX>FFVI>FFV>FFXII>FFIV>FFVII>FFIII>FFXI>FFVIII>FFI>FFX>FFII>FFXIII>FFXIV
#99TheGreatPotatoPosted 2/5/2013 10:13:35 PM
Zetta-Honey-Boy posted...
a good and well told story with compelling characters dosent need advanced technology.

those things we have been enjoying since before electricity.

those things are free and dont cost anything.

SE has only themselves to blame for botching the most basic and simple part of making a good rpg.

Yeah, they butchered 12.
---
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
Mada status: angry.
#100TkShot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:00:17 PM
bump

I would just like to say... maybe SE wanted to be innovative or step away from the general RPG that you would expect in almost every game you play?

Now, this is where everyone gets divided.

People will praise how SE went to another approach to avoid the traditional style of RPG games. Heck, they even took out the traditional FF prelude and fanfare themes. I'm guessing they were trying to prove that not every FF game has to exactly have the same structure that you would expect like comparing FF games and they think it would make it work or even be a better success? Even getting rid of a "world map" angered many fans... but it was in order to develop a story where everyone would get the point of XIII and the whole reasoning behind the plot... that is what I believe.

Now for people who wanted this game to be what it said it was going to be or it didn't deliver. I agree with you guys as well. The very old trailer for XIII had the awesome battle system where it would transition from battling to cut scenes was just amazing. But when I saw the updated battle system I was a bit thrown off. Now the walking experience in XIII did feel like a guided land, however it wasn't EXACTLY like a straight hallway.. especially when you reach Gran Pulse. But yet again, I could understand where people are coming from how restricted the game was for most of the time and even after end game.
---
Lightning x Lumina is overrated!
it's ALL ABOUT dat Barthandelus x Hope x Ultros