Ladies and gentlemen of the last few generations, we are a dying breed.

#91drsw36Posted 2/4/2013 10:52:45 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
drsw36 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I actually heard XIII-2 sold 3 million. o.o And I don't think Square is trying to recover losses since FF 11 is still pulling in a lot of pure profit for them each month. They're doing fine.

Square Enix is trying to recover losses. The amount of money they lost from XIV was massive, and they're losing even more money right now because of ARR's incredibly expensive development. XIII-2 didn't sell well, even for a sequel. X-2 sold more than 5 million copies, for crying out loud.

Yes it did. XIII-2 helped made profits for SE. It sold well. Not as good as pass FFs but for a video game it sold very well.

Also I thing you have the right to opinions but you need to stop being so aggressive all the time and force your opinions on people.

XIII-2 made a profit. I already stated this. I know it made a profit, but that's only because the game was so low-budget in the first place. It sold well for "a game," but this is Final Fantasy we're talking about here. Even the worst Final Fantasy titles sell far better than a vast majority of other RPG's. XIII-2's sales are not good by FF standards, even when going by sequel standards, as X-2 sold more than 5 million copies, which is double of XIII-2's sales.

I can't help being aggressive, especially in a topic like this where people claim that the quality has not dipped and that people are just being "nostalgia whores" when that is not the case.

Yes I understand that. The nostalgia excuse can be annoying.
---
Proud owner of a : PC, PS3, XBOX360, PSP, DS, PS2, GC, Snes, WII.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drsw36
#92OpheliaAdenadePosted 2/4/2013 10:57:21 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I actually heard XIII-2 sold 3 million. o.o And I don't think Square is trying to recover losses since FF 11 is still pulling in a lot of pure profit for them each month. They're doing fine.

Square Enix is trying to recover losses. The amount of money they lost from XIV was massive, and they're losing even more money right now because of ARR's incredibly expensive development. XIII-2 didn't sell well, even for a sequel. X-2 sold more than 5 million copies, for crying out loud.

But FF X sold more than XIII did. o.o It isn't really a fair comparison. 3 million is really good for a sequel considering XIII-2 didn't cost much to make in the first place.

So what? The install base for the PS3/360 combined isn't that much smaller than the PS2, and XIII still sold nearly 7 million, so it's roughly a million behind X. X-2's 5 million+ sales are still more than half of what X sold, whereas XIII-2's 2.5 million sales are less than half of XIII's ~6.7 million sales.

Here's this, BTW:
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

These numbers seem accurate. I know vgchartz's isn't accurate since, IIRC, they say that XIII sold around 4 million, which is completely incorrect, since SE themselves stated that it sold more than 6.5 million copies.

I don't think these numbers are accurate. <_< You just said they have XIII's sales wrong. What makes you think XIII-2's sales are right? Regardless, Square themselves said that XIII-2 sold enough to warrant a sequel. So it must have met their expectations. o.o They probably didn't expect it to sell that well considering how some people reacted to XIII.

And since when do sales indicate quality? Didn't you like XIII? o.o So why are you trying to argue that XIII was so bad that it made XIII-2 sell "poorly?"
---
http://bln.gs/b/24i7sw
#93theofficefan99Posted 2/4/2013 11:06:35 PM(edited)
OpheliaAdenade posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
OpheliaAdenade posted...

But FF X sold more than XIII did. o.o It isn't really a fair comparison. 3 million is really good for a sequel considering XIII-2 didn't cost much to make in the first place.

So what? The install base for the PS3/360 combined isn't that much smaller than the PS2, and XIII still sold nearly 7 million, so it's roughly a million behind X. X-2's 5 million+ sales are still more than half of what X sold, whereas XIII-2's 2.5 million sales are less than half of XIII's ~6.7 million sales.

Here's this, BTW:
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

These numbers seem accurate. I know vgchartz's isn't accurate since, IIRC, they say that XIII sold around 4 million, which is completely incorrect, since SE themselves stated that it sold more than 6.5 million copies.

I don't think these numbers are accurate. <_< You just said they have XIII's sales wrong. What makes you think XIII-2's sales are right? Regardless, Square themselves said that XIII-2 sold enough to warrant a sequel. So it must have met their expectations. o.o They probably didn't expect it to sell that well considering how some people reacted to XIII.

And since when do sales indicate quality? Didn't you like XIII? o.o So why are you trying to argue that XIII was so bad that it made XIII-2 sell "poorly?"

This link shows the correct number for XIII's sales, not the incorrect number, sooo...

Yes, it sold enough for a sequel because it was low budget and it ended on a cliffhanger. It still sold poorly for a Final Fantasy game, let alone a sequel. There is no denying this. X-2 sold double that of XIII-2's sales. Yes, exactly, their expectations were not high, but that does not mean that the sales were good. There is a massive difference between "good" and "good enough."

I like XIII but I will not deny that it is hated by a lot of people and that it's weaker than past entries of the series. And I never stated that sales = quality, I'm just showing that interest in the series has been declining, and that can possibly indicate a dip in quality.

I never said XIII-2 sold poorly. I said it sold poorly for a Final Fantasy game. That's a huge difference.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#94westontickleePosted 2/4/2013 11:12:34 PM
Well I asked chacha if FFXIII-2 sold poorly for a Final Fantasy game and they said no. And chacha is always right.
---
I come from the future
Claire "Lightning" Farron's best friend, maried to Ayesha Altugle, ex lover of Milla Maxwell
#95OpheliaAdenadePosted 2/4/2013 11:18:53 PM
theofficefan99 posted...

This link shows the correct number for XIII's sales, not the incorrect number, sooo...

Yes, it sold enough for a sequel because it was low budget and it ended on a cliffhanger. It still sold poorly for a Final Fantasy game, let alone a sequel. There is no denying this. X-2 sold double that of XIII-2's sales. Yes, exactly, their expectations were not high, but that does not mean that the sales were good. There is a massive difference between "good" and "good enough."

I like XIII but I will not deny that it is hated by a lot of people and that it's weaker than past entries of the series. And I never stated that sales = quality, I'm just showing that interest in the series has been declining, and that can possibly indicate a dip in quality.

I never said XIII-2 sold poorly. I said it sold poorly for a Final Fantasy game. That's a huge difference.

But other final fantasy games have sold less than XIII-2. o.o The only other comparison you can make is to X-2, and even it had a dip in sales despite FF X being very well received. So how are you going to separate the dip in sales caused by it being a sequel and the dip from a supposed drop in quality? :u That's what I mean. I think you're looking too far into this.
---
#96chaosflame108Posted 2/4/2013 11:21:47 PM
*Rolls Eyes*

So much melodrama. The series is fine.
---
I AM SATANAIL. HE WHO SHALL SET RIGHT THIS DISTORTED UNIVERSE!!!
#97theofficefan99Posted 2/4/2013 11:31:07 PM(edited)
OpheliaAdenade posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

But other final fantasy games have sold less than XIII-2. o.o The only other comparison you can make is to X-2, and even it had a dip in sales despite FF X being very well received. So how are you going to separate the dip in sales caused by it being a sequel and the dip from a supposed drop in quality? :u That's what I mean. I think you're looking too far into this.

Yes, and those, I assume, are non-mainline/direct sequel titles? And those are obviously not good enough sales for FF.

Yes, it had a dip in sales compared to X, which I already established, but the sales in X-2 compared to X were well more than half of X's sales, whereas X-2's is well less than half of XIII's sales. It shows that XIII's sales weren't exactly based off of how "amazing" it was, otherwise XIII-2 would have sold around 4-4.5 million, which is equivalent to the amount X-2 sold compared to X. That was my point in the first place. That XIII's nearly 7 million sales weren't based off of its reputation as an individual game, but rather, the hype and the (former) reputation of the series as a whole.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#98OpheliaAdenadePosted 2/4/2013 11:49:51 PM
So what exactly is your point? o.o That XIII's sales were front-loaded because people were hyped for a final fantasy game? Everyone knows that. I don't really see how that proves that SE has a bad reputation all of a sudden. It just means that XIII had a mixed reaction. That can't be helped.
---
#99theofficefan99Posted 2/4/2013 11:52:49 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
So what exactly is your point? o.o That XIII's sales were front-loaded because people were hyped for a final fantasy game? Everyone knows that. I don't really see how that proves that SE has a bad reputation all of a sudden. It just means that XIII had a mixed reaction. That can't be helped.

Yes, that's what my point was. And I've covered the bad reputation time and again, and you can't deny that SE's reputation has gone down the drain. At least for Final Fantasy, the CEO has admitted that the FF brand has been damaged, and that is definitely saying something.
---
#100KoRnKoBPosted 2/4/2013 11:52:57 PM
FACT: The FF series has lost a lot of quality as games...

FACT: They're now decent-at-best, interactive movies.

Games from Japan get popular and the creators start thinking they're artists making masterpieces for us gamers to enjoy. Metal Gear Solid is a good example of this, each game consists of less and less gameplay and more and more video! Also, MGS had the best story of the series, then 2 comes along and starts getting a bit crazy, followed by the bee man and the lightning lord in 3... It's ridiculous how much Japanese companies feel the need to alter their games so much. DMC is completely different now, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy...

Bethesda have the right idea! Keep making the same type of game and IMPROVING upon it, even if some of the older features add to the fun. And just to clarify, I still have my beef with Bethesda's QC department...
---
Currently playing: Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Ni No Kuni. PSN: PrincePAUL87