Do the people who hate FF13

#51Elice_CarolPosted 2/9/2013 3:04:15 PM
Welp, I can't argue against this. One of your best and most well thought out posts I've seen.
And it did make me appreciate NGE even more.

I guess Kaworu's charisma rubbed off on me, I watched Evangelion 3.0 earlier today and there were lots and lots of tears.

Kaworu, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Elice_Carol/
#52yorostPosted 2/9/2013 3:05:44 PM
I don't see how people can miss the basic design similarities between these two games. XIII is an alright FF game, I have it maybe on the low side of the middle, but X is the worst of the main games. They suffer from the same problems, but at least in XIII they're mitigated. No random encounters when dealt a straight line is a huge plus. The cyrstarium didn't hide that it was streamlining like the sphere grid. I know some international releases were better, but leveling systems meant to look like you have options but force you into preset classes is almost rude. The straight lines weren't quite as straight XIII, which made it more palatable sinceit was at least more interesting to look at. Gran Pulse was a far better open area near the end. XIII was designed after X, that just seems obvious to me. The battle system in X and XIII are different, definitely, but the one in X was a huge step back for the series. I enjoy X's story, but the game part of it stunk. When I think about it, I realize too many of the character's in X were lousy, so it's a wonder the story even came off so well.
#53Ultima_LordPosted 2/9/2013 4:41:13 PM
Nope. FFX is my favorite game in the series, and XIII is my 3rd least favorite.

yorost posted...
X is the worst of the main games.

Opinion. :l

leveling systems meant to look like you have options but force you into preset classes is almost rude

Yeah, that is rude. Good thing that wasn't the case even with the normal Sphere Grid in FFX, and that it gave you options.
---
Kanji: But that chick...she is pretty amazing.
Yu: Which chick? Oh right, funbags. - P4 Animation
#54ragnarokiusPosted 2/9/2013 5:32:52 PM
Elice_Carol posted...
Pretty much this, but you forgot to hate Shinji; which is where probably 99% percent of the hatred for the series comes from at all. And I guess the other 1% are the people who either criticize the art or claim the religious references are pretentious.

I don't hate Shinji, I actually want to hug him and protect him from the world's horrors after all the crap he's been put through. One of the lovely things about Evangelion is that you can't look at a character and judge him in a superficial sense, because there's likely to be another aspect of him that works against your judgement. For example, you call Shinji whiny and weak, but he has the strength to continue piloting his Evangelion because nobody else can, he can't stand by and watch the world crumble if he knows he can do something to stop it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5_PFiUMg0

Actually, unless there's something I forgot, him continuing to pilot the eva is due to weakness. He has the strength to do it because he doesn't have the strength to say no.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m
#55Blackzero123Posted 2/9/2013 5:40:23 PM
I like the orginal FF13 but hated part 2 with a passion. FF10 story was good but the characters kinda suck for me except Auron. FFX-2 that wasn't good challenging(oversoul surprise me) though but it lacks a little.
#56SkrallRampagerPosted 2/9/2013 5:40:38 PM
I loved 10.

I really liked 13.

Yes, they are similar. And I enjoyed them both immensely.

13-2 on the other hand......

<<
#57RanmaRanmaPosted 2/9/2013 11:38:08 PM(edited)
I don't believe this to be a legit topic, but I'll bite.

FFX is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, perhaps top 3, maybe even number 2. Persona 4 is number 1. Shenmue 1 and 2 are up there, FFVII and Xenogears as well. The Suikoden series also.

FFXIII is not a bad game per say, but as an RPG it's an embarrassment to the genre. As a FF game, it's easily the worst in the brand, next to XIV in my eyes. I've played it, I've watched a playthrough of it, I wanted to like it, and I have a close friend who loves it. I've given it every chance I can. I just consider it dreadful. There's some good to it. It's playable, and it's relatively bug free. That's why I say it's not a bad game. And trust me, I've played some **** games, so I know it could be much worse.

I don't consider the two games to be similar at all. FFX had more freedom, a better story, a better cast, much better music, a better world, a better battle system, a better monster battling sidequest, more than 1 sidequest type, awesome enemy designs, better pacing, and a much deeper leveling up system. Many of these points are subjective, I get that, but that's my honest opinion. The difference between the quality of some of those points can also be enormous. The two games are not in the same league to me.

FYI: I like 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 11, and 12. So, it's not like I'm picky. XIII just didn't click for me, nor XIII-2.
---
http://animerecap.blogspot.com/
#58yorostPosted 2/10/2013 3:26:56 PM
Ultima_Lord posted...
Nope. FFX is my favorite game in the series, and XIII is my 3rd least favorite.

yorost posted...
X is the worst of the main games.

Opinion. :l

leveling systems meant to look like you have options but force you into preset classes is almost rude

Yeah, that is rude. Good thing that wasn't the case even with the normal Sphere Grid in FFX, and that it gave you options.

Does it really need to be said that when we rank or judge games it is an opinion?

The sphere grid was not very big on option in the standard release. You had some choices, but the unlocks were not common enough. While you could nudge your characters, you get presented with a primary class because it is hard to avoid. By the time you start having free choices it was a matter of grinding them out because you already had your base class. The cyrstarium was worse, though, but at least I was expecting it when I saw it thanks to the sphere grid.
#59ExtremeLightPosted 2/10/2013 4:01:52 PM
oxnerd posted...
I JUST finished FF10 for the first time a minute ago, I really do see similarities. How can anyone not?

-linearity
-similar plot line (enemies of the state)
-similar villains that want to die for a new world
-level-up system

I don't see how anyone couldn't see it either.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#60zodiac_swordPosted 2/10/2013 4:07:10 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
(enemies of the state)

Just like in a lot of FF games.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?