It makes sense that ffxiii was linear

#51ExtremeLightPosted 2/13/2013 7:24:44 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
stylsavsim posted...
How could they possibly explore, talk to NPCs, ride airships ect. if they were being chased by the army and practically everyone on Cocoon was afraid of them? It makes sense that Gran Pulse was the least linear area in the entire game.

Finally someone that understand the linearity!!!

I could list a hundred different ways the gameplay already makes no damn sense. We have unlimited energy in regards to spell casting; we heal after every battle no matter how badly the party was hurt; we juggle 50 ton war machines like they were a volleyball; we defy gravity on a regular basis; we take thousands upon thousands of gunshot wounds; we are burned, blown up, slash, sliced, dice, crushed, obliterated, etc. and are none the worse for wear; we are teleported to a separate location to do battle; we use animal bones, various fluids, and other weird object to upgrade our equipment and sometimes transform them all together; enemy formations respawn when you are out of reach; throwing a single potion up in the air immediately cures gunshot wounds while the party is still human; the party obviously fights completely different during gameplay than during cutscenes (aka they don't stand around, not avoiding attacks and getting hurt while they wait for their ATB meter to recharge); etc. There is a reason there is a thing called "Gamplay/Story segregation".

And here's the thing: People weren't and still aren't asking for any intrusive exploration or sidequests and the fact is Square Enix actually had exploration in the game at one point . They used the flashback scenes as a way to add in interaction.

You saw Lightning's house in the cutscenes? Want to look around? Great! You can as Lightning during flashbacks! You can even look around the entire surrounding area as well!

Want to look around the town of Bodhum? Great! We have an entire sequence with Serah and Snow shopping around, looking for a present for Lightning! There are several jokes made in the cutscenes here, Snow and Serah's relationship is developed more, and it is a much needed break from all the drama. Just take control of Serah and/or Snow!

Want to Explore Nautilus with Sazh and Vanille? Great! We have an entire theme park for you to explore!

Pining for some exploration? Never fear, gamer! There are branching paths that, while they don't lead anywhere in particular, will allow you to find treasures, fight new enemies, and get a feel for the world around you along the way! It is thought that's why there are so many blocked off paths in the Gapra Whitewood for no apparent reason: You used to be able to explore these paths (hence why they made the lighting paths and Lightning says "Follow this path to find your way").

That was PERFECT and this was all already implemented in the game before release . And this is just what we know about. All fans were asking for was a few exploration options, sidequests, and minigames which Square Enix HAD ALREADY IMPLEMENTED and there would have at least been 60% to 70% less griping about the linearity. Why they chose to get rid of it is beyond me since they felt it didn't conflict with the vision they had for the game for over 90% of development (and no, it's not because of the Xbox 360 since they could have easily requested a 4th disc since it was Microsoft who came to them for an XIII port, not the other way around).

?.? Nothing to do with Linearity...
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#52mahroflcopterPosted 2/13/2013 9:08:14 PM
ExtremeLight posted...

?.? Nothing to do with Linearity...

Bottom line: with all the other stuff that makes no sense with the gameplay, the "it wouldn't make sense from a story standpoint" excuse doesn't fly. Especially when Square Enix had non-linear elements in the game up until 90% of the way through development.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#53theofficefan99Posted 2/13/2013 9:16:05 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
stylsavsim posted...
How could they possibly explore, talk to NPCs, ride airships ect. if they were being chased by the army and practically everyone on Cocoon was afraid of them? It makes sense that Gran Pulse was the least linear area in the entire game.

Finally someone that understand the linearity!!!

I could list a hundred different ways the gameplay already makes no damn sense. We have unlimited energy in regards to spell casting; we heal after every battle no matter how badly the party was hurt; we juggle 50 ton war machines like they were a volleyball; we defy gravity on a regular basis; we take thousands upon thousands of gunshot wounds; we are burned, blown up, slash, sliced, dice, crushed, obliterated, etc. and are none the worse for wear; we are teleported to a separate location to do battle; we use animal bones, various fluids, and other weird object to upgrade our equipment and sometimes transform them all together; enemy formations respawn when you are out of reach; throwing a single potion up in the air immediately cures gunshot wounds while the party is still human; the party obviously fights completely different during gameplay than during cutscenes (aka they don't stand around, not avoiding attacks and getting hurt while they wait for their ATB meter to recharge); etc. There is a reason there is a thing called "Gamplay/Story segregation".

And here's the thing: People weren't and still aren't asking for any intrusive exploration or sidequests and the fact is Square Enix actually had exploration in the game at one point . They used the flashback scenes as a way to add in interaction.

You saw Lightning's house in the cutscenes? Want to look around? Great! You can as Lightning during flashbacks! You can even look around the entire surrounding area as well!

Want to look around the town of Bodhum? Great! We have an entire sequence with Serah and Snow shopping around, looking for a present for Lightning! There are several jokes made in the cutscenes here, Snow and Serah's relationship is developed more, and it is a much needed break from all the drama. Just take control of Serah and/or Snow!

Want to Explore Nautilus with Sazh and Vanille? Great! We have an entire theme park for you to explore!

Pining for some exploration? Never fear, gamer! There are branching paths that, while they don't lead anywhere in particular, will allow you to find treasures, fight new enemies, and get a feel for the world around you along the way! It is thought that's why there are so many blocked off paths in the Gapra Whitewood for no apparent reason: You used to be able to explore these paths (hence why they made the lighting paths and Lightning says "Follow this path to find your way").

That was PERFECT and this was all already implemented in the game before release . And this is just what we know about. All fans were asking for was a few exploration options, sidequests, and minigames which Square Enix HAD ALREADY IMPLEMENTED and there would have at least been 60% to 70% less griping about the linearity. Why they chose to get rid of it is beyond me since they felt it didn't conflict with the vision they had for the game for over 90% of development (and no, it's not because of the Xbox 360 since they could have easily requested a 4th disc since it was Microsoft who came to them for an XIII port, not the other way around).

Wait, WHAT? They had this stuff done???

Source, please??? I'm so angry if this is true!
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#54mahroflcopterPosted 2/13/2013 10:44:51 PM
@Office

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/13/noras-secret-base-and-lightnings-home-cut-from-final-fantasy-xiii/

"Nora, Snow’s hero squad, at one time had a secret base within Lebreau’s shop. A full space was made for Lightning’s home, which included a park. One of the game’s amusement parks also had a zoo too.

These areas were running in an unreleased build of Final Fantasy XIII, but were cut from the final version due to considerations about game balance and game volume. "

Nora's base, Lightning's House, a park in Bohdum, a theme park... there was another interview going further in depth about it. I'll see if I can find it.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#55DaGreatOnelolPosted 2/13/2013 11:45:49 PM(edited)
1. Did people seem to forget that XIII was multi platform? Meaning that Xbox users were to get thos game too? The mere fact that Bluray holds twice more data than Xbox disks are a comsideration SE took and withheld content for obvious reasons, seeing if a game had like 6 disks who in their right minds would play that?

2. Grand Pulse was literally extinct of all humans since Fang and Vanille participated in the war. With a bunch of monsters roaming the planet and seeing how the story drove them to find answers, obviously Grand Pulse would be more non-linear. And also, making them more stronger, just as the Fal'Cie wanted

3. If people weren't so ignorant, the mere argument that you could not revisit cities back on Cocoon was very asinine. They were on the chase and it would be common sense to guard cities that "criminals" visit. Not to mention that PSI Com was evacuating Cocoon because of their "Purges"

4. I cannot refute other areas of linearlity people want to accuse XIII of however, I feel bad for everyone who thought this was a JRPG when it felt mostly like an adventure for the truth type of feeling. The story and how the game built around it clearly, just clearly, upset some minorities but I know my feeling : its better than XIII-2

5. I wanted to visit Lightning's house just to see the bed where she and Serah together. Ohhhhh yeaaaah baby! lol.
---
"Damn right and I'll do it again. I am right so I gotz to win" - DMX
#56mahroflcopterPosted 2/14/2013 12:15:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]