If you don't like modern FF, why do you keep playing the games?

#11TruthPosted 2/7/2013 10:28:54 PM
This is something that has got me thinking.

Looking at this board, there are those who whine and complain about modern FF and Toriyama all the time. Yet, if you don't like the current state of mainline FF, can't you invest in another video game series? There are a lot of fantastic series out there worthy of your time and money rather than FF.

Heck, think about the key FF developers that have moved on from FF. Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu, Ken Narita, Tetsuya Takahashi, Yasumi Matsuno,etc. These are people that don't care about playing the series anymore and yet they are people that used to work on the FF series every single day.

Yet some "fans" just whine on message boards or make idiotic topics like:

-- Hating Toriyama but liking Kitase because he directed FF6, FF7 and FF8. This is despite Toriyama directing FF10, which is more popular and critically acclaimed than FF8.
-- Lumina's panties, Lightning's armpits, Lightning being futarani, Lightning x Lumina, etc.

Instead of these nonsensical topics, can't you just move on from FF? The way I see it, y'all love to complain about FF and bash Toriyama, but if Toriyama offered you $1,000 to no longer play any future FF games, you wouldn't be able to take his offer. In other words, if you don't like the current state of FF but are not willing to leave the series then shut up and deal with it.
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#2RomangeloPosted 2/7/2013 10:40:35 PM
they already moved on to other game series but everytime a new jRPG comes out they're gonna comeback to FF community and use that jRPG as a weapon to bash FF because they're an internet tough guy.

they worship on every other jRPGs, hope those jRPGs will sell millions copies so SE will reconsider their direction and take FF back to its roots but sadly it's just their dream because those jRPGs can't sell as much as FF and SE doesn't give a crap.

other jRPGs still can't defeat FF and their plan to teach SE a lesson are far from successful so they get mad and hate on the new FFs.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#31Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:56:10 PM
Romangelo posted...
they already moved on to other game series but everytime a new jRPG comes out they're gonna comeback to FF community and use that jRPG as a weapon to bash FF because they're an internet tough guy.

they worship on every other jRPGs, hope those jRPGs will sell millions copies so SE will reconsider their direction and take FF back to its roots but sadly it's just their dream because those jRPGs can't sell as much as FF and SE doesn't give a crap.

other jRPGs still can't defeat FF and their plan to teach SE a lesson are far from successful so they get mad and hate on the new FFs.

You make a good point. I'm sure a lot of the Toriyama haters are people that bought FFXIII and didn't even finish it due to how awful it was. As a result, they are pissed about all these FFXIII sequels and target Toriyama as the culprit. This is despite these FFXIII sequels being green lit by Kitase.

Anyway, I doubt the JRPG genre will ever become mainstream again. It's only going to become even more niche like the 2D/3D Fighting game genre. FF is also becoming the new Sonic in modern gaming: It sells well but the games are garbage.

As I've said in my OP, there are far too many new video game series that are worth consumers time and money these days. Back on PS1, you knew that a FF game was going to be the best graphics and production values you'd get on the system. This no longer applies to PS3/360 due to how badly behind FF has gotten in game design. Open world games are what's hot and FF only seems good at scripted cutscenes and linear maps.
---
#4HitzkolpfPosted 2/7/2013 11:04:30 PM
When did you start nutriding Toriyama?

Wasn't your one true love Ito...
---
"I was garbage, the writing transformed." - Raiden
#51Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:21:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6syctheweilderPosted 2/8/2013 12:42:43 AM
Think about it this way; You are Yoshinori Kitase. You've put in a lot of years directing quality titles, but now that Sakaguchi is gone, you're really starting to feel the grind. You need a successor, so do you pick

A) The man who developed the most enduring core systems the franchise is known for, and directed the best game in the series to date

B) The guy who directed Final Fantasy X-2
#7ragnarokiusPosted 2/8/2013 12:45:42 AM
I haven't been really. I got XIII and that's been it since XII. I didn't really have a problem with the series prior to XIII.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m
#81Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:40:16 AM
ragnarokius posted...
I haven't been really. I got XIII and that's been it since XII. I didn't really have a problem with the series prior to XIII.

I'm in the same boat. The only console FF game I have bought since FFXII is FFXIII. I only watched a walkthrough of FFXIII-2 on YouTube.
---
#9wolf riderPosted 2/8/2013 2:49:59 AM
If your favourite sporting team sucks, why do you keep supporting them? Why not just change teams to whichever wins the most?
---
Capcom tries to appeal to the CoD gamer with RE6.
CoD gamer buys the new CoD instead.
#101Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 3:54:03 AM
wolf rider posted...
If your favourite sporting team sucks, why do you keep supporting them? Why not just change teams to whichever wins the most?

You forget the point that FF fans don't just play FF games. They play other JRPGs, too, and even other genre of games. If this was compared to sport then they would be supporting multiple teams in one sport and even across various different types of sport.

It just tells us that certain FF fans have more addiction to the FF series than the actual developers. If players and managers can leave a specific sports team and not give a **** about it after they've gone why can't fans do the same? That's what happened with FF. Sakaguchi, Uematsu, Narita, Takahashi, Matsuno and others have left and no longer care about FF. Why can't FF fans do the same and move on to being fans o some of the other better gaming IPs out there?
---