Why is Final Fantasy 6 afraid of Final Fantasy 7?

#21chocolatesodaPosted 2/8/2013 11:27:00 AM
King_Shortt_IX posted...
7, and 9, yes.

8 no.

Remove 7 and you're golden.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ0XthctSI
#22kirusuPosted 2/8/2013 12:25:13 PM
mistermikeymike posted...
7 is better than 6. you know a lot of people who like 6 are just bandwagon 6 fans. Within the Final Fantasy community it's cool to hate 7 and love 6. And some of the reasons are just a flat out joke

1. The whole story deal? About how the stories are just "so touching." that was BS. 7 had 3x the script length of 6. They spent time developing their characters. And if script means anything they spent 3x as much.

Each of 6's characters is developed like a side character of 7. Take Red XIII. Red XIII's story is like Cyans story. It's a short segment. Or take Barret and Setzer. But the thing is, there was no equivalent to Cloud. The main character.

2. The whole "Kefka destroys the world" thing? Yeah I thought that was a joke. Kefka destroyed the world. But you're all still alive. And walking around. And doin yo thang like nothing every happened. Sure instead of water, you have lava, but whatever. Everyone's alive and kicking. except maybe cid

But Aeriths death; now losing one of your main characters is hard. Had this not been spoiled, this would have been Darth Vader as Lukes father combined with Snape killed Dumbledore mixed in with heaps of Princess in another castle. Aerith is one of the quintessential moments in gaming history. Perhaps the fact that it's so commonly known has drained a lot of the value from it. But ignoring the massive spoiler, I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake. When Aerith dies. You lose her. Forever. You lose your equipment. You lose any progress you made with her. There is no magical "another character is reincarnated with the same stats and abilities" like in 5. She's just dead and you can't fix things. Losing a vital character in the middle of the game like Aerith was killed in 7 is 10x worse than destroying a world that isnt even destroyed. When you talk moments that epitomized gaming Aerith was either 1, 2 or 3 on your list. No questions asked.

3. The OST. 7 wins. Make a list of top OST's for Final Fantasy. 7's in your top 5. Same with individual tracks. It wasn't just that 7 had amazing tracks. The tracks were played at the right time. Aeriths theme at the end of disc 1? Absolutely touching and definitely memorable. Now you might argue how ps1 had better quality music but that's not really fair due to orchestrated versions. Remasters. Whatever Nobuo's done with his band. 6 has some good tracks but a lot of people would be hesitant to consider it better than some of Nobuos finer works.

Now the real reason you might like 6 over 7 is the fact that you enjoyed more of a sandbox world and the additional freedom you were given in the WoR. But liking sandbox games over games that are a bit more scripted is purely personal taste and cannot be argued either way simply because you can't analyze different styles.

i see we have a fanboy here.
---
im not changing this sig until i see a cutscene with lightning on the toilet. hell it doesnt have to be a long one
#23DemonPathRevyaPosted 2/8/2013 12:35:15 PM
I'll agree IX is slightly better but I disagree with VII and VIII. Especially VIII....
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
[Yoshida designs > Nomura designs]
#24Shadowrider70Posted 2/8/2013 1:43:26 PM
DemonPathRevya posted...
I'll agree IX is slightly better but I disagree with VII and VIII. Especially VIII....

Whats so bad about 8? IMPO, it got much better as I got into it. MUCH, better.
---
Currently playing: DMC HD Collection; MGS Collection.
PSN: Shadowrider74
#25UnderratedGamerPosted 2/8/2013 2:37:06 PM
Ducky_Momo posted...
Because Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9!

Which are better games! :D

I'm destined to think that no one will ever make a good "FF6 sucks" topic. They either just makes stupid jokes, or they just get schooled in the argument.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov
#26badboyPosted 2/8/2013 3:01:59 PM
8 > 9 > 6 > 7
#27DemonPathRevyaPosted 2/8/2013 3:27:32 PM
Shadowrider70 posted...
DemonPathRevya posted...

I didn't like the story all that much. It started off kind of decent but as time when on, the only people I found myself caring about were Laguna and his crew (though the same goes for FFX) The mechanics were annoying for me as well and it makes it really easy to get overpowered. I think this is the first FF were I beat the game at level 40.
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
[Yoshida designs > Nomura designs]
#28DragoonGriffithPosted 2/8/2013 3:30:24 PM
I think everyone should just shut up and accept FFVI as their Lord and Savior.
---
Waiting for: Tales of Xillia 2
#29TorgoForeverPosted 2/8/2013 4:30:34 PM
Shadowrider70 posted...
DemonPathRevya posted...

It's the exact opposite for me. Disc 1 is pretty good until Quistis and Irvine ruin The Mission royally. Then it turns into a comedy.
---
"Oh shut up. I played HDN and other RPGs and I don't care if they either good or bad, they're still good." -MewMewFan
#30UnderratedGamerPosted 2/8/2013 11:43:17 PM
mistermikeymike posted...
7 is better than 6. you know a lot of people who like 6 are just bandwagon 6 fans. Within the Final Fantasy community it's cool to hate 7 and love 6.

Actually this is terribly wrong. How is 6 a bandwagon game? It was out before the series was extremely popular? 7 and 10 are definitely the bandwagon games. Why is it that every FF7 fan thinks that FF6 fans hate 7? I like FF7.

7 had 3x the script length of 6. They spent time developing their characters. And if script means anything they spent 3x as much.

LOL. This is laughable. It doesn't matter the length of the script, it matters about the QUALITY. Most of the character in FF7 say the exact same thing as the others in the same predicaments. Barely any of them have a mind of their own. If you don't believe me, go load a file, then choose 2 random characters and play through the story sequence and then restart the game. Afterwards, load up the same file and switch out to two completely different characters and tell me they don't say the same damn thing. The only parts you actually see them in action are when they are in their respective towns. (Ex. Yuffie in Wutai, Barret in Corel, Red XIII in Cosmo Canyon)

Each of 6's characters is developed like a side character of 7. Take Red XIII. Red XIII's story is like Cyans story. It's a short segment. Or take Barret and Setzer. But the thing is, there was no equivalent to Cloud. The main character.

You don't know how development works, do you? You don't need to have over-the-top crazy M Night Shyamalan characters to have them developed. As long as their purpose, mood and contributions relate to the story, then they are developed. At least all of the main characters in FF6 relate to the story. This is around 10 people. The other characters are strictly side characters that don't count. You don't NEED Mog, Umaro, or Gogo. They're just there for fun and aren't accountable for shaving points off of the game. However there are a few useless characters that aren't miss-able in FF7. These of course are Cait Sith and Cid. Cait Sith's role is bare-bones at the most and Cid's reason was bs. He's not after Sephiroth, and at that point in the game, you're not fighting any shinra.
---
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - Isaac Asimov