Can someone explain to me what FF roots are?

#1fftspPosted 2/8/2013 1:53:39 PM
Many old FF fans want Final Fantasy to go back to it's roots. Can some please elaborate on what that means?
#2kupo1705Posted 2/8/2013 1:57:03 PM
They just want a good game.
#3kirusuPosted 2/8/2013 1:58:47 PM
less cutscenes and none lazy story telling that tells stories of the previous games.
---
im not changing this sig until i see a cutscene with lightning on the toilet. hell it doesnt have to be a long one
#4Q SlickPosted 2/8/2013 1:58:54 PM
You could ask a dozen different people this question, and almost invariably, you'll get a dozen completely different answers.

Unless there's one specific opinion that you value so highly that you won't ever consider anyone else's; I seriously doubt you'll get a satisfying answer to your question.
---
Aha! May Della depart a Nissan as Sinatra pedalled Yamaha?
#5fftsp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:05:16 PM
Q Slick posted...
You could ask a dozen different people this question, and almost invariably, you'll get a dozen completely different answers.

Unless there's one specific opinion that you value so highly that you won't ever consider anyone else's; I seriously doubt you'll get a satisfying answer to your question.

That's the whole point in asking, I really want to see other peoples interpretations/opinions. I'm not really looking for the "right" answer, just looking for a general intellectual one
#6gjvaquinoPosted 2/8/2013 2:06:00 PM
kupo1705 posted...
They just want a good game.

I agree with Kupo on this. People are smarter than they look. They will no longer be disctracted with shiny graphics and fast paced gamplay. People want the complete package.
---
Sneer
Plunge into the chasms of time. - Jihl Nabaat
#7DarkKnightCessiPosted 2/8/2013 2:06:13 PM
1-9, especially the ps1 entries, are FF's roots. Most games were different yet held the same FF charm, great battle systems, amazing music, epic story, interesting characters, freedom to explore, interesting side quests, etc. They gave you this special, "oooh I'm playing a FF game" feeling .
---
The Official "Hallowed Father, the First Sire" of all FF boards
#8fftsp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:14:56 PM
DarkKnightCessi posted...
1-9, especially the ps1 entries, are FF's roots. Most games were different yet held the same FF charm, great battle systems, amazing music, epic story, interesting characters, freedom to explore, interesting side quests, etc. They gave you this special, "oooh I'm playing a FF game" feeling .

Best answer I've seen so far, I pretty much am getting the clue
#9Q SlickPosted 2/8/2013 2:20:00 PM
fftsp posted...
Q Slick posted...

That's the whole point in asking, I really want to see other peoples interpretations/opinions. I'm not really looking for the "right" answer, just looking for a general intellectual one

Then you'll get a dozen definitions of what those "roots" are.

But to get a bit more on topic--personally, I think while looking back at their past CAN be a good thing; it's also important not to get TOO wrapped up in it. There are those that might spout something like "if it ain't broke..." but the potential problem with that is just because a particular something worked before; it doesn't mean that nothing else can or nothing else will.

I think it's equally as important to be aware of what's going on currently and try to evolve. While it may not always work as well as you'd hope; missteps like these are only bad if you don't learn from them.
---
Aha! May Della depart a Nissan as Sinatra pedalled Yamaha?
#10badboyPosted 2/8/2013 2:25:21 PM
The only roots I see that are missing are the world map and towns.