XIII is the most underrated game in the series.

#171ExtremeLightPosted 2/13/2013 6:16:47 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...

Sigh... "Now we cross swords!!*
1.)
-FFX: Party set out on Journey. Get stronger. Kill a world leader. Become enemies of the state. Save the world from Sin and Seymour craziness.
-FFXIII: Lightning and Snow set out on journey to save Serah. Attack Fal'Cie. Become enemies of the state. Save the world from Fal'Cie craziness.
^I swear if I am the only one that see the bugging similarity here...

2.) Thanks you for agreeing with me.

3.) True but let be honest, if you backtracked you would find it less enjoying. And why would you go back to any places (except Pulse) in XIII? I mean they can't just waltz back into the Viles Peak or wherever Hope live without negating the story of XIII.

That's grasping at straws. They're entirely different in terms of set up, pacing, mythology, and pretty much everything else, really. And also, in Final Fantasy X, the higher-ups of Yevon are out to get them, not the entire world, and this is later in the game. In Final Fantasy XIII, the entirety of Cocoon is against the party very early on.

2) No problem. It's true, but the Crystarium is a watered down version of the Sphere Grid which offers much more in terms of freedom.

3) Why would I find it to be less enjoyable? If XIII had the ability to let you backtrack and it gave you reasons for doing so (you can now reach places you couldn't before, you can defeat monsters you couldn't face before, you need to complete a quest here, etc. etc.), I'd be ecstatic. I want to experience the world and take my time. I want to see the sights and I want to take in all that I can get from the worlds of Cocoon and Gran Pulse.

Again, they could have easily altered the story to make this happen. The party could have acquired their own airship and they could have traveled from place to place, and gameplay time =/= time in the story. If I can spend hours and hours and hours running around in Gran Pulse, I should be able to spend hours and hours and hours running around in Cocoon with reasons to do so.

1.) I don't mean the whole myth, or Gods, or ideologically. But when it come to the very basics the story become an action version of X to me. And technically most of Spira support Yevon. And they were met with several stops (like that old summoner dude who quit and and the Ronso). Idk, to me it's just all too familiar.

2.) Eh, I recalled I had to used "Level lock" or whatever. Still was limited. Hopefully the international version in FFX HD is much better. To this day I think the License Board is the best despite the guessing thing.

3.) I go to like the thunder plains. Goes all the way back to Lucas? Why would I do that? Ohhh, you're talking about airship lol which negate my entire section. And XIII did had those thing except for the new area as you described.

And what would you do in Cocoon? Fight monsters and monsters and more monsters? Sure they could had added more (which they fixed in 13-2) but what we got, is what we get.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#172DemonPathRevyaPosted 2/13/2013 6:25:32 PM
I hope this doesn't reach 500 posts. >_>
In my opinion FInal Fantasy X is the most overrated game in the series. Final Fantasy VII is pretty overrated in itself, but I blame Nomura for most of that. Honestly the word over and underrated are probably being abused a lot in this topic.

Also to the guy who says Final Fantasy X and XIII are similar, I agree with a little. Both stories (in my opinion) are more convoluted then they need to be, exploration are through tubes, dialogue is laughable, chock full of melodrama and tons of flashy symbols during transition time. But otherwise they are different enough....
---
"Not on my watch Monsieur Napolean Bonerhard!!!" -Tink
[Yoshida designs > Nomura designs]
#173theofficefan99Posted 2/13/2013 6:33:02 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...

Sigh... "Now we cross swords!!*
1.)
-FFX: Party set out on Journey. Get stronger. Kill a world leader. Become enemies of the state. Save the world from Sin ...

2.) Thanks you for agreeing with me.

3.) True but let be honest, if you backtracked you would find it less enjoying. And why would you go back to any places (except Pulse) in XIII? I mean they can't just waltz back into the Viles Peak or wherever Hope live without negating the story of XIII.

That's grasping at straws. They're entirely different in terms of set up, pacing, mythology, and pretty much everything else, really. And also, in Final Fantasy X, the higher-ups of Yevon are out to get them, not the entire world, and this is later in the game. In Final Fantasy XIII, the entirety of Cocoon is against the party very early on.

2) No problem. It's true, but the Crystarium is a watered down version of the Sphere Grid which offers much more in terms of freedom.

3) Why would I find it to be less enjoyable? If XIII had the ability to let you backtrack and it gave you reasons for doing so (you can now reach places you couldn't before, you can defeat monsters you couldn't face before, you need to complete a quest here, etc. etc.), I'd be ecstatic. I want to experience the world and take my time. I want to see the sights and I want to take in all that I can get from the worlds of Cocoon and Gran Pulse.

Again, they could have easily altered the story to make this happen. The party could have acquired their own airship and they could have traveled from place to place, and gameplay time =/= time in the story. If I can spend hours and hours and hours running around in Gran Pulse, I should be able to spend hours and hours and hours running around in Cocoon with reasons to do so.

1.) I don't mean the whole myth, or Gods, or ideologically. But when it come to the very basics the story become an action version of X to me. And technically most of Spira support Yevon. And the...

1. Except it isn't, at all. In Final Fantasy X, the party has a clear goal in mind from the start, whereas in XIII, the party is lost and confused on what to do the whole way through. It's not similar at all.

That's grasping at straws. In Final Fantasy X, you never had regular citizens getting scared of the party or talking about how they want the party to die like in Final Fantasy XIII. The soldiers of Yevon were never actively searching for them, either.

2. The Sphere Grid was barely limited. It had locks at certain points, but you can still go off the beaten path very early on and do your own thing.

The License Board is by far the worst progression mechanic in the series along with the DMW of Crisis Core and the "experience = what you do in battle" system of FFII.

3. You can go back to Luca even before acquiring the airship, and if you want to know why anyone would do that, perhaps it's because they want to relax and talk to some NPC's, or they want to buy some music and movie spheres early on, which you can only buy in Luca. And the fact that X gives you the option is already better than what XIII offered.

No it didn't. It had one or two optional locations for the sake of completing monster quests, but that's it. There were no mini-games (and the one-off lame thing with Hope in Chapter 4 does not count), no real NPC's to chat with, no quests given by real NPC's that were anything other than monster hunts, no real optional bosses, no optional Eidolons, no optional dungeons, etc. etc. etc.

It was just fighting and monster hunts... which is more fighting. XIII has no variety. That's an issue.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#174ExtremeLightPosted 2/13/2013 6:45:47 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...

1.) I don't mean the whole myth, or Gods, or ideologically. But when it come to the very basics the story become an action version of X to me. And technically most of Spira support Yevon. And the...

1. Except it isn't, at all. In Final Fantasy X, the party has a clear goal in mind from the start, whereas in XIII, the party is lost and confused on what to do the whole way through. It's not similar at all.

That's grasping at straws. In Final Fantasy X, you never had regular citizens getting scared of the party or talking about how they want the party to die like in Final Fantasy XIII. The soldiers of Yevon were never actively searching for them, either.

2. The Sphere Grid was barely limited. It had locks at certain points, but you can still go off the beaten path very early on and do your own thing.

The License Board is by far the worst progression mechanic in the series along with the DMW of Crisis Core and the "experience = what you do in battle" system of FFII.

3. You can go back to Luca even before acquiring the airship, and if you want to know why anyone would do that, perhaps it's because they want to relax and talk to some NPC's, or they want to buy some music and movie spheres early on, which you can only buy in Luca. And the fact that X gives you the option is already better than what XIII offered.

No it didn't. It had one or two optional locations for the sake of completing monster quests, but that's it. There were no mini-games (and the one-off lame thing with Hope in Chapter 4 does not count), no real NPC's to chat with, no quests given by real NPC's that were anything other than monster hunts, no real optional bosses, no optional Eidolons, no optional dungeons, etc. etc. etc.

It was just fighting and monster hunts... which is more fighting. XIII has no variety. That's an issue.

1.) Correct me if I am wrong. But in X, they were pretty uncertain for an amount of time (after killing the Maester of Yevon) and being divided and even after reuniting. Still I can not stray from the thought of X and XIII being similar (same director perhaps)
-And maybe it is because we don't see many regular citizens after Bevelle. If I recalled, the Guado and the Ronso dare to oppose them but Yuna's strong words swayed the Ronso of course. And I never said anything about the soldiers searching for them o.o

2.) Uh? How soon? Beside Rikku and Kimarhi? Because like I couldn't get into the other section without the Lv. #
-Excuses, excuses, Officefan. Most people use the internet anyway so hah!

3.) ...Really people have the heart to walk like 2 hours back to Luca from say Thunder Plains? Really? Whatever floats their boats.
-Wrong on the optional dungeons. And why would there be more Ediolons if only one per L'cie?
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#175roxas9001Posted 2/13/2013 6:58:45 PM
no real NPC's to chat with

Most people(99%) on Pulse were dead. I'd love to chat with a feral Behemoth or a man eating plant.
---
Not changing this until DmCrap flops.
I dislike 90% of the FF fanbase.
#176TeamWuPosted 2/13/2013 7:10:51 PM
DemonPathRevya posted...
I hope this doesn't reach 500 posts. >_>
In my opinion FInal Fantasy X is the most overrated game in the series. Final Fantasy VII is pretty overrated in itself, but I blame Nomura for most of that. Honestly the word over and underrated are probably being abused a lot in this topic.

Also to the guy who says Final Fantasy X and XIII are similar, I agree with a little. Both stories (in my opinion) are more convoluted then they need to be, exploration are through tubes, dialogue is laughable, chock full of melodrama and tons of flashy symbols during transition time. But otherwise they are different enough....

100% agreed. 10 a bit more overrated though.
---
This is an alt account
#177ExtremeLightPosted 2/13/2013 7:15:40 PM
roxas9001 posted...

Most people(99%) on Pulse were dead. I'd love to chat with a feral Behemoth or a man eating plant.

I think he meant on Cocoon like After the train ride, and before Eden...

Oh wait there were NPC's!!!!

http://fitpop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/duh-meme.gif
---
#178kupo1705Posted 2/13/2013 7:18:21 PM
roxas9001 posted...

Another case of putting story before gameplay.
#179TeamWuPosted 2/13/2013 7:22:04 PM
LuBu1975 posted...
If you analyse the word something can't be 'over-rated' unless it is 'rated' more than it's worth. VII and X can't be over-rated simply for the fact that they were extremely successful (therefore justifying their ratings).

The game which perfectly fits that word is IX because it is so highly 'rated' (on the net at least) even though it was far less successful (or liked in the real world) than most other FFs.

Also i totally agree with you TC XIII is totally under-rated. I think it was a return to form after the poor XII and online only XI.

Sales don't mean anything. Fable was financially successful too, but a TON of people hated it. Sales don't justify anything.

So you hate FF4-6, 9, 12

And you love FF7, 8, 10, and 13?

LOL you have a TERRIBLE taste of games.
---
This is an alt account
#180levelmaster2Posted 2/13/2013 8:02:51 PM
And you love FF13?

LOL you have a TERRIBLE taste of games.

How is XIII terrible?
---
"Really? Are you sure he doesn't normally speak in pirate?"