Does 3.1 million units shipped/sold justify a sequel in the case of FFXIII-2?

#21j-fielding95Posted 2/15/2013 12:38:01 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
gwoodtamu posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Please show me where Kitase stated that this game sold 3.1 million units, because that's definitely not what I've heard or seen.

If I actually had the desire to look up the interview then I would link you, but I don't because of the alcohol in me, sorry. In the interview he said the FFXIII saga has shipped 9.7 million units thus far, with FFXIII having sold 6.6 million of those,

as for basic math, 9.7 - 6.6 = 3.1

Of course, you can read into it however you want, even Kitase said shipped, then sold in the same paragraph.

Well that doesn't prove anything, then, does it? There's nothing concrete that shows that the game sold 3 million or more.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiiis-creators-justify-a-third-game-in-a-se

It's actually shipped, but the figures are right.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#22mrklarrydPosted 2/15/2013 12:41:35 AM
Considering the cost (or probable lack thereof) of course.

There's erosion of brand confidence to consider, I guess, but I don't see how 13-2 could be argued to have done any damage beyond what 13 did.
#23mrklarrydPosted 2/15/2013 12:44:26 AM(edited)
zodiac_sword posted...
shipped =/= sold

Doesn't it? I'm not so sure. When copies are shipped to a retailer, but unsold, I'm not certain which party takes a bath on it. Might be the retailer, not the publisher. IF it's the retailer, then, from the perspective of the publisher, shipped=sold.
#24mahroflcopterPosted 2/15/2013 3:56:44 AM
mrklarryd posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
shipped =/= sold

Doesn't it? I'm not so sure. When copies are shipped to a retailer, but unsold, I'm not certain which party takes a bath on it. Might be the retailer, not the publisher. IF it's the retailer, then, from the perspective of the publisher, shipped=sold.

Pretty sure the retailers can sell the shipments back after a certain amount of time. And if the retailers took the bath on that then there is no way in hell they are going to order in shipments at XIII-2's level. So it still hurts Square Enix either way since retailers won't risk buying extra copies because they don't want to get screwed again.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
To the Devil May Cry franchise: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif... at least for now.
#25EminentFatePosted 2/15/2013 4:06:02 AM
kupo1705 posted...
Does the quality of the game justify a sequel?

XIII-2 was solid in the gameplay department. The writing is an acquired taste though.
---
Every time you make a Gabe Newell fat joke, he delays Half Life 2: Episode 3 an extra month.
#26gwoodtamu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 9:53:05 AM
@officefan

Hrm, so Kitase saying the series has sold 9.7 million copies and XIII is responsible for 6.6 of those, thus XIII-2 is responsible for 3.1, proves nothing?

Interesting, I guess you and your wisdom know the sales figures better than he does.
#27kupo1705Posted 2/15/2013 9:55:19 AM
EminentFate posted...
kupo1705 posted...

XIII-2 was solid in the gameplay department. The writing is an acquired taste though.

But does it justify a sequel?
I wasn't exactly begging for more when I beat it.
#28drsw36Posted 2/15/2013 10:30:25 AM
kupo1705 posted...
EminentFate posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Even with a TBC? You would rather the story end the way it did in XIII-2? I for one want closure.
---
Proud owner of a : PC, PS3, XBOX360, PSP, DS, PS2, GC, Snes, WII.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drsw36
#29kupo1705Posted 2/15/2013 10:47:41 AM
drsw36 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
EminentFate posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Even with a TBC? You would rather the story end the way it did in XIII-2? I for one want closure.

I liked the ending.