First FF game? Should this be it?

#11ragnarokiusPosted 2/18/2013 1:46:57 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
hyro56 posted...
ExtremeLight is extremely inept. Ignore him.

Take my advice and play the older Final Fantasies first. We were released on the SNES. Work your way up from there. I implore you not to begin your FF experience by playing Final Fantasy XIII first. Play it later down the road after you have played through the eariler FFs.

It doesn't even matter where you start though.

I kinda agree with extreme light.

Still, X is the best bridge between new and old.
---
http://tinyurl.com/8pnek9m
#12hyro56Posted 2/18/2013 1:54:37 PM
The only exception is the Lightning Saga. You never start with any games from the Lightning Saga. It's just a no-no.
---
Please feel free to correct me on my grammar and/or spelling. I appreciate your help.
#13ExtremeLightPosted 2/18/2013 1:57:30 PM
ragnarokius posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
hyro56 posted...
ExtremeLight is extremely inept. Ignore him.

Take my advice and play the older Final Fantasies first. We were released on the SNES. Work your way up from there. I implore you not to begin your FF experience by playing Final Fantasy XIII first. Play it later down the road after you have played through the eariler FFs.

It doesn't even matter where you start though.

I kinda agree with extreme light.

Still, X is the best bridge between new and old.

I think TC should wait till the FFX HD. It is expected next year. I assume you only got a ps3. Chances are you won't like FF13 but then again the complaint for that game was basically that it lack the older FF stuffs. If you can wait I recommend FFX HD or Maybe even Versus XIII if it's on ps3 next year. Most of the older FF are on PSN btw. FF1-9 are available and I think they are 50% off right now in the psn store.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#14drsw36Posted 2/18/2013 2:00:19 PM
Asking that kind of question here is a bad idea since the fanbase is very divided. Just go to YouTube and watch gameplay videos of all the FF and decide for yourself.

I personally think that starting with any FF is fine. They are all different.
---
Proud owner of a : PC, PS3, XBOX360, PSP, DS, PS2, GC, Snes, WII.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drsw36
#15dils-dPosted 2/18/2013 2:00:38 PM
Final Fantasy IX for the Playstation 1 (or Playstation 3 from PSN).

It has a moderately slow and easy gameplay, which might suit you best if you're not accustomed to JRPGs, and the characters and plot are upbeat and whimsical, fitting for a Nintendo fan.
---
Roses are red, rings are of gold
Get on your knees and do as you're told
#16DragoonGriffithPosted 2/18/2013 2:05:24 PM
Play either FF6, FF7, FF9 or FF10 as your first.

They are the generally regarded best games in the series and you can't really go wrong with them.

Any of them is good.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugfYWuG.gif
#17DarkKnightCessiPosted 2/18/2013 2:15:07 PM
drsw36 posted...
Asking that kind of question here is a bad idea since the fanbase is very divided. Just go to YouTube and watch gameplay videos of all the FF and decide for yourself.

I personally think that starting with any FF is fine. They are all different.

Yeah, read some reviews and watch gameplay videos on youtube. That would be the best way to decide which ones you might like.
---
The Official "Hallowed Father, the First Sire" of all FF boards
#18j-fielding95Posted 2/18/2013 2:16:19 PM
Start with X. Probably the cheapest of the series, but also the best.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#19MesmerilPosted 2/18/2013 2:21:46 PM
ClassyCanadian posted...
hyro56 posted...
Since you're a Nintendo fanboy I'd start with the SNES titles. Work your way up from there. The Lightning Saga doesn't give a proper representation of what Final Fantasy is capable of.

Woah woah woah, I am NOT a fanboy! I'm just not a hardcore gamer, and it happens that I've mostly played Nintendo games. Most of the non-Nintendo games don't really appeal as much to me (Cod, Halo, etc) but I'm not big on gaming so IDK lol

marcBook posted...
Start with any FF but the sequels.

So start with FF1? What console is that on?

ExtremeLight posted...
No no. You should play 13. This is a trilogy. If you have a ps2 or a BC ps3 then I recommend ffx and xii. This game is in development and is the sequel to 13-2 which is the sequel to 13.

Hmm, so play FF13 first? I don't have a PS2, sorry :(

Mesmeril posted...
It's your choice, though if you want to start with this game, I suggest you play Final Fantasy XIII, then XIII-2 to understand this game. However; if you are okay with bad graphics, you can start from any of the series as they are not connected at all.

Also, welcome to the series!

Thanks! I'm glad to see that you FF guys are really nice. How bad are the graphics in the other games? Are we talking Pokemon on the Game Boy graphics?

No problem :) Although, I hate to break it to you but this board is quite negative when it comes to what you want to play, but it's all up to you. As for the graphics, the PS1 titles are better compared to the Game Boy Color and Advanced ones. If you want to see them, look up FFVII, VII, VIII on YouTube.

Also, you can play Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI on the Gameboy Advanced, so that works out as well.

Good Luck!
#20EscaSyraPosted 2/18/2013 2:23:43 PM
In my opinion you shouldn't start with VI, VII, X, VIII, XII, IV, III, II, I.

So either V, IX, XIII, or Tactics.